volcano 6cu or retail?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
k-
which would offer less noise for an xp1700, retail fan or volcano 6cu? btw, who supply's amd's hsf? do they just buy from manufacturer and slap their mark on it, or their own "special/top secret" hsf design? thanks.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Check the size and rotation speed of the fan on the retail, and then check the same on the 6u. That should show you which will be quieter.

I believe we discovered the Tbird's retail HSF was made by Globalwin. That might have changed with the XP, but I doubt it.

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I think the retail is a bit quieter, but the 6cu is still very quiet. I doubt there's more than a couple dB difference. It's tough to say since I don't have a retail hsf running on a pc in the same room as this one.

As far as performance though the 6cu is pretty damn good. At 1000 I hit 45 running toast at 100%. At 1150 I only hit 47. My idle is still in the 30's though and under normal usage I never get above 42. Find out what people get running the XP, but I'd guess it's pretty good. Considering that the HSF only costs $15 with shipping there's not much to complain about.

Whatever you do, don't get the 6cu+ since it's a lot noisier but not much of a performance difference.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
With an XP 1600+ and a Volcano 6 CU (Not Plus), I run at about 45-46, but I keep Seti running 24/7. If I turn it off, I get down to 42 in under a minute, and I've seen it as low as 39. And that is with the default compound and no sham. With paste and a sham, might cool even more. Probably another degree or two.

Noise wise, the specs say 31.5 Db I believe. It's pretty quiet, but I have 4 case fans going too, so I may not be the best judge.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bront on 10/29/01 11:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>