Windows 98 drivers

Thundremech

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
I've just reinstalled Windows 98 into an eMachine etower 566i because the explorer wouldn't respond to anything. I used a copy of someone else's disk because we had lost the disk that came with the eMachine. We haven't gotten it online yet, but it should be soon.
Now, when it configured itself to my hardware, I had a monitor hooked up that stretched or crushed or shuffled the image at different times. I wasn't planning on leaving it hooked up. Windows is now running at the lowest resolution in 16 colors.
Now I hooked the monitor up that came with the system, and nothing's changed, even though the new monitor can handle a much larger resolution and true and high color modes.
What I'd like to know is this. Is this an outdated driver on the windows disk that lacks these more advanced settings? Can I download something to change this?
I haven't registered, and probably won't register, this copy of Windows because I don't want Microsoft flooding me with their "Updates". The last time I updated with this PC, something caused some friction and shot the OS full of holes.

Any help is greatly apreciated.

--- Your friendly neighborhood MechWarrior.

I had a 600Emachines, and I'm pretty sure the video card was a GF2 8Mb Nvidia. Check your video card, if it is an Nvidia chipset, the Nvidia website has Universal Architecture Drivers, you can download the latest drivers from Nvidia and they will work with your card. If its not Nvidia, you should be able to get the drivers from the Emachines website, but good luck on that one.

Heres a tip about Windows updates for Win98, the updates page gives you a list of what Microsoft reccommends that you install on your machine, read each listed update and if Win98 is not specifically mentioned in the update, uncheck it and don't install it, also uncheck the installation of the automatic Windows Updates, and you shouldn't have any problems, I ran into the same situation.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My guess is you're having driver issues. You have to identify the hardware and get the proper drivers.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>