Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Home Premium for Refurbished PCs disk on a new computer?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
  • PCS
Last response: in Windows 7
February 6, 2013 7:49:14 PM

Back when I purchased my refurbished PC from TigerDirect, I received a Windows 7 Home Premium start-up disk for Refurbished PCs. However, when I received the computer, the OS was already installed so I did not have to use the start-up disk. Currently, I am building a gaming PC and I was wondering if it is possible to use this unused disk as my OS. I do have the Product/Activation Key from my old refurbished PC. So would it be a matter of installing the OS on my new computer and putting the activation key from my old PC onto my new one? I contacted TigerDirect and they said it is possible. I would just like further confirmation from someone who may have had the same question/problem as me.

More about : windows home premium refurbished pcs disk computer

February 6, 2013 8:03:15 PM

Yes, as long as you're sure that the disc has not been used.
m
l
February 6, 2013 8:18:15 PM

kyomintcraft said:
Yes, as long as you're sure that the disc has not been used.

Im 99.9% that it is unused. I contacted TigerDirect and asked them if it was normal to have a computer shipped with the OS already installed and they said yes it is common. However, im not sure if they installed at the factory before shipping to me, and if they did, why would they ship the OS for refurbished PC's to me if they installed it themselves? The Product ID on the label of my computer is completely different from the one that shwos up on my System Properties so im assuming it is unused.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 8:20:50 PM

You may use the DVD to install Windows on another computer but you can not use the key on the COA from the old machine. The OEM key is tied to the first computer it is used on and can not be transferred to another. You need to purchase a new key for the new machine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 8:21:22 PM

Disc being used or not has nothing to do with being able to install it on another machine. You can use it as many times you like on as many machines as you like as long as you have different product key for each of them.
m
l
February 6, 2013 8:21:50 PM

The disc was probably just a redundancy measure. Just in case it's not already preinstalled.
m
l
February 6, 2013 8:29:24 PM

Soda-88 said:
Disc being used or not has nothing to do with being able to install it on another machine. You can use it as many times you like on as many machines as you like as long as you have different product key for each of them.

The product ID key from the label is completely different from the one it shows in my system properties. Does that make a difference? And if not, how should I go about getting a new product key? and how much will it cost? The same as purchasing a new version of Windows 7? Sorry for all the questions.
m
l
!