Sign in with
Your question

My computer screen's messed up

Last response: in Windows 7
February 6, 2013 10:06:13 PM

Hello,
I have no clue what happened recently, but my computer decided to add a second monitor, that i can not turn off. I've done soo much crap to try and revert it back but nothing seems to work, i have a gtx 8600 but i don't think it's the problem, i've uninstalled it completely and the problem still persisted.It's not one of the setting in "screen resolution", nor anywhere else i've looked.. I booted my pc in safe mode, and the problem wan not there anymore, so i'm thinking it's something i've clicked on while messing with my computer and forgot about it, but that's not all. Around the same time this happened, my windows aero decided it does not want to work, i have everything you need for it, i've used it for over a year, and once again all my setting are correct, almost positive. Is it simply something i've missed? What do? Please help!

More about : computer screen messed

February 6, 2013 10:08:34 PM

Another thing i feel i should mention, is the way i found out i have this imaginary screen is originally because my mouse started being sucked up by the left side of my screen so i ventured forth with the magnifier tool, basically my wallpaper and nothing else, it was cool for a while, i put my hidden browser over there, but now it's just annoying..
February 6, 2013 10:52:40 PM

If it believes you have a 2nd monitor when you right click desktop, click screen resolution the second monitor would show there as being connected. What type of connection do you use for your monitor? (vga, dvi, hdmi) Somewhere in the Nvidia software there may be an option to adjust overscan which may be causing the issue. Also try adjusting the monitor, some will have resizing options in their menu. (the buttons on the monitor)
Related resources
February 6, 2013 11:00:51 PM

There is nothing when i select screen resolution, everywhere i've looked it always says i'm only using 1 monitor, and i'm using dvi i think, also, it's not the monitor itself, the 2 "monitors" are different resolutions, i'll mess around with the monitor a bit but i doubt it will help. Can you think of anything else that may be causing the problem?
February 6, 2013 11:01:04 PM

Windows 7
February 6, 2013 11:01:37 PM

32bit if it helps...
February 7, 2013 6:21:42 PM

Anyone able to help?
February 7, 2013 9:51:48 PM

If the nvidia control panel does not have an overscan option, try checking the other display options in the nvidia control panel such as resolution or change desktop size and position.
February 8, 2013 3:09:19 AM

I did, i actually completely took out those drivers and took my graphics card out.. I have no clue what's going on with this..
February 10, 2013 2:28:37 AM

With the add on video card removed and uninstalled, and the monitor plugged into your onboard card do you still have the same issue? If not I would contact Nvidia they might be able to give you a more specific fix since that would narrow it down to their card.
February 10, 2013 6:28:37 AM

badam said:
With the add on video card removed and uninstalled, and the monitor plugged into your onboard card do you still have the same issue? If not I would contact Nvidia they might be able to give you a more specific fix since that would narrow it down to their card.

Yes i still hve the same issue, my computer science teacher said it's most likely a problem with windows itself, do you have anyclue what that may be?
February 11, 2013 9:36:01 PM

The best solution at this point would be to back up any data and do a clean install of windows, or try a repair disk.
February 12, 2013 4:50:01 AM

Don't reinstall windows yet. You always get problems from that.
Does the second display read as [2.Display Device on VGA] or similar?
February 12, 2013 6:51:25 AM

Right, I think i have a solution:D 
Go to screen resolution, then select the box labeled multiple displays, click [show desktop only on 1] click apply, then select the second display, go back to the box labeled multiple displays, there should now be an option called [remove this display], select this click OK and you're done!
February 12, 2013 10:57:56 AM

kiksteyn said:
Right, I think i have a solution:D 
Go to screen resolution, then select the box labeled multiple displays, click [show desktop only on 1] click apply, then select the second display, go back to the box labeled multiple displays, there should now be an option called [remove this display], select this click OK and you're done!

That's where it's wierd, i do not have that option, my computer's making it up.. I've restarted, deleted, installed etc.. There's nothing that has fixed it.. Like i said before, there is no options on my computer, unless it's a hidden program that i cannot find, that has the ability to "disable 2nd monitor" it only says i have 1, nothing else.. And with my windows aero, desktop manager will not activate, something's stopping it..
February 12, 2013 12:11:45 PM

That is weird. It sounds like your graphics adapter/card has created that 2nd "Screen"
Are you using a desktop or a laptop? What are your graphics device's properties?

Something else that might work. Click detect in the resolution window. It should give you an extra option in the [Display:] box (your graphics device). If you select that option then the multiple displays box should appear.
If you click on the new field you'll see the option [Try to connect anyway on:VGA] yours probably won't be VGA since you said you're using DVI but that will create a virtual screen, which you can then disable using the steps in my previous post, but I don't know whether that will just create a third screen or allow your graphics card to detect the one that's already there.
February 12, 2013 1:28:01 PM

I think i may have tried that, i'll give it another go, like i said before tho i uninstalled everything that went with my graphics card, and connected my thing to the default video thing. It was still there if it doesn't happen in safe mode does that mean it could have something to do with a "service" that's running in the background?
February 12, 2013 1:28:44 PM

Desktop btw..
February 13, 2013 9:45:18 AM

if it is a background service then you'll have to go through each one to find the right one and then remove it from the boot list. It sounds more like a setting than a process to me though.
If you do manage to find the background service, then you can remove it by using: Run->msconfig->startup.

February 13, 2013 9:53:14 AM

I have managed to recreate your problem on my computer in every way except for one. I can't see why the computer won't show you that there is another screen in the resolutions window.
you said a while ago that the monitors each have a different resolution, I get that too, but I don't see how you could find that out if you can't see the other screen in the control panel. could you explain?
February 13, 2013 10:53:55 AM

If i were to print screen and copy it into paint, it looks like its 2/3 of my main displays size, also when i move my mouse at the lower side of my screen it does not disappear, when i move it at the top, it goes off to the other monitor. I think it's set to 800xsomething.. whereas my main monitor is higher than that..
February 13, 2013 11:56:30 AM

Oh, I see.
What happens when you press detect in the Resolutions screen?
February 13, 2013 6:24:26 PM

a little grey box shows up that says nothing detected...
February 14, 2013 5:48:33 AM

Ok, so it's doing that right.
when the grey box appears another option should also appear in the [Display:] scroll down. Does that happen?
February 14, 2013 5:54:40 AM

Ok, so it's doing that right.
when the grey box appears another option should also appear in the [Display:] scroll down. Does that happen?
February 14, 2013 10:48:34 AM

it says the name of my graphics card..
February 22, 2013 7:32:00 AM

Great! so far so good. Now if you select the graphics card (that extra option) the box labeled Orientation should change to Multiple displays: it should say no displays detected. is that right.
By the way sorry about the lack of communication my network adapter has been giving me problems.
February 28, 2013 11:23:44 PM

Yeah, i actually ended up re-installibg windows 7, everything seems to be working fine now:)  thank you guys for our time, and help.
!