Closed

Encryption with bitlocker question

i have 2 harddrives 1 for os and the other for storage. i encrypted my entire storage drive because its easier to do then ur os because you needsome kind of card key or usb for the boot drive, but anywho im curious if i unlock the drive so i can access the files does that means its then visable to hackers? or does it need to be locked at all times to remain hidden and encrypted. so my question is if someone hacked into my pc from another computer and i already unlocked my storage drive, would the hackers be able to see all the files on it? curious about the small details about it all thanks !
20 answers Last reply
More about encryption bitlocker question
  1. Once a drive is unlocked it functions exactly like an unencrypted drive.

So the answer is yes, if someone gained access to your system while the encrypted drive was unlocked they would have access to all the files on it.
  2. i see is there any way around that?
  3. All that drive encryption and bitlocker do is to make your computer very hard to access when it is stolen. If you're running it, and someone gains access at that point, then they have access to anything you have access to.
  4. yeah i was thinking that. so basically the best thing to do is to also focus on a strong firewall. how do people get past your firewall in teh first place even if its turned on? do they guess your ip address and have the serial of ur OS or something?
  5. the905 said:
    i see is there any way around that?

Yes, turn the computer off and never use it again.

There is no way "around" how it works.
  6. anyone know how safe the linux firewall is for that os? also i noticed that when you install linux it uses dfa or something like that as a filesystem, is NTFS just a windows thing?
  7. There are two very good options if looking at a Linux firewall solution:

1. IPCop
    2. Smoothwall

Yes, NTFS is a Windows filesystem. Most Linux systems use either Ext3 or Ext4 by default.
  8. what about the built in linux firewall?
  9. To what are you referring? There is no 'built-in' Linux firewall.
  10. hmm for some reason i thought there was. i have linux mint which has alot of software already installed on it so maybe mint has a built in firewall
  11. ex_bubblehead said:
    To what are you referring? There is no 'built-in' Linux firewall.

you are wrong linux does have a built in firewall. you are not smart and dont act like you know everything. god the 12 year olds on toms
  12. the905 said:
    you are wrong linux does have a built in firewall. you are not smart and dont act like you know everything. god the 12 year olds on toms

The crap distributions do install some firewall funtionality. However, a plain jane installation does not include any such thing (show me a clean kernel with firewall functionality built-in), it has to be added after the fact.

BTW: Son, I've been at this since long before you were born, so don't go there.
  13. ex_bubblehead said:
    The crap distributions do install some firewall funtionality. However, a plain jane installation does not include any such thing (show me a clean kernel with firewall functionality built-in), it has to be added after the fact.

BTW: Son, I've been at this since long before you were born, so don't go there.

yeah son dont get the wrong idea because im the one who will steer you in the right direction there hero. linux absolutley has a built in firewall. and what crap distributions are you talking about. anything other hen abuntu isnt considered crap at all there helpful installing java and flash player who wouldnt use those? you dont even know what your talking about. all linux distros come with a firewall its part of the kernal called iptables. looks liek it doesnt have to be added after the fact noob
  14. Ubuntu isn't Linux, neither is Fedora, Red Hat, Debian, Mandriva, etc. They are merely distributions.

Linux, or more correctly GNU/Linux, refers to only the kernel. The kernel does not have a built-in firewall. It does include some lowlevel support for iptables (which must be installed separately and therefore does not qualify as "built-in"). Iptables itself is not part of the kernel and therefore is not Linux.

How this devolved into a Linux discussion I don't know. You asked about BitLocker and got an answer. I'm done here.
  15. ex_bubblehead said:
    Ubuntu isn't Linux, neither is Fedora, Red Hat, Debian, Mandriva, etc. They are merely distributions.

Linux, or more correctly GNU/Linux, refers to only the kernel. The kernel does not have a built-in firewall. It does include some lowlevel support for iptables (which must be installed separately and therefore does not qualify as "built-in"). Iptables itself is not part of the kernel and therefore is not Linux.

How this devolved into a Linux discussion I don't know. You asked about BitLocker and got an answer. I'm done here.

lmao uh wrong they are all linux .... wow this is just sad how many people are misinformed and most importantley spreading false info on toms hardware. linux does have a firewall built in you dont need to download one. you simply have to tick the option and its turned on. theres no installation at all for the firewall. you clearly dont even use linux. next time dont try to chime into thread with your macho attitude about you apparently using linux before i was born. didnt exactly work your way did it.
  16. Misinformed? Actually I was using UNIX long before you were born. I have also contributed code to both UNIX and Linux. Have you?....... Thought not. I dare say that I've forgotten more about both in the last 24 hours than you'll ever know about either. However, please feel free to enlighten me as the exact location of this mythical, magical checkbox that you tick to turn on the firewall. I have 11 consoles open to 11 Linux machines and I await your instructions Oh Great One........
  17. ex_bubblehead said:
    Misinformed? Actually I was using UNIX long before you were born. I have also contributed code to both UNIX and Linux. Have you?....... Thought not. I dare say that I've forgotten more about both in the last 24 hours than you'll ever know about either. However, please feel free to enlighten me as the exact location of this mythical, magical checkbox that you tick to turn on the firewall. I have 11 consoles open to 11 Linux machines and I await your instructions Oh Great One........

seeing how you used unix theres no way you would know more about pcs then i do. ive been using all os's. using unix is basic as hell and theres abosolutley nothing special you could do with that os, so trying to brag about using unix really makes you look like an oaf. you really are a noob trying to brag about changing the code of linux. anyone can change the code of linux its open source. i doubt theres nothing you could teach me on my 30 years on this planet but im sure i could teach you a few things. i dont htink you should be using ANY kind of computer if you cant figure out how to turn the firewall on in linux. but go to control panel settings and its right there. cant be hard to miss it it says firewall.... LMAO this is sad. these old farts who think they know all about computers because they use to own an ibm back in the day. here you go you old fart i know you wont be able to belive your eyes ! dont lose your false teeth now
    http://www.google.ca/imgres?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1396&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbnid=eX9ms5z2qZUrrM:&imgrefurl=http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-felicia.html&docid=Ge8VbZyPrGE9bM&imgurl=http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers/2008/linux-mint-6-firewall.jpg&w=500&h=513&ei=SCYVUb_pKafXyAHh24G4Bg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:20,s:0,i:147&iact=rc&dur=547&sig=106868395715639562782&page=2&tbnh=193&tbnw=189&start=19&ndsp=23&tx=111&ty=75

computers have changed since the 70s my bitter twisted none tach savy friend.
  18. And with that, I believe the mods can close this one now.
  19. Linux is Linux.

It's an open source kernel and everyone has access to it, and the right to make their own. We all have our own favorite distribution. Personally mine is Ubuntu.

Now, seeing as all you're doing is arguing and cutting at each other about something that has nothing to do with the original post, I'm closing this thread.
  20. This topic has been closed by Apanzee
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Encryption Storage Windows 7