Dell Optical Wheel Mouse Jumps

mark

This is the first optical mouse (not cordless) I've had and notice that the
pointer will
frequently jump to a totally different area of the screen as the mouse is
being moved. I've cleaned the mouse pad (using the one that came from
Dell), tied another pad, and have tried many times to duplicate problem by
slowly moving mouse over same area of pad thinking there was some
imperfection that the mouse
was reacting to without any luck. Seems to be totally random and
independent of application. Becoming annoying. Any idea of cause?

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

Ive had the same problem with my mouse although its not optical. I found
that if you simply unplug the usb connection and then reconnect it cures the
problem at least for a day or two

"roy" <royjj(remove pants)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ive had the same problem with my mouse although its not optical. I found
> that if you simply unplug the usb connection and then reconnect it cures
> the problem at least for a day or two
> "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> This is the first optical mouse (not cordless) I've had and notice that
>> the pointer will
>> frequently jump to a totally different area of the screen as the mouse is
>> being moved. I've cleaned the mouse pad (using the one that came from
>> Dell), tied another pad, and have tried many times to duplicate problem
>> by slowly moving mouse over same area of pad thinking there was some
>> imperfection that the mouse
>> was reacting to without any luck. Seems to be totally random and
>> independent of application. Becoming annoying. Any idea of cause?

I've got (3) MS wired opticals here, and only the least expensive one does
this. Mine is connected PS/2 via an adapter that came with the mouse. There
are no USB devices connected to the system it is paired with.

In my case, I had come to the conclusion that this particular mouse is just
plain cheap.

The other two have never shown this symptom.

Stew

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 05:47:59 -0500, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"roy" <royjj(remove pants)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Ive had the same problem with my mouse although its not optical. I found
>> that if you simply unplug the usb connection and then reconnect it cures
>> the problem at least for a day or two
>> "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> This is the first optical mouse (not cordless) I've had and notice that
>>> the pointer will
>>> frequently jump to a totally different area of the screen as the mouse is
>>> being moved. I've cleaned the mouse pad (using the one that came from
>>> Dell), tied another pad, and have tried many times to duplicate problem
>>> by slowly moving mouse over same area of pad thinking there was some
>>> imperfection that the mouse
>>> was reacting to without any luck. Seems to be totally random and
>>> independent of application. Becoming annoying. Any idea of cause?
>>>

>I've got (3) MS wired opticals here, and only the least expensive one does
>this. Mine is connected PS/2 via an adapter that came with the mouse. There
>are no USB devices connected to the system it is paired with.
>
>In my case, I had come to the conclusion that this particular mouse is just
>plain cheap.
>
>The other two have never shown this symptom.
>
>Stew

Another suggestion....I had the same problem with my USB optical mouse
and the original Dell mousepad, the one with silver lettering on a
black background. Apparently the reflective qualities of the silver
lettering screwed up the mouse. With any other pad, or none at all,
the mouse works fine.

Dave