AMD's response to Tom's Hardware CPU burn-up

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Try rereading Tom's article. He clearly stated on the <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/heatvideo-01.html" target="_new">second page</A> that he used a motherboard specifically designed to make use of the Palomino's thermal diode.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Have you checked that video ? it is only 2.6 meg

If that's the case, how come that Athlon never burnt even the heatsink was removed ?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I started the download but it was way too slow. Then I realized it came from an unknown site without even a hostname. I do not download anything from unknown sites. Even if it really is a movie, since it is from an unknown (and hence untrustworthy) source, I would imagine they could have done any number of things to keep it from burning up. For example, you could have two computers, one running some benchmark while the other is off. Just set your camera on the one that is off and remove its heatsink. It certainly will not burn up, will it?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

I can understand your feeling for downloading stuff from an unknown site. Let's hope it will become available later in other "brand" name website thne you will understand when I meant in my very first post.

It is a video taken by AMD. It shows that HSF was taken off while when the Athlon was running Quake3. The computer just become blank without demaging the chip, and the Athlon keep running for more than 9 mins when the CPU fan was unplugged.
It is just very different to what Tom has shown us before.

This video is not super clear but it has some chessy music too.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
<i>"The next bit of news we have to report isn't as positive and it is in regards to support for the Athlon XP's on-die thermal diode. One of the mobile centric features of AMD's new Palomino core is the long awaited introduction of a thermal diode to more accurately measure the chip's temperature on the die itself. Unfortunately, as we saw when the first Intel processors began shipping with on-die thermal diodes years ago, motherboard manufacturers are very slow to support the diode with their designs. All three of the boards we evaluated continued to use external thermisters to measure CPU core temperature in spite of the presence of the new thermal diode in the Palomino cores. This was to be expected as it wasn't until the latter days of the Pentium III and really until the Pentium 4 that we saw motherboard manufacturers read CPU temperatures directly off of Intel's on-die diodes. While it would be nice to see a quicker adoption phase with Socket-A motherboards we're not getting our hopes up. As you can probably guess, a major feature for all of the current and upcoming KT266A motherboards is full support for AMD's Athlon XP processor."</i>
-Anandtech, VIA KT266A Initial Roundup; 10/24/2001

Now, this isn't Gospel truth or anything like that. I'm just saying that it's Anandtech's impression that there are no chipsets out there that yet support the on-board diode yet. Now, I realize that THG states that the KT266 has the hardware to use the on-board diode, but to have the KT266A not have it makes no sense. Therefore, someone, somewhere is wrong, and I couldn't tell you who. But, I have read from other sites as well that current chipsets (or motherboard makers) do not have the on-board diode reading capability. *Shrug* Maybe it's a matter of the motherboard manufactuers not implimenting the traces and circuitry to take advantage of it.

-SammyBoy

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Sammy is right, the older board would not have had the thermal hardware if the newer one does not, also just because tom says the mobo was equipped to handle the palomino does NOT mean that it was. Tom may have thought it was, but only tom is saying it was.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
yeah but if it were an intel processor you would be crying bloody murder, but since it's an amd it's 'toms fault' that it started smoking. Ok sure there! :)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Dont presume to tell me what I would think troll.

I am saying that tom says the mobo was capable of using the palomino's thermal diode, and several other sources claim otherwise, only tom is claiming it could.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Intel_inside, some friendly words of advice for you.

When you are going to post a response to post, or an opinion, do try to be civilised about the matter, educated in the matter at hand, and do not suggest what others on the board may or may not say. Make sure you know what you are talking about before you post, and if you are not sure, but want to express an idea, do so politely: For example,

"As I understand it, isn't RDRam the better ram solution for the future, and wouldn't this be a problem for AMD in the future? And how exactly are the rates of transfer calculated for RAM, as I get confused with GHz and MBytes/Second."

...sounds better than:

"AMD is screwed, Intel is going to have RDRam at 6.4 Mbytes/Second and Atholns don't support it, this is 12 times faster than 266MHz DDR Ram, so Intel is still the best".

You see? Raystonn is probably the best example of a civilised poster: He leans towards Intel, which is fine, but he doesn't slag off AMD, he explaines his ideas logically, demonstrates that he has a firm grasp of the matter at hand, and doesn't use derogatory terms in his text.

As it applies to this post, Tom would have been using Intel motherboards that do use the internal diode of the Pentium, while the Athlons being tested did not have motherboards that used the diode to manage an overheating situation. This is why people believe that the Atholon melting tests may have been negatively biased when it comes to the issue of overheating. Suggesting that someone would have 'screamed bloody murder' is immature at best. If other people have an opinion, they will express it, hopefully in a civilised and respectable manner as well.

Cheers,

Ozzie

How long is a piece of string? The same shape as something beige.

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
he has never intended to be civilized
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">proof</A>

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes they did use a board that used the thermal diode, but it was a obscure Seimens D1289, not much info available on the site.

See <A HREF="http://www.64bits.org/cpuheat/cpuheat1.htm" target="_new">http://www.64bits.org/cpuheat/cpuheat1.htm</A> for after analysis.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
That guy intel inside is just a loser here to start trouble, I say everyone should ignore him from now on, or spam his email to those of you who did that ;-)

::applauds::

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

Dont worry Matisaro is a troll too.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
What are you implying? I mean if Tom said that the board support the whole thermal protection lark, then the boards documentation probably suggested that it did and the mother board manufactuerer would have said that it did. He wouldn't just "say" that it did with out any substantial evidence. I inferred from your post that you're suggesting he did do his experiement properly. Maybe I am reading to deeply into something that isn't there. My point is that if the board manufacturer lied to Tom then it can't be his fault, but at the end of the day does it matter? I mean like you all said, we routinely rip off our heatsinks for kicks.

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Cheer up,

I think there is truth in what you said, there are such things as AMD trolls as well, it works both ways.

Charlie

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
You know, I had a whole heap of flame here, but its not worth it to give you what you want, so I wont respond to your attacks spud.

As for intel inside, his own website says he is here merely to cause trouble, so I will let that stand as it is.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Matisaro on 10/26/01 06:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
No, this is what im saying.

Tom did his review and claims the mobo had thermal monitoring hardware, and he also states the mobo manufacturer said so as well.

However, many other tech review sites claim the motherboard he used did NOT, and none (which I have read) have said, no wait it did toms ok. What I am saying is that the only one who is agreeing with tom is tom, and everyone else who is speaking out about it(in the hardware community again that which I have read) has been saying toms test was inaccurate and poorly setup due to that fact.

That is all, I personally have not gone back to see which mobo he used for his test although I am considering it now.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
he's a troll no doubt, he's a corparate troller and fud spreader. he works for Fujitsu but thinks he's an AMD employee. !OAMLFTOR

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"