Searching windows live mail

lightbulbfl

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hello,

I am one who had to accept the Windows Live Mail as the e-mail program of use when upgrading to Windows 7. My biggest complaint is the lack of information on a search result. For some reason my installation created duplicate files of many e-mail (topic) folders. When I type in a search term into Windows Live Mail, it will show the note, but will not display the folder location-it does show the account.

I am so used to a user friendly program on a different platform at work that this inability to the location of the document makes the conversion even more of a fight.

When you import into Windows Live Mail, it is important to note that everything you import goes into a folder called "Imported Items". If you somehow have everything in your Inbox already, this will of course create duplicate items.

I'm not quite understanding what you are getting at with the search issue... you also have to remember that WLM is a free product from Microsoft... which means that it won't be as feature-rich as their paid product - Outlook. You might give Thunderbird a try or even one of the other free email clients out there if WLM isn't doing what you need it to do.

lightbulbfl

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Thanks Z: I've used other free programs that seem to provide better end results. Was quite pleased with Windows Mail in Vista, but W7 halted that.

Given the misfortune that happened when I made the switch (Dec), I have to live with the consequences and whittle duplicates out. Since this computer houses personal work for non-profits and other activities, there are FAR too many notes. Right now I would have to manually type a keyword into Windows search. On my office Mac computer, the free program makes me wonder about the Microsoft programmers.

I had actually peeked at the Thunderbird website, but screen images and a lack of information that I see at first look, make me wonder if I would end up in the same position. Prior to Windows Mail, I had used Outlook (full version) until it started to send out multiple copies (upwards of 20) of some notes when just one was needed. Recipients really gave it to me, so I made the change.