Sign in with
Your question

Idea for improving HSF performance.

Last response: in CPUs
October 29, 2001 1:37:28 AM

One cannot help but notice the wide variety of SocketA coolers out there.
some have wierd and fancy designs...
but the majority have the same design,
standard fan on top, square design with horizontal pins and a big grove down the middle where the clip mechanism sits.

and that got me thinkin... that clip not only takes up alot of room, it decreases the available total surface area AND lets out alot of air at either end.

so i was thinking... once the HSF is locked in place, why dont we put some masking tape over the gaps at either end... and force the air to instead exit at right angles over the fins... possibly increasing cooling.

anyone tried this?
seen any difference?
is this just the insane ramblings of a guy who has to wait too long for a swiftech?

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?
October 29, 2001 10:43:49 AM

it may well help, a lot of hsf's come with a shroud at the top- to do exactly what you mention, dont see why it wouldt work, why not try it and post your results?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
October 29, 2001 1:50:50 PM

I'll do you one better. We all know heat rises. With fans on top it is blowing the heat back down. Why don't you mount fans on the side of the heatsink. Have the fans blowing toward the back. Also have case fan in the front and back blowing toward the back. It would create a wind tunnel and would push the heat out the back.

Jeff
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2001 1:55:10 PM

When the HSF sucks the air in it's gotta go somewhere otherwise you'll end up with the air being sucked in and not let out quick enough - therefore the air gets hotter and the cpu dosn't cool as fast. if ya get what I mean

Yo Norman - Kick up a STORM.
<A HREF="mailto:techie2000@supanet.com">techie2000@supanet.com</A>
October 29, 2001 8:43:40 PM

*thinks* i will try it tonite.
air will still escape from around the clip where i cant tape,
and i can see their being a slight pressure increase and thus fan speed decrease, with the fan mounted to blow down. but it should be minimal given that you have 2 whole sides of the HS at right angles to the clip available for airflow.

think thats why i prefer the simplicity and effectivness of the swiftech designs...
using round pins the air can go any which way, can make small pins far more accurately than small fins, and can squese more on

*thinks some more*
i can actually see myself covering quite alot of my fop32-1 with tape...
1. over the clips and clip gap
2. up the top, there is a gap between the fan & hsf (rudimentary shroud)
3. and even down say 0.5" all the way around at the top... so air is forced down further cauz it cant escape higher up... hmmms :)  (kinda like an extra big shroud)
cant go too far though, will restrict airflow, increase pressure, and reduce fan speed.

October 29, 2001 8:47:52 PM

well jeff, its allready been done
i know of one cooler like that for the pentium4, and at least 2 more for socketA.

problem with that design is the socket itself...
there are capicitors and stuff around the socket that would make it hard to design/mount, or restrict the size of the unit.

but people DO mount big 120mm fans in the top of their tower cases... ideal for sucking up the rising warm air and venting out the top.
p.s. dual fan PSU's also help in that regard.

a b à CPUs
October 30, 2001 2:10:21 AM

OK guys here is what I did. Take your regular heatsink and flip the fan over. So that it blows awaw from the cpu, like my old Alpha. Then i took aluminum tape and covered tha clip slots. Then I experimented a little and eventually covered the side of the fins about 1/3 of the way down from the top.So now all air is pulled in near the bottom of the heatsink through the fins. An allmost alpha copy.
Then I went one step farther. The old Dell cases did not use a cpu fan. They had a shroud that went from the back case fan arround to the heatsink. So I sort of coppied this too. Take a 3 inch PVC 90 degree elbow and slightly modified it to attack to my rear case fan with hot glue. now it sits completely over my cpu and heatsink with a small notch out of one side to clear dimm slot 1.It is about 1/2 inch off the motherboard. Just enough to miss the power cappacitors arround the cpu socket. So now this pulls air in arround my heatsink. Plus my heatsink is inside blowing towards the casefan. I have no heat from my cpu in my case. IT all gets sucked out the back by the case fan.
So now my P3 550e@869 1.8 volts runs at 33-34 degrees celsius with a coolermaster H/S and a sunon 26cfm fan.MY max temp is 48 degrees celsius with 1 instance of stability test running cpu warming. One running normal testing. AND on top of that ,Passmark burn in running also.While monitoring temps with asus probe .
Not too bad for $23 total and a lot of fun tinkering.
OH for all you delta 7000 rpm fan users. this pvc pipe cuts down on fan noise drastically.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rick_criswell on 10/29/01 11:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 30, 2001 2:52:16 AM

mmm interesting
dunno why but i always prefer the idea of a fan blowing down not up...
suppose it cant hurt to try both.
must now find some suitable tape... masking tape good enough?

and yes... ive seen that shroud at a swapmeet

it was on an old 486 or pentium...
chip embedded onto mobo like modern ones.
had a inch high pin heatsink...
and at the back of the case was quite a large 100+mm fan and a shroud leading over the cpu and heatsink.

in those days it would have been a very effective design. couse the fan also pulled heat from the rest of the case too.

i dont need a shroud as ive got my 92mm enermax above, and a 80mm thermaltake running at 3200rpm behind. between the two they create quite an airflow!

a b à CPUs
October 30, 2001 10:41:46 AM

The glue on masking tape will dry out and become brittle. I use the Aluminum Heat duct tape for Air conditioning/heating systems.

I aint signing nothing!!!
!