Sign in with
Your question

Entertainment break! Laugh at my missfotune.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 24, 2001 12:54:55 AM

Was fiddling round with overclocking last nite. It was quite a warm evning for spring.
im not going to try running at 1425Mhz again untill my new cooler arives...
so instead i was trying 10x140=1400Mhz. still pushing the current cooler (fop32-1) a bit too much with 1.93V methinks.

i was playing serious sam, usually very stable, with lots of download in the background when CRUNCH. lockup... managed to alt tab back to the desktop but no further.

"oh well" i thought, there goes 1400mhz, will just have to use 'old faithful' (1350Mhz @ 1.85V).

pressed reset and waited for the usual reliable win2k reboot...

RUH ROH. bluescreen... something about system32/cache/SOFTWARE and my registry. corrupt, missing or unwriteable.

next step... try a safe mode. also dead
and the next... tried a last known good bootup... also dead as a doornail.

POP... out comes the win2k CD for the windows repair option.

think that would work wouldnt you? NOPE. must have really screwed it up bad cauz according to the CD there was no windows to repair!

rescue disks didnt work either...
only solution was a complete windows rebuilt *sigh*
all my programs, shortcuts drivers gone. well the actual directories and files are still there, but are basically dead as all the registry settings and links no longer exist.
*sighs*
at least i know what i need to reinstall, so the process is fortunately a bit faster.

CONCLUSIONS:
1. felt like a idiot
2. am thinking now that HOPEFULLY this has taught me not to push overclocking without the right tools, namely the new swiftech 462A when it finally gets here.
3. to update my emergency repair disks once everything has settled... incase i have another "idiot attack" and do something else remarkably dumb.

P.S. did i tell you all about me win2k reinstall from a few weeks back? that too was another "idiot attack" i deleted an unknown, but as it turned out, extreemly critial, bit of hardware from the hardware profiles. wont be doin that again either. lol

comments? giggles? wild sniggering at my idiotic misfortune?

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 24, 2001 1:22:08 AM

All I can say is that swiftech might or might now help you. I have a relatively high performance Global WBK38 and two 2500RPM case fans and they don't help me get to 1.4GHz perfectly stably. I don't think 1.2GHz AXIA and maybe even the 1GHz AXIA are as overclockable as people thought. I believe that there are sideeffects to the overclocking that aren't very clear.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
October 24, 2001 1:22:36 AM

Hehe. Sorry about what happened. I wonder what will happen when my little bro starts using this computer, and decided to delete some file in the directory winnt.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2001 11:18:37 AM

I aint laughing. I have had this sort of crap often enough. Thats why I now have a spare 20gb (slow ATA33) disk that contains a backup of my "essential" files, allowing me to do a full restore in a few minutes.

---- "Creative soundcards are excellent, <snip> It's worth the low price." (c) intel_inside
October 24, 2001 11:57:34 PM

same here.
my old IBM 16GP (5400rpm, 512k cache, ata33) was retired as the primary drive to become my MP3 repository and utilities store... so everything i need to install is there.

its just all the damn settings and tweaks that take so blessed long to reconfigure...

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 25, 2001 12:13:16 AM

and it makes you think was overclocking and having to reinstall windows worth getting a few extra fps in serious sam? I would honestly be happy with a 1ghz system right now, why do you power users always have to push it? :) 
October 25, 2001 12:17:53 AM

If it was one of the IBM 75GXP's, they are known to have had a VERY high failure rate for a while.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:
October 25, 2001 12:40:04 AM

nope.
60gxp
and
16gp

had the 16gp for 3 years now... been round the world and back. not one single glitch issue or bug. ever. (despite the number of times win95 & 98 tried to kill it)

October 25, 2001 12:45:20 AM

well... yes
that and checking to see weather 1400mhz was stable using my current hsf... obvious the answer was no.
am now back at 1350 @ 150 & 1.85v and happy as pie (untill the new cooler arives) :) 

i used to be happy with one speed jump out of a core...

i.e. 500mhz celleron to 566, athlon 1200 to 1333...
now i want two by getting my system stable at 1400.
ideally i want 9.5x150=1425 and get the best of both worlds. high mhz & high fsb.

October 25, 2001 12:45:50 AM

cant be 60gxp, its a newer product then the 75GXP, 3 years cant be the product your talking about.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
October 25, 2001 12:50:28 AM

because we can? :smile:

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details
October 25, 2001 12:50:33 AM

course not!
im talking about the 16GP!
16.8Gb, 5 platters, one of the first true Giant magnetoresistive head drives, ata33, 5400rpm, 512k cache. blah blah blah.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2001 5:08:23 AM

You don't think your HDD might not like the bus speed? Timeing issue with your HDD could have screwed your Registry, could it not?

Man its late... I'm starting to sound like Yoda.
October 25, 2001 5:38:23 AM

I think you need to think about what you’re doing, breathe, look at what you’ve been through and take a step back. But wait, to take a step back you need to learn how to back up. Or at least back off the MHZ for a while. It only takes 1-2GB to back up your WINNT directory and you can often do it on the drive your working with.

Schmide

Speed is a drug and speed kills, ask any OC'er, burnout, or junkie.
October 25, 2001 6:09:42 AM

possibly... but unlikely.
the clear limit for my HDD is 154mhz... 154 it works, 155 it doesnt.
and in particular, it crashed while doing 10x140=1400, yet is extreemly stable at 9x150=1350... so its definately too high in the mhz, not the fsb.

October 25, 2001 6:33:21 AM

I agree. My 1.2 AXIA tops out at 1350 (10 x 135) with a OCZ Gladiator/Delta which should be a pretty decent HSF. 10 x 138 will work but not stable.
October 25, 2001 11:48:46 AM

WHAT?
if you have a problam its the CPU generating errors, not the HD, the HD does nothing to do with CPU clock.
might have been a virus..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
October 25, 2001 12:15:45 PM

this is most amusing....
people finding issues that arnt there for porblems allready solved.

twazz excess heat & mhz that did it.
plain and simple.

October 25, 2001 12:18:47 PM

138Mhz huh?
have u tried 9.5x142= 1349?
whats holding u back? the absolute Mhz or your system bus speed?
can your ram DO 142?

!