Sign in with
Your question

Connection problems with Windows 7/64

Last response: in Windows 7
February 6, 2013 11:13:05 PM

Just home from vacation and now it seems, after a two week hiatus, that my internet connection is crazy.
Other things on the network are working as they should: TV, iPad, laptop. It is simply my desktop that is nuts!

I have a wired and a wireless connection. Altho this computer is connected directly (albeit thru a router) to the internet, the moment I set up the wireless connection a couple of years ago, it preferred to use that. I don't know why. In any case, I don't really care WHAT it uses, just so it works.

So I have a HOMEGROUP listed, with a connection that it doesn't use. Then my wireles network, which it used to connect to. NOW there appears, in addition to my wireless connection, an "Unidentified wireless connection". It says (in the control panel) that it is connected to my own wireless network, yet, at the bottom right corner of my screen, the wireless icon shows the dreaded yellow exclamation point!!! and it appears to be conneced to the "unidentified".

I have checked device manager and it says my driver is working properly. I CAN now connect to the internet, but this was not the case earlier in the afternoon. I tried System Recovery, with no change. For some reason the connection is now working, but only as "Unidentified", and listing that <!> icon.

Windows 7 64 Bit
RaLink 802.11; 3.2.13.0
MS WiFi Miniport Adapter #2
Realtek PCIe FE Controller
Avast Antivirus
Windows Firewall

Win tells me my driver is up to date.

I use Malwarebytes regularly.

NOT a homebuilt machine: HP Pavillion p6640f.

I do not use sleep/hybernate, ever.
So why has my connection gone to sleep???

I have read previous posts relating to this, but none seem to solve my problem.

I would appreciate any guidance, as this is really driving me nuts!

Thanks.
Georgia
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 11:22:49 PM

Hello... did someone take control/ HIJACK your wireless connection while you were away?... Is there a PASSWORD for your wireless network setup? DO a firmware re-set/re-boot of your device?
m
l
!