is upgrade to PIII 1.2 Ghz possible?

G

A friend asked if he can upgrade his current PIII 850 to a PIII 1.2 Ghz?

Since I built my dual 1000 I haven't really been following the PIII's. It appears there are now two different versions, the Tualatin at 1.13 and 1.26 and the non-Tualatin version at 1.13 and 1.20 Ghz. Is the non-Tualatin version intended as an upgrade for existing PIII 1Ghz and below motherboards? Does the new 1.2 require different voltage or socket (even though the pin count appears to be the same)?

Thanks.

G

For both versions you need a new motherboard/socket?

Why are there two different versions for that matter?

G

Oops - made a typo. Existing processor is an 800 not an 850, if that makes a difference.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
its not the chips core to make it a different socket, there are few changes in the pin-array for the new core, thus you need few changes on the motherboard non-software related, this couldnt be solved from bios update, but a new mobo supporting it would probably work with both processors.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Actually, both of the 1.13 and 1.2's ARE Tualatin. There is a 256k L2 version and a 512k L2 version of each.
And yes, you need either a new motherboard or a 3rd party adapter (slocket).

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

G

I am late in reading your post, but if you have not looked any deeper into the cost of the hardware for the 1.2G PIII, I think you will find any other processor a better bet. I have one and got it "very" cheep. While it is a nice processor and it's potential is good, it is an upgrade dead end, so ordered by Intel's market policy. You would be better off to invest in a new M/B and memory for a P4 or an AMD. Also, you can buy a new M/B and processor for what the 1.2G cost alone. Just my opinion, but then I own one.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Older Coppermine and Tualatin have different sockets. The Coppermine is FCPGA while the Tualatin is FCPGA2.

Although the number of pins on the socket is the same, they differ by placement of some signal pins. A processor socket definition is not just the physical socket, it is a complete specification of its physical, electrical and logical characteristics.

Currently Coppermine P-IIIs are available upto 1 GHz, and a 1.1 GHz version with 100 MHz FSB is also available. Tualatin is currently available in 1.13 and 1.2 GHz, and I expec to reach 1.5~1.6 GHz, with a higher FSB of 166 MHz!

Tualatin uses lower voltage than its predecessors, which was fine if it had to be used on older boards. But it also uses a new kind of clock signal, a differential clock that requires a new Southbridge, in effect a motherboard.

Most of the P-III chipsets now have Tualatin versions, but you do need a board upgrade anyway to support the Tualatin.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I personally would take the cost of just the tualitin and get an athlon 1.33 a mobo, a heatsink and a psu and even possibly some ram, thats what we call a good deal.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Fat, Tualatins dont need any external adapter. They dont work with older chipsets. They simply need a new motherboard.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>