Weird Tray Icon.......

Tags:
  • Security
  • Mice
  • Msconfig
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
February 6, 2013 12:35:48 AM

Hello, I recently started seeing this icon pop up and when i try to move mouse over to identify it disappears. Have noted nothing irregular in msconfig, task, processes or services. This is what the icon looks like....
http://www.ninalabella.com/c/icon.jpg

*UPDATE... thats the actual tray icon.

More about : weird tray icon

a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 1:11:24 AM

Honestly, it could be anything.

Have you installed anything recently that puts something in the task bar?

It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

You should be able to figure out what it is that is starting up and causing the icon to come up.

You can also within Autoruns save the information to a file and post it to a location, such as skydrive, and I can take a look and see if I can isolate what it might be.

If you need help saving the log file, let me know and I can post steps.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 1:14:40 AM

try malware bytes ??
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 1:19:32 AM

smorizio said:
try malware bytes ??

+1

That's a good thought too!

I just think it's going to be seemingly impossible to isolate it down because I can't even begin to figure out how to describe the icon to search it.
m
l
February 6, 2013 1:50:21 AM

Been there did that. I threw everything that I knew of and nothing. Doesnt start with computer and pops up at weird times, almost like an updater of some sort. Not viral or malicious. My 6TB are C L E A N ! I was just hoping with the vast knowledge of this community that someone has saw this icon before.

I havent seen it for a couple days....

I don't know if this has anything to do with it though, My adobe master collection was constantly being bombarded with the Adobe updater and removed it.... possibly a 3rd party Adobe product trying to weasel its way out?

Thanks for the response guys.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 2:58:53 AM

maybe you could try searching for the pc for the file it might have the ico extension and see if its in a program directory. might be a long shot but might help
m
l
February 6, 2013 4:04:52 AM

Just got done going through the 2,000+ ico's and not there. lol

[SOLVED!]

Its a Com Surrogate XVID Decoder!

http://www.xvid.org/uploads/tf/logo_xvid.gif

Thats why I would see it using the adobe master collection... hello...

Thanks for the responses.
m
l
!