64-Bit Ult. not loading past 'starting Windows'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyomintcraft

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
First, I'll get the Specs out of the way.
CPU-Intel core 2 Duo Extreme OC @3.4 GHz
RAM-8Gb 1333 DDR3
GPU-EVGA 560Ti
HDD-2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU-Raidmax 530w ss
MON- Acer 17" & Asus 23.6"
OS- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

As the title states, Windows black screens after the Loading Windows screen. I can still move my mouse and the HDD activity light on my case is blinking away. Everything boots fine in safe mode except for the fact that Windows makes my smaller monitor the main display but no signal is outputting to my larger monitor, yet my cursor can still get lost in the space where the monitor is. I've already run Memtest and no errors, even flashed the BIOS with the same firmware to check for errors, updated all the Nvidia drivers, defragged (took forever), ran MalwareBytes, made sure I had enough HDD space for temp files, and used a restore point all to no avail. I know it's not an overheating issue because GPU-Z and CoreTemp both read fine temperatures. My GPU is OC'd to 900 MHz, but it's been OC'd for a while, so I know that's not the issue. DiskTest ways all of the HDD's are fine. I've thrown everything in my arsenal at it short of getting my actual repair kit out and opening up my case. If anyone could help, that would be awesome. And also, (I know, don't start a sentence with a conjunction) if anyone knows how to switch my primary monitor during the boot process, that would also be amazing.

Solution
The last time I saw this it was a corrupted driver issue, try deleting all the Nvidia files from the System32 folder then reboot and reinstall the latest driver. There will be some files that can't be deleted because they are in use so just ignore them and reboot.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
In safe mode try running the system scan from command prompt.

sfc /scannow

It should take ~30 mins to complete the scan and tell you if there's any inconsistencies/damaged files and then try to repair them.

If that doesn't work, do you have access to a Windows 7 install disc? Boot into it and select the repair function.

Let us know how you get on.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Download an ISO here, be sure to select the correct one for your setup.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Note this is not piracy by any means as you own a copy of Windows 7 already.

If you end up having to completely reinstall it to fix the issue it will require you to enter your key before proceeding, so I hope you have it noted down.

It should still allow you to use the repair function without it.

Burn it to a disc using ImgBurn here: http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Or make a bootable usb stick using this: http://www.isotousb.com

Note that if you're using a different PC to make the usb stick, the antivirus might give an alert on the isotousb site - ignore it, it's a false positive. I use it all the time.

The last time I saw this it was a corrupted driver issue, try deleting all the Nvidia files from the System32 folder then reboot and reinstall the latest driver. There will be some files that can't be deleted because they are in use so just ignore them and reboot.

Solution

kyomintcraft

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

I'm just going to assume all the files that are nv***** are Nvidia placed files.

Status
Not open for further replies.