Hard Reset does not erase Documents to Go

March 26, 2005 2:21:17 AM

Anyone know why a hard reset would not get rid of Docs to Go. I have tried
3 times to no avail.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:21:18 AM

Chris wrote:

> Anyone know why a hard reset would not get rid of Docs to Go. I have tried
> 3 times to no avail.

Yeah, we heard, Chris.

And, as John said, in comp.sys.palmtops, until you share more
info, such as what type of PDA, etc., you probably won't get
an answer.

Notan
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:06:53 AM

Hello, "Chris" !
You wrote:

> Anyone know why a hard reset would not get rid of Docs to Go.
I have tried
> 3 times to no avail.

You don't mention your Palm model but it's possible that it came
with Documents to Go installed in ROM (the memory which holds the
OS and all the factory installed applications). If that's the
case, then it won't be possible to delete it. I think that the
Tungsten C, T3, and T5 all have Docs to Go installed in ROM.
--
"It's a long story. And it ends with me on the roof of a
goddamned nuthouse on Route 128 doing a one-man tribute to the

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
March 26, 2005 8:25:36 AM

"Chris" <nnnn@nnnn.com> wrote:
>Anyone know why a hard reset would not get rid of Docs to Go.

Assuming it's there immediately after a hard reset and not getting
loaded from our backups, it's in ROM on certain PDAs. The ROM version
may be broken, however, so you'll either want to stop using it or
upgrade it to a functional version.
March 27, 2005 3:53:32 PM

My device is a T3. I guess it may have come with it. The thing that freaks
my out is that its 7.03 which is the version that I bought and installed
there just weeks ago. Any chance it overwrites the ROM when I upgraded it?

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Chris" <nnnn@nnnn.com> wrote:
> >Anyone know why a hard reset would not get rid of Docs to Go.
>
> Assuming it's there immediately after a hard reset and not getting
> loaded from our backups, it's in ROM on certain PDAs. The ROM version
> may be broken, however, so you'll either want to stop using it or
> upgrade it to a functional version.

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:22:57 PM

"Chris" <chris@none.com> wrote:
>My device is a T3. I guess it may have come with it. The thing that freaks
>my out is that its 7.03 which is the version that I bought and installed
>there just weeks ago. Any chance it overwrites the ROM when I upgraded it?

T3s come with DTG in ROM. My old and new ones both have V6.002 (643)
in ROM. Are you sure you are getting 7.03 after a hard reset (press
and hold power, hit reset) and before you do any synchronizing?

I'd be really surprised if an upgrade rewrote the ROM version, though
it's not impossible.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 9:22:02 PM

DXTG 7.03 does not overwrite the 6.0 in ROM on the T3. Use JackSprat 3.05b
to eliminate the earlier version in ROM. I just did it because I couldn't
get a clean install of 7.03

Merwyn-

"Chris" <chris@none.com> wrote in message
| My device is a T3. I guess it may have come with it. The thing that
freaks
| my out is that its 7.03 which is the version that I bought and installed
| there just weeks ago. Any chance it overwrites the ROM when I upgraded
it?

| <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
| > "Chris" <nnnn@nnnn.com> wrote:
| > >Anyone know why a hard reset would not get rid of Docs to Go.
| >
| > Assuming it's there immediately after a hard reset and not getting
| > loaded from our backups, it's in ROM on certain PDAs. The ROM version
| > may be broken, however, so you'll either want to stop using it or
| > upgrade it to a functional version.

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:40:30 AM

It just happened to me with my NX80 but AFTER the first synch and it
happened for DXTG and Zagats To Go and a few other programs. It gets
the reinstall info from the backups it makes.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:22:02 -0500, "Merwyn Bagan"
<mbagan@comcast.net> wrote:

>DXTG 7.03 does not overwrite the 6.0 in ROM on the T3. Use JackSprat 3.05b
>to eliminate the earlier version in ROM. I just did it because I couldn't
>get a clean install of 7.03
>
>Merwyn-
>
>"Chris" <chris@none.com> wrote in message
>| My device is a T3. I guess it may have come with it. The thing that
>freaks
>| my out is that its 7.03 which is the version that I bought and installed
>| there just weeks ago. Any chance it overwrites the ROM when I upgraded
>it?
>|
>| <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>| >
>| > Assuming it's there immediately after a hard reset and not getting
>| > loaded from our backups, it's in ROM on certain PDAs. The ROM version
>| > may be broken, however, so you'll either want to stop using it or
>| > upgrade it to a functional version.

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:01:46 PM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:40:30 -0500, xx1xx@excite.com wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:22:02 -0500, "Merwyn Bagan"
><mbagan@comcast.net> wrote:

>>"Chris" <chris@none.com> wrote in message

>>| <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message

.. . .

>>DXTG 7.03 does not overwrite the 6.0 in ROM on the T3. Use JackSprat 3.05b
>>to eliminate the earlier version in ROM. I just did it because I couldn't
>>get a clean install of 7.03

>>Merwyn-

I am curious why you people are upgrading Docs To Go. I am in
the process of upgrading from a Palm m500 to a TC. I upgraded
the TC to the latest ROM image (roughly July 2004) before
I began and yet the version of Docs To Go (ver. 5.003 build 567)
caused a lot of problems during the upgrade process. In that
regard it was very disappointing. I have never before had
substantial problems upgrading from Palm to Palm. I blame
Palm substantially for the fiasco. The TC installation program
should have warned me of that issue and given me an option
to read an errata file before continuing to install. (Likewise,
it does not show any information about upgrading the Desktop
until after you are done -- when it is too late, but that is
has nothing to do with Docs To Go.)

The next big disappointment is that Docs To Go will not save an
edited file as a Doc file by default.

In my case it is too late for them to fix the upgrade crashes,
but I would upgrade my Docs To Go if the later versions allowed
me to completely default to standard Doc file format. Other
than that, I doubt that I would find an upgrade useful. What are
the key new features in 7.03 that motivated you to upgrade?

--
The Moving Target: mobile information technology
http://www.pathcom.com/~jimomura/