firewalls

RonJ

My new 8400 comes with Windows XP of course. Does it have a good
enough firewall for use on a dial-up modem or should I stick with the
Norton Firewall I use with WIN98?

It's not a question of what kind of modem you have. The essential difference
between Windows Firewall and just about any third-party product is that
Windows firewall is not designed to inform you when malware on your computer
is attempting to connect to the Internet. Third party firewalls also have
add-ons, like cache cleaners, to try to distinguish themselves from the
competition.

Use Norton Firewall if you like, but you'll need a version that is
compatible with Windows XP and you'll need to run Live Update to get
Symantec's updates for SP 2.

Just remember not to run two software firewalls at the same time. Choose
Windows Firewall or a third party product.
--
Ted Zieglar