Tungsten-E and "Photo"

March 26, 2005 4:43:54 AM

Hi all,

a newbie question:
I just got myself a new Tungsten-E PDA, no expansion card yet.

1. How can I transfer JPG's from the Palm Desktop Photo application
directly to the 32 MB RAM memory of the PDA (so not on the
expansion card)? According to the PDF help file you can transfer it
either to the PDA memory or to the expansion card
2. Where can I find the "Photo" item/icon in the PDA menu? I can't see
a "Photo" entry/icon at all when I tap on the menu button?

TIA

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

More about : tungsten photo

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:43:55 AM

"Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> a newbie question:
> I just got myself a new Tungsten-E PDA, no expansion card yet.
> 1. How can I transfer JPG's from the Palm Desktop Photo application
> directly to the 32 MB RAM memory of the PDA (so not on the
> expansion card)? According to the PDF help file you can transfer it
> either to the PDA memory or to the expansion card

I don't know how you'd pick between the unit memory and an expansion card,
but...

> 2. Where can I find the "Photo" item/icon in the PDA menu? I can't see
> a "Photo" entry/icon at all when I tap on the menu button?

....as I'm recalling, I just installed the photo application from the CD on my
wife's E and on the next hotsync it and all the pictures I'd put into her
desktop got copied into the handheld. She has no expansion card either.

- Bill
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:55:14 PM

Bill Leary wrote:
> "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> a newbie question:
>> I just got myself a new Tungsten-E PDA, no expansion card yet.
>> 1. How can I transfer JPG's from the Palm Desktop Photo application
>> directly to the 32 MB RAM memory of the PDA (so not on the
>> expansion card)? According to the PDF help file you can transfer
>> it either to the PDA memory or to the expansion card
>
> I don't know how you'd pick between the unit memory and an expansion
> card, but...
>
>> 2. Where can I find the "Photo" item/icon in the PDA menu? I can't
>> see a "Photo" entry/icon at all when I tap on the menu button?
>
> ...as I'm recalling, I just installed the photo application from the
> CD on my wife's E and on the next hotsync it and all the pictures I'd
> put into her desktop got copied into the handheld. She has no
> expansion card either.
>
> - Bill

Hi Bill,
> I don't know how you'd pick between the unit memory and an expansion
> card, but...
In the palmOne Quick Install application you have two panes: Handheld and
Expension Card.
When I add files to the first pane (Handheld) I assume that upon next Synch
the files are to be transferred to the RAM and when adding files to the
second pane (expansion card) they are to be added omn the expension card?

> ...as I'm recalling, I just installed the photo application from the
> CD on my wife's E and on the next hotsync it and all the pictures I'd
> put into her desktop got copied into the handheld. She has no
> expansion card either.
The CD I got is for the Zire 31 PDA (according to Tech Support entirely
compatible with the Tungsten-E), maybe that is the reason why the Photo
application is not in the group of PRC's to be installed?

Thanks again...

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
March 26, 2005 7:55:15 PM

> Bill Leary wrote:
> > "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> >> a newbie question:
> >> ((..portions omitted..))
>
> Hi Bill,
> > I don't know how you'd pick between the unit memory and an expansion
> > card, but...
> In the palmOne Quick Install application you have two panes: Handheld and
> Expension Card.
> When I add files to the first pane (Handheld) I assume that upon next Synch
> the files are to be transferred to the RAM and when adding files to the
> second pane (expansion card) they are to be added omn the expension card?

I've seen that for installing applications... I never considered it for
pictures. I always drag-and-drop pictures from my photography directory into
the Palm Desktop "Photos" area for my wife's machine, or for anything I want on
my Zire 71 that I didn't take with the Zire itself, then just let the next
HotSync take care of it.

> > ...as I'm recalling, I just installed the photo application from the
> > CD on my wife's E and on the next hotsync it and all the pictures I'd
> > put into her desktop got copied into the handheld. She has no
> > expansion card either.
> The CD I got is for the Zire 31 PDA (according to Tech Support entirely
> compatible with the Tungsten-E), maybe that is the reason why the Photo
> application is not in the group of PRC's to be installed?

I don't know anything about the Zire 31 or it's applications. I'd temporarily
installed the one that came with the Tungesten E when my wife got it, but it
didn't seem to cooperate with my Zire 71. I downloaded Desktop 4.1.4 from Palm
and have been using that exclusively for all my Palms (Palm Pilot 1000, Palm
Pilot Professional, Zire (the original back-lightless one), Zire 71 and Tungsten
E) for a while now. I recall hunting around for the Tungsten-E CD to install
some software on the Tungsten, and I *think* it was the photo application, but
I'm not POSITIVE. That was back around Christmas of 2003 now. I *do* see that
the photo app is in the backup directory for the Tungsten-E, and when the E had
a full battery failure a few months back, everything got restored on the HotSync
after I fixed the problem, so I'm guessing it has to be installed separately.

- Bill
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:26:00 PM

Bill Leary wrote:
> "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> Bill Leary wrote:
>>> "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>> I don't know how you'd pick between the unit memory and an expansion
>>> card, but...
>> In the palmOne Quick Install application you have two panes:
>> Handheld and Expension Card.
>> When I add files to the first pane (Handheld) I assume that upon
>> next Synch the files are to be transferred to the RAM and when
>> adding files to the second pane (expansion card) they are to be
>> added omn the expension card?
>
> I've seen that for installing applications... I never considered it
> for pictures. I always drag-and-drop pictures from my photography
> directory into the Palm Desktop "Photos" area for my wife's machine,
> or for anything I want on my Zire 71 that I didn't take with the Zire
> itself, then just let the next HotSync take care of it.
>
>>> ...as I'm recalling, I just installed the photo application from the
>>> CD on my wife's E and on the next hotsync it and all the pictures
>>> I'd put into her desktop got copied into the handheld. She has no
>>> expansion card either.
>> The CD I got is for the Zire 31 PDA (according to Tech Support
>> entirely compatible with the Tungsten-E), maybe that is the reason
>> why the Photo application is not in the group of PRC's to be
>> installed?
>
> I don't know anything about the Zire 31 or it's applications. I'd
> temporarily installed the one that came with the Tungesten E when my
> wife got it, but it didn't seem to cooperate with my Zire 71. I
> downloaded Desktop 4.1.4 from Palm and have been using that
> exclusively for all my Palms (Palm Pilot 1000, Palm Pilot
> Professional, Zire (the original back-lightless one), Zire 71 and
> Tungsten E) for a while now. I recall hunting around for the
> Tungsten-E CD to install some software on the Tungsten, and I *think*
> it was the photo application, but I'm not POSITIVE. That was back
> around Christmas of 2003 now. I *do* see that the photo app is in
> the backup directory for the Tungsten-E, and when the E had a full
> battery failure a few months back, everything got restored on the
> HotSync after I fixed the problem, so I'm guessing it has to be
> installed separately.
>
> - Bill

Is the Photo application freeware or share(pay)ware?
If freeware, is there a download location somewhere on the internet?

Thank you...

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:26:01 PM

> > I don't know anything about the Zire 31 or it's applications. I'd
> > temporarily installed the one that came with the Tungesten E when my
> > wife got it, but it didn't seem to cooperate with my Zire 71. I
> > downloaded Desktop 4.1.4 from Palm and have been using that
> > exclusively for all my Palms (Palm Pilot 1000, Palm Pilot
> > Professional, Zire (the original back-lightless one), Zire 71 and
> > Tungsten E) for a while now. I recall hunting around for the
> > Tungsten-E CD to install some software on the Tungsten, and I *think*
> > it was the photo application, but I'm not POSITIVE. That was back
> > around Christmas of 2003 now. I *do* see that the photo app is in
> > the backup directory for the Tungsten-E, and when the E had a full
> > battery failure a few months back, everything got restored on the
> > HotSync after I fixed the problem, so I'm guessing it has to be
> > installed separately.
> >
> > - Bill
>
> Is the Photo application freeware or share(pay)ware?
> If freeware, is there a download location somewhere on the internet?

It came with the Zire and the Tungsten on their CD's.

I don't remember now how I got them to install, but every time I've had to
re-load the Zire or the Tungsten after a hard reset, they always get reloaded.

- Bill
!