Will this run starcraft 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Hi, I was wondering if these specs on the Dell Inspiron 14R will run starcraft 2 on lowest settings ?

VIDEO CARD Intel® HD Graphics
PROCESSOR Intel®Core™ i3-380M (2.53GHz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
MEMORY & HARD DRIVE 3GB DDR3 Shared Dual Channel Memory + 320GB 5400RPM HDD
DISPLAY 14.0" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit

It comes out to $450, which seems very reasonable to me.
However, if anyone else can suggest be a sub $500 laptop that can run Starcraft 2, I would really appreciate that.

Thanks!

Squander

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

http://www.intel.com/technology/graphics/intelhd.htm

It says so.

It seems like lower than 1080 resolution would be a huge disadvantage in sc2. 720 makes me feel like I can't see anything. How hard would it be to wait and save for a 1k$ laptop? I'm on the search for a new one for sc2 and I feel like that's going to be the sweetspot for value. Though if you buy this and it runs beautifully, update this thread with a review.

The ATI HD 4250 is just a tiny bit better than the Intel HD Graphics.
They're practically right next to each other on the big list of laptop graphics cards.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Because you'd give up the fast i3-380 CPU to get the slightly better HD 4250 your SC2 performance would essentially stay the same IMO.

How long would it take for you to save up an extra $50~$75?
lenovo IdeaPad Z560 $550
Core i3 380M and GeForce 310M GPU.
Nvidia GeForce 310M graphics review

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
hmm that $550 laptop does look a lot better...

I need a laptop for the summer, since i'm going away on a summer program. I already have a desktop that can run sc2 on ultra, but I don't want to lug it around everywhere =/

Thanks for the help, I'll keep on looking around. I may end up getting that lenovo laptop.

The big advantage you'll have with the HD 4250 over the Intel GMA isn't necessarily performance but compatibility. Some games run badly or not at all on Intel graphics (Sims comes to mind) but all games run on ATi hardware. WR2 is correct though, your budget is too low at the moment. :sol:

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
yeah ... I'm only a junior in HS atm. So I decided to just wait until the summer before I go to college (roughly 1 year)

Hopefully by then, the laptops for like $800 will be super boss and awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.