AMD has SSE (in case you didn't know)

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From AMD:

3DNow!™ Professional technology for leading-edge 3D operation

21 original 3DNow!™ instructions—the first technology enabling superscalar SIMD
19 additional instructions to enable improved integer math calculations for speech or video encoding and improved data movement for Internet plug-ins and other streaming applications
5 DSP instructions to improve soft modem, soft ADSL, Dolby Digital surround sound, and MP3 applications
52 SSE instructions with SIMD integer and floating point additions offer excellent compatibility with Intel’s SSE technology
Compatible with Windows® XP, Windows 98, Windows 95, and Windows NT® 4.x operating systems

From Tom:

Implementation of the full Intel SSE instruction set. The SSE processor flag is set (if the motherboard BIOS supports Palomino) so that software can recognize AthlonMP as a SSE-capable processor. AMD calls its SSE-implementation '3Dnow! Professional'.

Sorry if you guys already knew this stuff but I've seen a lot of people still saying AMD don't have SSE but they do.

It makes a big difference in multimedia apps.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I believe most people in this forum already knew this. The Palomino includes SSE support. However, at this moment no AMD processors support SSE2.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I think he's asking if it will common in apps in the future. It probably will never be that popular.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
That was my question on another thread, mainly to see if my estimates were similar to those of other folks. The folks who responded suggested at least another year for SSE2 to become more mainstream, just as I was guessing (12-18 months at least) By then Hammer should be shipping. Hammer will include both SSE and SSE2

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
It probably will never be that popular.

Why do you say that? Obviously it has a different application from MMX and SSE, but it will probably still become more mainstream in the future. Hopefully AMD will not be so slow to implement it this time around. We'll see.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
MMX, 3DNow!, and SSE, are basically only seen in games, video editing, and photo editing apps.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, and SSE2 is not? Look at the list of current apps that have SSE2 optimizations. The list of games is the biggest one.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the thing you have to realise is that a lot of people reading this forum are ignorant of such "trivialities" as SSE and the like

if in doubt blame microsoft...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I believe most people in this forum already knew this. The Palomino includes SSE support. However, at this moment no AMD processors support SSE2.

Which is a damn shame, all 3 of those sse2 apps were good ones too! ;-)

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

FatBurger

Illustrious
Have you actually looked at the list? Obviously not.

Operation Flashpoint
Tribes 2
MisicMatch
Cult3D

Hmm...4 that I've used several times, and about 50 total. Not bad for new technology, eh?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
OK burger.

A: the ;-) winking emotocon denots obviously a joke/sarcasm.
B: 50 apps out of literally thousands when sse2 has been around for a year is diddly [-peep-].
c: out of the 4 you listed I only use tribes 2.

If I had been seriously attacking sse2 I would have said something more along the lines of b, but I was making a damn joke, and yes I have read the list. No need to point out that my joke was not accurate, because the rest of the educated people on the forum obviously cant tell what a winking grin means after a line, thankyou for clearing up the confusion.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

FatBurger

Illustrious
For someone who is so actively on the side of AMD, I think you should be more careful in your jokes. It can easily be taken the wrong way. If you had said J/k at the end, then that might be a different story.
And a year isn't really that long, in terms of software development (especially games). Do you think Tribes 2, Max Payne, etc were all whipped out in a few months?