Restore a disk image from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit on a different ma

ITRookie

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to restore a backup disk image taken from a laptop running Windows 7 32-bit to a different laptop running Windows 7 64-bit and I haven't been able to find anything about this. Does anyone know if this is possible?

The machine that I need to backup is a Dell XPS M1330 (upgraded to W7 32-bit), and the machine that I would be restoring the image to is a Dell Latitude E5430 (brand new, running W7 64-bit).

I found a program called EaseUS Todo Backup, and purchasing the "Workstation" or higher version would include support for a "Restore to dissimilar hardware" feature. I found that here: http://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/universal-restore.htm.

Has anyone used EaseUS Todo Backup before, or does anyone know of any resources I can reference?

Thanks much!!

Solution

Sorry - you are asking too much... Windows settings and your files/data can be done.. but if you expecting all your installed programs and all their settings... thats a step too far. By installing the apps on new.. I would have a good chance of success in getting settings etc copied over for many apps.. but it would be a real PITA and really (for me) not at all worth the hastle. I did it for a couple of...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Restoring a 32-bit image taken from one computer to another will make the second computer a 32-bit computer. I assume that is NOT your intent.

Are you just trying to copy select files/documents from the old image to the Latitude?

Sounds like you just want to transfer your documents and settings etc...

Have you tried the "Windows easy Transfer" feature? Its designed to move "your" stuff from an old computer to a new one.
You can find it on your "old" comp...
Start -> control panel -> System and Security --> Backup and restore --> (bottom left of screen)

HTH
Cheers

ITRookie

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
@COLGeek: No, I am not trying to make the new computer 32-bit. I would like to be able to copy my files, settings, programs, etc to the new computer.

@yoji: I would like to be able to copy my files, settings, programs, etc to the new computer. On my current computer, I have a bunch of programs with settings that I would like to be able to keep. However, I don't see how this could be possible since the software is developed differently for 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems...

Sorry - you are asking too much... Windows settings and your files/data can be done.. but if you expecting all your installed programs and all their settings... thats a step too far. By installing the apps on new.. I would have a good chance of success in getting settings etc copied over for many apps.. but it would be a real PITA and really (for me) not at all worth the hastle. I did it for a couple of my wifes key apps when I moved her machine to 64 bit.. but in general.. the answer to your question is "no... not everything".

In general - as you seem to recognise .. you need to "install" the app on the new 64 bit machine.... once you done that.. you can think about copying over old settings etc.. which can be easy for some (e.g. iTunes I think...).. but some games, Starcraft 2 or WoW can just "drag and drop their folder to the new PC" and will work.

But your simplistic request to just magically copy all your programs/data/settings for everyting is a bit much to ask.

Cheers

Solution