Newsgroup buddies - I love you!

Some bozo sold me a beautiful Latitude CP for a hundred bucks.
Flawless case, keyboard and screen. I soon discovered why it was so
cheap. Upon boot-up a message arrived announcing some sort of registry
error and demanding to be closed and rebooted. After struggling and
struggling it was possible to minimize the prompt, but upon opening
Word, Excel, etc. and keying in a character or two - CRASH!

Was it the processor, the MB, my own bad Kharma? Who knew?
Tried to sell the damn thing, but, describing the defect, no buyers
came forth.

So I told my troubles to this newsgroup and after eliciting several
varying responses, some wizard came forth with the assertion that the
memory module should be replaced. Worth a try, but I didn't want to
throw 50 bucks more into the sewer. However, a casual search of
Pricewatch came up with a click-thru to an outfit in NJ that would
sell a 64mb stick for $13.50, shipped. Ah, what the hell!

The memory came in yesterday's mail. Snapped it in and now I've got a
perfect, flawless, functioning Latitude CP, thanks to somebody out
there in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell - land. Unfortunately, the thread is
gone.

Just ordered a second 64mb module to keep the first one company.

Walt

nub

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

pixsnap@juno.com (Pixsnap) wrote in news:2c397556.0409231059.56474c65
@posting.google.com:

> Some bozo sold me a beautiful Latitude CP for a hundred bucks.
> Flawless case, keyboard and screen. I soon discovered why it was so
> cheap. Upon boot-up a message arrived announcing some sort of registry
> error and demanding to be closed and rebooted. After struggling and
> struggling it was possible to minimize the prompt, but upon opening
> Word, Excel, etc. and keying in a character or two - CRASH!
>
> Was it the processor, the MB, my own bad Kharma? Who knew?
> Tried to sell the damn thing, but, describing the defect, no buyers
> came forth.
>
> So I told my troubles to this newsgroup and after eliciting several
> varying responses, some wizard came forth with the assertion that the
> memory module should be replaced. Worth a try, but I didn't want to
> throw 50 bucks more into the sewer. However, a casual search of
> Pricewatch came up with a click-thru to an outfit in NJ that would
> sell a 64mb stick for $13.50, shipped. Ah, what the hell!
>
> The memory came in yesterday's mail. Snapped it in and now I've got a
> perfect, flawless, functioning Latitude CP, thanks to somebody out
> there in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell - land. Unfortunately, the thread is
> gone.
>
> Just ordered a second 64mb module to keep the first one company.
>
> Walt

n00b

Walt,

Indeed, many people around here are more than just generous! I've got lots of
help thru these newsgroups. And BTW, I like the way you put it. Are you a
writer by any chance? ..not a CD/DVD writer.

kindly,
SfS