Sign in with
Your question
Closed

64-Bit Ult. not loading past 'starting Windows'

Last response: in Windows 7
February 6, 2013 6:54:16 PM

First, I'll get the Specs out of the way.
CPU-Intel core 2 Duo Extreme OC @3.4 GHz
RAM-8Gb 1333 DDR3
GPU-EVGA 560Ti
HDD-2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU-Raidmax 530w ss
MON- Acer 17" & Asus 23.6"
OS- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

As the title states, Windows black screens after the Loading Windows screen. I can still move my mouse and the HDD activity light on my case is blinking away. Everything boots fine in safe mode except for the fact that Windows makes my smaller monitor the main display but no signal is outputting to my larger monitor, yet my cursor can still get lost in the space where the monitor is. I've already run Memtest and no errors, even flashed the BIOS with the same firmware to check for errors, updated all the Nvidia drivers, defragged (took forever), ran MalwareBytes, made sure I had enough HDD space for temp files, and used a restore point all to no avail. I know it's not an overheating issue because GPU-Z and CoreTemp both read fine temperatures. My GPU is OC'd to 900 MHz, but it's been OC'd for a while, so I know that's not the issue. DiskTest ways all of the HDD's are fine. I've thrown everything in my arsenal at it short of getting my actual repair kit out and opening up my case. If anyone could help, that would be awesome. And also, (I know, don't start a sentence with a conjunction) if anyone knows how to switch my primary monitor during the boot process, that would also be amazing.
February 6, 2013 7:28:42 PM

In safe mode try running the system scan from command prompt.

sfc /scannow

It should take ~30 mins to complete the scan and tell you if there's any inconsistencies/damaged files and then try to repair them.

If that doesn't work, do you have access to a Windows 7 install disc? Boot into it and select the repair function.

Let us know how you get on.
Score
February 6, 2013 7:43:57 PM

No damaged files
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 7:49:04 PM

Hi :) 

Is it a LEGAL version of Ultimate as the illegal one came with a rather neat set of viruses ?

All the best Brett :) 
Score
February 6, 2013 7:50:03 PM

Haha, no, it's all legally purchased.
Score
February 6, 2013 7:57:36 PM

Do you have access to an install disc to try the second method I posted above?
Score
February 6, 2013 8:00:43 PM

I don't, downloaded direct from Microsoft's site.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 8:13:37 PM

test your hardware

diagnosis 101 ALWAYS TEST THE HARDWARE
Score
February 6, 2013 8:19:36 PM

As stated above, I ran Memtest, no errors, ran DiskTest on both HDDs, and checked the GPU.
Score
February 6, 2013 8:21:34 PM

Download an ISO here, be sure to select the correct one for your setup.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-is...

Note this is not piracy by any means as you own a copy of Windows 7 already.

If you end up having to completely reinstall it to fix the issue it will require you to enter your key before proceeding, so I hope you have it noted down.

It should still allow you to use the repair function without it.

Burn it to a disc using ImgBurn here: http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Or make a bootable usb stick using this: http://www.isotousb.com

Note that if you're using a different PC to make the usb stick, the antivirus might give an alert on the isotousb site - ignore it, it's a false positive. I use it all the time.
Score
February 6, 2013 8:38:08 PM

Okay, downloaded it in about 5 minutes, burnt it using DAEMON Tools, ran the repair, let it do it's thing, no problems found.
Score
February 6, 2013 8:43:15 PM

I'm honestly out of suggestions at this point, sorry. I can get a hold of a more knowledgeable individual for you but it could take a little while for them to reply.
Score
February 6, 2013 8:47:05 PM

Thank you for your help, I'll just run Ubuntu for a while until I fix the issue.
Score
February 6, 2013 8:52:12 PM

I sent a few messages out, hopefully someone will help you shortly.
Score
February 6, 2013 8:58:02 PM

Okay, thank you for all of your time.
Score
February 6, 2013 9:04:12 PM

No problem, I'd help more if I could.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 9:14:36 PM

The last time I saw this it was a corrupted driver issue, try deleting all the Nvidia files from the System32 folder then reboot and reinstall the latest driver. There will be some files that can't be deleted because they are in use so just ignore them and reboot.
February 6, 2013 9:15:52 PM

Thanks for chiming in Monkey, I wouldn't have even thought of that.
Score
February 6, 2013 9:23:10 PM

You can switch the primary monitor prior to boot by unplugging the other monitors. I think the posters above having provided more sophisticated advice but figured I'd address your last question.
Score
February 6, 2013 9:28:37 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The last time I saw this it was a corrupted driver issue, try deleting all the Nvidia files from the System32 folder then reboot and reinstall the latest driver. There will be some files that can't be deleted because they are in use so just ignore them and reboot.

I'm just going to assume all the files that are nv***** are Nvidia placed files.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 9:42:31 PM

kyomintcraft said:
I'm just going to assume all the files that are nv***** are Nvidia placed files.

Check by clicking on "Properties" or hovering the cursor over them.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 9:44:34 PM

And delete the Nvidia installation folder on the c: drive prior to rebooting.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 9:56:06 PM

Hello... switch your graphic card output cables? boot with 1 screen/monitor connected on? first on new install setup.
Score
February 6, 2013 10:01:57 PM

I deleted the entire folder and all of the dlls, reinstalled the newest drivers from geforce.com with a clean wipe install. Same problem.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 10:16:00 PM

I assume you've tried the last known working driver as well?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 11:36:35 PM

Did you disable Windows restore before deleting files and rebooting?
Score
February 7, 2013 12:56:11 PM

No, but i'll try again and disable restore point creation.
Score
February 7, 2013 6:17:09 PM

Well, I reinstalled the drivers once more, and poof! it works. Thanks to everyone who helped.
Score
February 7, 2013 6:17:22 PM

Best answer selected by kyomintcraft.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 7, 2013 6:50:17 PM

Thanks for the BA.
Score
!