October 29.

Back to you Tom...

More about : amd announces price cuts

October 26, 2001 4:00:38 AM

By how much?

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2001 4:03:41 AM

They didn't tell me, and I didn't feel like searching for it. They simply notified me and then told me to contact my distributor for details.

Back to you Tom...
Related resources
October 26, 2001 4:03:43 AM

The day after the Intel price cuts on the 28th. What a surprise.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2001 4:15:09 AM

Do you know of any details on either drop? Has either company publically published them where it's easy to find?

Back to you Tom...
October 26, 2001 4:42:03 AM

I have not seen the prices mentioned publicly yet. The new Intel prices coming up have been set for a few months now, but have not yet been disclosed.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
October 26, 2001 4:45:07 AM

Has it been publically disclosed the cuts were coming specifically on the 28th ray?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 26, 2001 6:24:09 AM

look good! hope AMD makes cuts on similar scales.

Hey, we have the P-III 1.1/100 GHz a lot cheaper than P-III 1/133 GHz. Well, the 1.1 is a tray version while the 1 GHz is boxpack. But the price difference of almost 50% is still staggering. How is it possible?

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
October 26, 2001 7:49:16 AM

Its all rumor and inuendo, there is no real way to tell who is cutting prices first. Not that it matters, prices are coming down and thats good for the chip buyer......not for the chip makers however lol.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 26, 2001 8:02:15 AM

Unless AMD planned for these price cuts more than 5 months ago, Intel scheduled the cuts first. The price cuts exist to help ramp the Pentium 4 platform and phase out the Pentium III. The roadmap has been to make the Pentium 4 more attractive to consumers more quickly in order to stimulate industry demand. Consumers get a good deal from this.

-Raystonn

October 26, 2001 8:05:06 AM

So you say rayy, no evidence on either side, debate is pointless.

I will just point this one out.

the p3 550 cost 900 on release last year(when it came out)
the p4@2ghz which has a die size 2 times as large, and uses the same .18 micron process costed 600 on release. Given the fact it costs more to make a p4 than it does to make a p3, how do you explain intels sudden move to release its processors at almost half what it charged before amd?

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 26, 2001 8:13:17 AM

What does anything you said have to do with anything I said? I just gave a few facts. If you do not want to believe them then fine. I am not going to force anything on you.

To reiterate what I said, a roadmap has been planned with prices set months in advance. The reason for the great deals are to accelerate the ramping of the Pentium 4 platform over the Pentium III. The reason for the accelerated ramp is to drive up industry demand. Demand for processors has been down across the board for quite a while now.

-Raystonn

October 26, 2001 8:52:07 AM

OK, then AMD is not reacting to intels price cuts and the same thing can be said about them. The reason I pointed this out is that you said and have said, that amd is always reacting to intels price cuts, which is not a fact and you have no evidence to support it. When amd cuts their prices you claim its because intel cuts their prices, but when I say intel cuts their prices you claim the price cuts were months in planning.

But like I said, no one has any evidence to prove their case, so this debate is pointless and I will let it drop.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2001 9:19:26 AM

You are such a silly little troll Matisaro. So silly and little.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol: 
October 26, 2001 11:53:07 AM

Spud, you are a well known troll, your comments are amusing no one.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 26, 2001 12:01:01 PM

I have to agree with Spud on this one. You are silly and little (don't know about troll though).
October 26, 2001 12:40:58 PM

::rolls eyes::

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 26, 2001 2:03:38 PM

Those price cuts are really great news, as always.

I just can’t seem to understand why would anyone care if it were Intel or Amd who did it first. It won’t influence anyone’s decision on what to buy.
October 26, 2001 2:03:48 PM

I can’t figure out why you’re so jumpy whenever Ray says that Amd follows Intel on price cuts. Even if it is so…so what?
What really matters is if Amd will continue to offer same or better performance for significantly less money, which invariably is the case in the last coupe of years.
October 26, 2001 2:32:17 PM

this is a stupid thread, i dont see the point who cut prices first as well as other people, its those intel trolls again trying to start a falme.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2001 2:38:56 PM

Exactly ! In fact, I even believe AMD once publically "admitted" (not thats its a crime or anything) that they set their pricing at least 25% below Intel's. So they react to intel's pricing, but that can only be good for us.

Besided, in every industry it are the volume leaders that set the prices. In the case of intel's near-monopoly, the correct economic term is umbrella pricing if I recall correctly (university has been a while)). Same thing happens in most sectors. For example if one bank increases or lowers its interest rate, you quickly see most others follow.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
October 26, 2001 4:15:12 PM

What genius ever put the P4 and SDRAM together? :lol: 

:lol:  <b>Rhode Island is neither a road, nor an island. Discuss!</b> :lol: 
October 26, 2001 5:01:37 PM

intel

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
October 26, 2001 5:22:46 PM

Exactly! Price cuts benefit us, the consumer, regardless of which product we buy.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
October 26, 2001 6:05:54 PM

I hope you are not referring to Raystonn, cause you are long enough in here to know he is a respected person.

If you want to let some steam off, there are a couple of well-known trolls in here who will even be happy to have it!
October 26, 2001 6:24:52 PM

I hope the MP 1.53's go down to $150 :smile: New dualies for me!! :wink:

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2001 10:25:59 PM

Hehe silly little troll soo silly and yet soo little at the same time. Makes me wonder how a silly little troll like you gets threw life. Oh ya i know by sitting in yer parents basement and posting all day long on you commador 64.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol: 
October 26, 2001 10:36:58 PM

i dont really care who, no reson to pick on AMD if they drop prices after intel did, after all that just shows you intel feels the weight of AMD and needs the price drop, good to see that AMD are dropping prices as well and are not afraid to do this even with their low cash reserve they got.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2001 11:28:22 PM

It's not a rumor that AMD is cutting prices on the 29th, they sent me a letter to that affect.

Back to you Tom...
October 27, 2001 12:19:18 AM

I cannot understand all of these people who either want AMD or Intel to go bankrupt. Without competition, prices would still be sky-high like when Intel dominated the market a couple of years ago. Competition is good for everyone. It gives the consumer lower prices and better processors.

:lol:  <b>Rhode Island is neither a road, nor an island. Discuss!</b> :lol: 
October 27, 2001 12:32:29 AM

relatively speaking, 900 million cash on hand isn't all that bad. What made you suggest AMD is short on cash? If AMD had NO sales for an entire quarter, and maintained the same expense level, they would have more than enough money to pay the bills and keep everyone paid. That's not too bad in my eyes.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2001 12:40:06 AM

The only company I'd like to see go bankrupt is VIA. SiS and ALi could easily take up the slack.

Back to you Tom...
October 27, 2001 3:27:20 AM

Interesting....I actually think Intel considers VIA more of a threat than it does AMD.

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!
October 27, 2001 3:39:11 AM

I asked about the intel price drops, not the amd ones.

All price drops are good for customers, but not neccicarily good for the chip companies themselves.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2001 4:01:47 AM

I don't think they think of VIA as a THREAT, but instead a THIEF. So what if they steal your technology, they use it so poorly it won't cost you much in sales, right? I think Intel is just pissed at VIA, not scared. And they have a right to be. As do millions of VIA users!

Back to you Tom...
October 27, 2001 4:11:02 AM

Hmm...threat and scared are not synanomous. Intel lost the crown of being the number one chipset manufactorer to VIA a while back. VIA is obviously not afraid of any lawsuits brought forth by Intel either. Now, I am by no means argueing in favor of VIA, so please don't take it that way, I am no huge fan of theirs myself.

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!
October 27, 2001 11:57:51 AM

that cash is not static, intel and AMD are losing right now from the bad market time.
if AMD didnt have cash in reserve they would have to go bankrupt, or they would have to sell more stocks or bonds, or find a buyer.
this is a situation every company is facing, and 900 mil(if it is 900 as i didnt check)is not that much for a company as big as AMD.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
October 27, 2001 12:11:24 PM

Well, 900 mil isn't all that bad, since AMD only had a tad more than a billion beginning of the year. Intel otoh, had around 13 billion and is burning their cash reserve faster than AMD, or was a little while ago.

AMD is managing their cash quite well all things considered.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
October 27, 2001 2:50:14 PM

Love at the expected rate of loss (which is around 150 million a quarter) amd will have enough cash to last 1.5 years, that is a long time in this industry. Intel lost 95% of its profits this quarter, if they decline much further they will begin to burn money alot faster than amd, due to their large size. But I agree, this is a terrible time for every semiconductor company. Except apple, they have enough mac zealots to keep them afloat with the 4grand they charge for their g4 thingy heh.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 27, 2001 3:55:10 PM

if their cash does run out they will find some 1 to invet in them, no chence that either intel or AMD or even apple would just "die"..

with the XP bs ppl will buy new hardware now so Q3 and Q4 should be profitable.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
October 27, 2001 3:58:13 PM

I dont know Northwood 2.2ghz + SiS645 + PC2700 Cl2 DDR-Sdram looks my next system still.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
October 27, 2001 5:06:24 PM

yes, let's just hope Northwood lives up to the hype at a decent price.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
October 27, 2001 5:18:53 PM

when i said XP i ment the OS actually,
if northwood proves to be really worth its money, incase it wont be overpriced, i will consider buying it, we will just have to wait and see wont we..

even so i still think that ill hold my cash and buy the hammer once its out, not that i need new hardware now.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>
!