Hotsync to Virtual PC on OS X Panther?

March 24, 2005 2:04:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hi There--

Has anyone successfully hotsynced their palm (I have a Visor Edge) to
virtual PC? There are some apps that only run on PC that I'd like to
use.

I've been unable to hotsync when Virtual PC is running in the
foreground. I'm running Panther OS X 10.3.7 .

I've found a lot of posts where people are unable to hotsync to VPC. I
haven't found any that say that it can be done.

I've read that by disabling hotsync on the OSX side, you should, in
theory, be able to do it, but all of the replies to this suggestion
imply that this doesn't work and can cause conflicts between drivers
necessitating a re-install the palm desktop. If this isn't your
experience, please let me know. The re-install isn't that hairy, and
I'd be willing to risk it if someone says that it actually works for
them.

Hope everyone is having a terrific day,

Lee

(hotsynch - for future searchers who spell creatively)
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 4:07:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Yeah sure I have...what I have used is the HotSync utitly with the Palm
Desktop Software for Mac OS X...if you want to sync to iCal there are
some extra steps you have to take...If you have Palm desktop installed
you should be able to sync it up without any hassle...
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:03:27 AM

On 2005-03-24, comatoast23@gmail.com <comatoast23@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone successfully hotsynced their palm (I have a Visor Edge)
> to virtual PC? There are some apps that only run on PC that I'd like
> to use.

How are you trying to hotsync? I have used hotsync to a VMWare
machine runnign Windows hosted on Intel-based Linux and found that the
most reliable method is to use network hotsyncing. If you can get
reliable network communication between the virtual PC and the mac then
that's probably your best bet.

To do this, set up hotsync manager to allow network syncs (Setup menu
IIRC), figure out the IP address that your mac can use to communicate
with your virtual PC, then enter that as the hotsync host in the
Palm's hotsync app. Then hit the hotsync icon and run pi-nredir from
the pilot-tools package, this takes a connection from the Palm and
forwards it across the network to the host named in the Palm's network
hotsync settings, your Virtual PC in this case. The Hotsync Manager
then spots this and does the sync.

I've been using this setup for some time under Intel-based linux, so
if you can get an OSX-based version of the pilot-transfer package to
work then you could use this method. If you have specific mac
software that supports similar methods then you could use that. I
have a menu entry on a backdrop menu that has "Local Sync" and
"Network Sync" on it, I can then hit sync on the palm and hit "Local
Sync" on the menu to sync to Linux, or hit "Network Sync" to sync to
the Windows apps running within VMWare.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
March 25, 2005 1:31:58 AM

In article <1111691055.980419.316390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
comatoast23@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi There--
>
> Has anyone successfully hotsynced their palm (I have a Visor Edge) to
> virtual PC? There are some apps that only run on PC that I'd like to
> use.
>
> I've been unable to hotsync when Virtual PC is running in the
> foreground. I'm running Panther OS X 10.3.7 .
>
> I've found a lot of posts where people are unable to hotsync to VPC. I
> haven't found any that say that it can be done.
>
> I've read that by disabling hotsync on the OSX side, you should, in
> theory, be able to do it, but all of the replies to this suggestion
> imply that this doesn't work and can cause conflicts between drivers
> necessitating a re-install the palm desktop. If this isn't your
> experience, please let me know. The re-install isn't that hairy, and
> I'd be willing to risk it if someone says that it actually works for
> them.

Just curious, but why would you want to do that? You can download the
Palm Desktop software for Mac OS X and it will work better than what you
propose.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:11:21 AM

Shawn Hearn wrote:

> In article <1111691055.980419.316390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> comatoast23@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi There--
>>
>> Has anyone successfully hotsynced their palm (I have a Visor Edge) to
>> virtual PC? There are some apps that only run on PC that I'd like to
>> use.
>>
>> I've been unable to hotsync when Virtual PC is running in the
>> foreground. I'm running Panther OS X 10.3.7 .
>>
>> I've found a lot of posts where people are unable to hotsync to VPC. I
>> haven't found any that say that it can be done.
>>
>> I've read that by disabling hotsync on the OSX side, you should, in
>> theory, be able to do it, but all of the replies to this suggestion
>> imply that this doesn't work and can cause conflicts between drivers
>> necessitating a re-install the palm desktop. If this isn't your
>> experience, please let me know. The re-install isn't that hairy, and
>> I'd be willing to risk it if someone says that it actually works for
>> them.
>
> Just curious, but why would you want to do that? You can download the
> Palm Desktop software for Mac OS X and it will work better than what you
> propose.

Did you read what he wrote? How does he get the "apps that only run on PC"
to run on OS X without Virtual PC? Presumably the Palm Desktop is not the
application in question.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hi Again--

Thanks for all your replies. The network hotsyncing sounds interesting.
I'm on a USB connection to my palm.

How do I find out the IP address for the Virtual PC?

During the install of the palm desktop on VPC, it asks me to hotsync.
If I don't, will that screw up all future attempts to hotsync? I'm
assuming that I can alter the settings once it's installed to enable
network hotsyncing.

However, I would like to get USB working with Virtual PC, as there are
other things I'd like to do with it. But one thing at a time.

You guys are terrific! Thanks,

Lee
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 1:10:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

<comatoast23@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been unable to hotsync when Virtual PC is running in the
> foreground. I'm running Panther OS X 10.3.7

I've synced both my palm and PocketPC through VPC, but it is a bit of a
black art. What connector is on the Visor - USB or Serial? Received
wisdom (*) is that the choice of USB-Serial is critical, with the fast
Keyspan ones tending to success.

If it's USB, look in PC Settings - USB: does the Visor appear here? If
it does then a Windows problem is more likely than a Mac one. PocketPCs
can suffer from the Mac desktop application not letting go of the
connection even if they are not running; unloading the relevant kext
files through the terminal is the answer here; I've never heard of this
being needed with a Palm, however.

Gwynne

(*) Defined as 'I heard it somewhere, but can't remember the source'.
--
My real email is net, not line.
Anonymous

On 2005-03-26, Gwynne Harper <g.harper@gmx.line> wrote:

> I've synced both my palm and PocketPC through VPC, but it is a bit
> of a black art. What connector is on the Visor - USB or Serial?
> Received wisdom (*) is that the choice of USB-Serial is critical,
> with the fast Keyspan ones tending to success.

I did post on this one earlier but didn't word it all that well,
talking about various non-standard linux packages that I use. I don't
think you'd need them though as the Mac hotsync manager should have
the functionality required to do network hotsync forwarding. It's
standard on the PC.

Try to use the Mac version of Palm Desktop hotsync manager to take a
hotsync connection from the Palm and forward it across a virtal
network connection to the Virtual PC running the Windows hotsync
manager. The problems you chaps are having with the Mac and Virtual
PC appear to be indentical to those that us Linux bods have when
trying to sync with VMWare -- using the virtual serial or USB devices
is unreliable and too much hassle. The network drivers on the other
hand are well sorted.

This method relies on standard functionality and standard drivers with
no tricks required, the hotsync manager on MacOS should be able to
sync with a remote networked machine, it's standard functionality on
the PC version for sure.

On VMWare the virtual machine and the host system have a TCP/IP
connection between them running entirely in memory, so no need to have
the host system on a real network. I'd expect Virtual PC to be the
same.

This method has been totally reliable for me so far and I use it for
various programs that have no native linux equivalent, e.g. syncing
with Outlook, Documents To Go and the Radio Times TV guide.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 10:02:00 PM

On 2005-03-26, comatoast23@gmail.com <comatoast23@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all your replies. The network hotsyncing sounds
> interesting. I'm on a USB connection to my palm.

Yep that's fine, that's what I use when I do my linux->vmware trick.

> How do I find out the IP address for the Virtual PC?

Not having used Virtual PC I'm not sure if it even can access the
network, if it can then start it up and run Winblows, then use the
"run" entry to start "cmd", then type "ipconfig" to get various IP
addresses. Use one that you can ping from the Mac.

> During the install of the palm desktop on VPC, it asks me to hotsync.
> If I don't, will that screw up all future attempts to hotsync? I'm
> assuming that I can alter the settings once it's installed to enable
> network hotsyncing.

No need to bother with the initial hotsync IIRC, when you get it going
the PC will ask you if you want to create a new account for the user.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:42:49 PM

On 2005-03-24 22:31:58 -0500, Shawn Hearn <srhi@comcast.net> said:

> In article <1111691055.980419.316390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> comatoast23@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi There--
>>
>> Has anyone successfully hotsynced their palm (I have a Visor Edge) to
>> virtual PC? There are some apps that only run on PC that I'd like to
>> use.
>>
> Just curious, but why would you want to do that? You can download the
> Palm Desktop software for Mac OS X and it will work better than what
> you propose.

He might have Zagat - to -Go which is one of my fav Palm apps.. but the
idiots at Zagat turned this into Windows bloatware and as a result, the
app which manages the updating and selection of databases on the Palm
only runs in Windows. When I get some time, I am going to see if i
can make this work on GuestPC for the Mac.

Jim
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:00:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hi Everyone--

What I have is one of those adorable little keyboards that folds in
half and is the same size as the palm. I do a lot of interviews and
then transcribe them, or am at luncheon meetings, where having that
little keyboard is just wonderful. I hate transcribing, so to make it
as pleasant as I can, I go rollerblading and have the palm and keyboard
in my fanny pack and go down to the river or seaside and type at a
picnic table until a bunch of little kids come along and want to play
with them, then I rollerblade somewhere else. It's really sweet.

Also, if you're at a luncheon meeting with one of them, it's instant
authority. It's so elegant and cute, you _must_ know what you're doing.
Go figure.

Still haven't had a big enough chunk of time to devote to trying to
figure out the hotsync over network thing. I'm going to try that
tonight.

I hope you're all having a terrific day. I'll let you know how this
turns out.

Thanks,

Lee
!