Whats better? Swiftech 462A or alpha PAL-8045?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
does anyone know if a face to face comparison has been done between the
Swiftech MC-462A and the Alpha PAL-8045U?

thanx

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
The Alpha won in <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1532&p=1" target="_new">Anand's review</A>.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmms. interesting
as i see it they didnt actually test the 462 this time... results were a hold over from earlier testing. the only swiftech in the big list was the baby brother, mcx370.

think i need more results before comitting myself either way

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
sorry but don't know where to post it, i ordered an mcx370 earlier today, and they've changed their clips. seems nicer now, where each clip will hook onto all 3 tabs on each side of the socket. hmm, maybe they were having troubles with the weight and their initial clips?

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
I have MCX370, old one w/one clip. Works great.
One important thing: DO NOT USE thermal compound
that comes with. It cripples cooling.
Get some ArcticSilver.
(talking from personal experience)

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

G

I have been looking for that very same comparison, but failed to find one. But since the Aplha was not available over here, the choice was easy; i got a Swiftech MC-462A , and I must say I'm very impressed with it. I attached a 80mm Pabst NLM fan, and it keeps my 1.4 tbird very cool (46° under Seti) and extremely silent.

Not sure if the Alpha PAL has clips, but if it does, I'd go for the swiftech if it where only for the mounting mechanism which is both extremely easy, and reliable. Quite a difference with my previous Silverado that scared the hell out of me by being so heavy and only attached by two flimsy clips.

---- Quote of the day: "I hope admin can delete massages.."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no...
both of the HSF's are of the "LARGE" variety...
80mmx80mm & attached via 4 MB screw holes.