Sign in with
Your question

tualatins on old motherboards

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2001 2:50:07 PM

this is confusing the hell out of me....i have heard so many conflicting answers to this question....is it possible to run any of the new celerons (tualatin or coppermine) on a BX Slot1 motherboard using a special adaptor? i have seen a webpage for a sloket adaptor claiming to allow the use of the new tualatin celerons in old motherboards which dont support the tualatin core....is a device like this possible and how much would it cost?
also does one of these adaptors exist for the coppermine core?
thanx in advance for any help

More about : tualatins motherboards

October 29, 2001 3:00:39 PM

For Coppermine cores in older Motherboards it's almost 100% sure that they will work, if not plug and play AKAK just put it in and go, than all you'll most likely need is a BIOS Update so the Board will eb able to support the Coppermine Core.....The Tualitin though......hmmm.....I've heard everywhere that no older board will support the Tualitin becasue the Chipset is not compatible with FC-PGA2 as opposed to Coppermines FC-PGA (1 technically)

Theoretically the Tualitin SHOULD work....I dont know the EXACT differences off the top of my head, but the only thing i can think is the trace route path that the Pins take to conenct to the Motherbaord are different on the FC-PGA2 chips compared to (Tualitin) compared to FC-PGA (Coppermine)

Go to your Motherboard Manufacturer's website and see if that baord is still supported and download the latest BIOS and check to see whether they support the Coppermine AND/OR Tualitin core CPU's witht hat specific board.

Sorry If I couldn't help any, but Good Luck....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2001 3:18:31 PM

that depends entirely on how hard i throw my p4 at ur z28 :p 

and thanx for the reply :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 29, 2001 3:54:40 PM

Oh yea, but does ur P4 have a Stage 2 Shiftkie and Over 350Lbs Ft. of Torque ?!?

LoL

No Problem =)

But yea, seriously my car does have that..heh

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
October 29, 2001 5:53:39 PM

one pin on the FCPGA is ground whereas its live(1.25v I think) on FCPGA2, thats one problem, the GTL voltage(I think thats the right term) is different.
there are several problems, there is an adapter, requires a floppy connector for a power source.
I think its made by Powerleap.
it still requires a motherboard that will run a 133mhz fsb.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2001 7:16:23 PM

"it still requires a motherboard that will run a 133mhz fsb."

even for the tualatin celeron? doesnt that run at 100mhz?
October 29, 2001 7:39:03 PM

the celeron would work fine with the adapter alone, sorry, forgot to mention it.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
October 30, 2001 3:22:15 AM

The Website (it was Abit) claimed that they support the "Coppermine-T" version of Pentium-III with a BIOS update. Everybody does that. It is not Tualatin. Its still a 0.18u P-III breed, dont know exactly what the difference is, but Coppermine-T gives CPUID model as 0x68A while the
Tualatin CPUID returns 0x6B0 or 0x6B1.

Older Coppermine and Tualatin have different sockets. The Coppermine is FCPGA while the Tualatin is FCPGA2.

Although the number of pins on the socket is the same, they differ by placement of some signal pins. A processor socket definition is not just the physical socket, it is a complete specification of its physical, electrical and logical characteristics.

Currently Coppermine P-IIIs are available upto 1.13 GHz, and a 1.1 GHz version with 100 MHz FSB is also available. Tualatin is currently available in 1.13A (A indicates 0.13u Tualatin) and 1.2 GHz, and I expec to reach 1.5~1.6 GHz, with a higher FSB of 166 MHz!

Tualatin uses lower voltage than its predecessors, which was fine if it had to be used on older boards. But it also uses a new kind of clock signal, a differential clock that requires a new Northbridge, in effect a motherboard.

Most of the P-III chipsets now have Tualatin versions, but you do need a board upgrade anyway to support the Tualatin. For example, i815 is revised to rev B0, and Asus brought out the TUSL2, the Tualatin compatible version of CUSL2.

Theorotically there could be a adaptor fot Tualatin->Coppermine that would translate the differential clock to single ended (I guess it is so) and support lower voltages, but it isnt available yet, as far as I know.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
October 30, 2001 3:31:01 AM

I think I already stated your basic points girish, and I was the first to respond to his question, heh heh but Thanx for re-stating it... =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2001 3:53:24 AM

thanx everyone for any help
i guess ill have to wait and see what is available at the computer shops here....im just trying to milk every bit of life from my old Abit BX6 2.0

now all i need is an adaptor to let me use a duron in my BX chipset MB :p 

hmmmmmmmmm......nah i wont even ask :p 
but theres no harm in dreaming
hehe
October 30, 2001 3:57:42 AM

yes, I just went a bit further and explained the tech. Nothing more!

Basically I Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V'ed one of my older post. This question has been asked sooo many times, I have made myself a repository of some Q&A that I can simply copy/paste.
:lol: 

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
!