Noise from my CPU Fan

G

I just bought a Dell 8200 Dimension computer, Pentium 4, and 1.7 GBZ. It is VERY LOUD - a constant, loud hum.

Dell has already replaced the CPU Fan once, and the Power Unit and Hard Drive. Technicians believe it is the CPU Fan. They are sending me a new unit but I still think it will be noisy. This was an issue with other Dell models and eventually, they improved the fan.

IS THERE A QUIET FAN THAT WILL BE SUFFICIENT FOR MY LEVEL OF POWER, THAT I COULD INSTALL MYSELF ON MY DELL COMPUTER???
I DON'T KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY COMPATIBILITY ISSUES???

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Dude youre getting a dell. ;-)

take off the heatsink, the p4 will continue to run, check toms video if you dont believe me. :)

Seriously though, im sure rayy can suggest good p4 coolers which are silent.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Papst makes some of the quietest fans in existence. I'd rank Sunon as being second in that category. It may be easiest to simply detach the current CPU fan without taking off the heatsink, and just screw/latch the new one in place.

If this is an Intel retail HSF, though, it's probably near impossible to replace the fan without replacing the entire HSF.

This may be asking a bit much, but can you give us a pic of the unit?

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
lol, actual ppl were in your hous and they are still not sure where the nois coming from?
must be that loud nabour then!

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
pretty interesting even the Dell guys couldnt fix the noisy fan! if you could, open the case and check for yourself what exactly is creating the noise.

hard disks do make some noise, but since they already have replaced the disk, it is little possibility of it being teh culprit. power the system up and try pulling out the fan power connector. if the noise stays, its the PSU fan, if it doesnt its the CPU fan, as simple as that!

well, not as simple, you might not want to open the case, or maybe Dell has put warranty stickers around the chassis.

the kind mem from THG will tell you which fan would be quieter and cheaper.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
pretty interesting even the Dell guys couldnt fix the noisy fan! if you could, open the case and check for yourself what exactly is creating the noise.

hard disks do make some noise, but since they already have replaced the disk, it is little possibility of it being teh culprit. power the system up and try pulling out the fan power connector. if the noise stays, its the PSU fan, if it doesnt its the CPU fan, as simple as that!

well, not as simple, you might not want to open the case, or maybe Dell has put warranty stickers around the chassis.

the kind men from THG will tell you which fan would be quieter and cheaper.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>