Cracked Core?

Ok, i've been trying to help a neighbor of mine set up his computer. And this is really killing me cuz i can't fix the problem- The symptoms are:

When the computer is turned on (cold boot)it starts for a second and then dies. (You can see the fans spin up but then they stop, i haven't tried measuring the voltage yet, so you know there is current). There also seem to be a few random clicks when it boots.

Everything in this computer is new-KG7 Tbird 1.2.

Now the real bitch is the dude bought a cheap-arse heatsink which, in all my life, i have never seen anything go on as tight.

I have two real concerns and perhaps you can anwser this for me..

1) I've never had a cracked core but it seems to me that this is how it MIGHT behave... anyone?
2) The power supply (300w) can't handle the output... although there is nothing in the system except a Radeon (VE?) the MB and the CPU. *(and ram of course). There are a couple of case fans, but they are not plugged in. So 300w should be able to cover it.

Anyone?

P.S. This another reason why i suspect the power supply: After the first cold boot, it refuses to boot at all, you have to unplug the power cord from the wall to get it to jerk on and off again. (no pun intended).

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel
11 answers Last reply
More about cracked core
  1. Could be a bad supply, try replacing it first. A cracked core wouldn't boot up normaly, but depends. Could also be the HS isn't working well, and hte CPU is overheating quickly

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
    Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:
  2. I can guarantee it isn't overheating cuz the on/off process occurs in LESS than a second (and the HSF is still damn cold). I am in the process of checking the PS, but no news on that yet. I wanted to know what happened when you gents had cracked cores.

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel
  3. Is there a fan plugged into the motherboard? Most motherboards will not start unless they have a fan connected to them. To start an ATX power supply, connect the yellow line to a black line. Some black lines won’t start up the PS, but they won’t make it blow up either. Red lines and yellow lines, not so good.

Schmide
  4. Yeah, the HSF is plugged into the Mobo. But thanks for the tip, i'll try hooking some other peripheral into the PS. Btw, hooking a yellow line with a black line will short the PS, i'm pretty sure. I don't think you should try that....
  5. On Abit mobo's, as schmide said, you gotta have a fan with reliable measurement of rpm, on the kg7 atleast 4500rpm.
    You can change that by entering bios (if possible(,usually within 10-20 secs)), in PC Health Status change CPU FAN to OFF.

As for the psu it's possible to make a switch, as i have for running 3 120mm Sunons, by connecting Brown-Black, on others Green-Black, depends on brand of psu.
  6. The kg7 wont run without a fan in the cpu fan header on the mobo, try plugging the heatsink fan into the OTHER header, should fix your issue.

~Matisaro~
    "The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    ~Tbird1.3@1.5~
  7. Actually, I have a kg7 raid and the system booted up without any fans plugged into the board. It was an accident that I forgot to plug in the HSF but good thing I'm used to a noisy fan, something was "quiet" peculiar
  8. Colon, some bios revisions come with the fan hetection turned off, his is obviously turned on, hence the fix. The KG7 I bough my wife the other day came with the fan header warning turned on.

If you dont believe me, go to your bios, under hardware monitoring and turn on the top option.(its called fan protection mode or something), and unplug your fans from your mobo. No boot.

~Matisaro~
    "The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    ~Tbird1.3@1.5~
  9. Quote:
    connect the yellow line to a black line

I reallly wouldnt try that if I were you

However shorting the GREEN wire to ground (i.e. black) will power on an atx psu, BUT in this case I WOULDNT try it- thats fine if you want to power on an atx supply, but in this case we dont- well not manually, its in a system here, and should, strangely enough come on on its own.
    Back to the original post, if you are concerned the cpu may be chipped, remove the hsf and have a look! if the fans turn a fraction and then stop, providing all connections etc are ok, it sounds like either a faulty psu,cpu or mobo, anything else faulty you should still get fans and the psu powering up

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
  10. No, the powersupply is ok. As for the fan, i've tried plugging it into every possible header already (Abit says Fan4 and that's what i started out with, then tried others, still no go). What was that about having a minimum RPM? Although i don't think that applies. C:
    The computer doesn't boot up/display anything or do anything. When you hit the switch the fans try to spin up e.g. they make a few rotations at a speed thats definitely lower than they are designed for. And then everything is dead again. No way in hell do they reach 4500 rpm.

So once again, i put out the call (and can someone please tell me what happens when a you have a cracked core, cuz though i have 3 athlons i never had a single one??)

thx.

11. >So once again, i put out the call (and can someone please tell me what happens when a you have a cracked core, cuz though i have 3 athlons i never had a single one??)

far too many Amd horror stories everywhere, Amdzone, Thg, Amdmb, with cracked cores, get a clue! the core is cracked! imminent meltdown awaits you. do yourself a favor RMA ---> AMD.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer