AMD overheat problem

G

Some reason my AMD chip is running real hot. I have a 1.4 ghz T-Bird with a Thermaltake Volcano 6cu heatsink and it's running around 52-54C w/ open case, and around 57C w/ closed case. I remember reading a post about some guys, with the same chip and heatsink oc'ing his cpu to around 1550mhz without any problem and his running around 52C. Anyone know why mine is running hot? I have a recommended heatsink for my AMD chip.

Computer Specs:
1.4ghz T-Bird
SOYO K7V Dragon mb
40gb IBM 7200rpm
256mb DDR
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu heatsink
Radeon VE
Soundblaster Live! Value
Cisco Systems 350 series PCI Wireless LAN Adapter
Pioneer 40x DVD
Lite-on 16x/10x/40x CD-RW
Windows ME

Any responses and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If you're sure you mounted the heatsink correctly, I would leave it alone and focus on other causes of your high temps. Your room temp is a big factor, as well as case fans, etc. I switched to arctic silver II, and it lowered my cpu temps about 2-3 degrees, which was dissapointing. I expected more, but will settle for any improvement. I would be careful removing the volcano heatsink. The clip is very small, and some screwdrivers tend to slip easily while applying pressure. My volcano 5 temps are as high as 53 celcius, but I don't overclock much. Your hardware monitor could be off by as much as 10 degrees, so you must take that into consideration. I use motherboard monitor 5, but it has to be set up properly. Try it and see if you notice any difference.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If it dosent lock up its fine, that heatsink is decent but i assure you the people at 1550 with 43c are using better, like swiftech or thermoengines or the like.

If you arent planning on overclocking and it is not locking up your temps are more than acceptable.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

HI,
I work for a computer company and we build pcs. We build 1.4GHz Athlons, with gigabyte boards and standard rated h/sinks. i always go on "feel" even though the average temp is 50-52c. I go on the heatsink feeling cool to warm on touch.

We had this one bloke in who had brought a soyo mobo for has 1.4 chip from some other computer company, he asked us to bulid it for him. We could not for the life of us work out why the temp was running so hot,it was really cooking, didnt matter how many fans we put in it. now i know why, its soyo mobos. Hmmm Weird.

In the end he sent it all back, got us to supply & bulid, now is running cool.

You may think this is all crap, but it happened , honest guv,

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Also you should put into thought how hot the room your computer is in. Even with my ALPHA heat sink w/ delta fan, my cpu went upto 43ºc on a hot day (85-95º f) idle, and usually my cpu is idle at 30ºc. Also, Pioneer 40x DVD? They make DVD drives at that speed?!

G

Well, I've got a case fan and I leave my case open now. My room isn't that hot, it'd be much cooler but the heat coming out of my system makes a nice heater =) If what xr4x4 is true, and it's the soyo motherboard generating all the heat, rather than my cpu... is there a way to fix that? I really don't want to go out and buy a new motherboard and stuff, I'm a college student... can't tap into my beer money =)

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
not sure about newer ones but when i first baught my volcano 6cu it had rather deep circuler grooves in the copper core of the heatsink,my temps were also quit high. after doing a little sanding to the bottom of it though the temps came down dramatically.

<A HREF="http://www.textfiles.com/100/actung.hum" target="_new">Relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
maybe its the mobo...
northbridge fan may increase general air circulation.. but proly not enough
can also check the bottom of your HS. see how flat it is.

i personally wouldnt touch a heat sink now that isnt mirror finish flat.

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

TRENDING THREADS