how many fans and placement?

G

Hello everyone:

I'm attempting my first build w/ 1.4 t-bird. I don't plan on OC'ing but I do want proper cooling for my case. So, how many fans do you think will be needed? 2,3...more?

This is what I was thinking of for fan placement. Please, for those with experience, let me know if you have a better setup. Fan in front blowing in. Fan at back blowing out. Fan on side of case blowing on the processor and a fan on top blowing out. I thought this would be best for proper air flow.

Any and all comments are aprreciated.

Have a good one!!

Bruce

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If you have an enermax or another dual fan psu you can ditch the fan in back blowing out, otherwise this setup is perfectly fine for non overclocking.

One fan in front pulling in, one fan(or psu intake fan if you have a good model) in the upper back pulling out.

Thats it, no hurricane no ice cubes, if you dont overclock athlons arent all that special in regards to cooling methodology.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Depends on the case and such. Get a good Heat Sink and you should be fine. I like the Volcano 6 CU personaly, it's been doing a good job on my Athlon XP 1600+. After than, one intake and one out take fan should be good.

Some review site did an article on fans and air flow. If I can find it (or someone else can) I'll post it here for you.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I'd say that something fairly reasonable is:

An intake fan, about 80x80x25 or larger, in the lower front of the case.
An exhaust fan, about 60x60x25 or larger, in the upper rear of the case (generally in a vertical position similar to the CPU's vertical position).
A good quality 300+W power supply with an 80x80x25 or larger fan and intake vents on the underside, drawing hot air off the CPU area. We tend to favor Enermax, but a lot of people find Antec to be good (especially people on a budget).

I personally favor Sunon or Papst for fans. Papst is the very finest quality; Sunon is quite decent for those on a budget.

You can go beyond this with many cases, but this should be sufficient for non-OC'ers.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."