Help w/ netwoking issue

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 24, 2004 6:03:22 PM

We have an XPS T450. Under 98, 98Se, and now under
XP Home, this PC, and only this PC has been impossible to network to. We've
swapped cards, no luck.

It can be 'seen' on the network, but access is denied..along the lines of,
you may not have permission, see administrator. All the obvious is done-
files and folders are shared, etc. We use the wizard, still no luck.
Changed cables, cards...

Anyone aware of this unit having problems??? Thanks-

--
B'Regards,

Vinnie

More about : netwoking issue

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 6:03:23 PM

there is a sequence you must run under windows XP network wizard:
at the outcome of this wiz, you are prompted to create a floppy diskette.
do it!
Then: run that program (something like netsetup.exe) on your '98 system.
This installs XP's protocol files to '98 so they will become compatible.

Finally, and you might try this first, you need to install netbeui on your
XP system as well as your '98 system.
As long as this is a small network (under 100 units), Netbeui is far easier
to manage / work with than TCP/IP.

For details on how to install Netbeui on XP, well... that's another post.
However, I have an archived .bat program zipped up using WinRAR into a
self-extracting file that will make it a LOT easier!
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/files/NetBeui-XP.e...

R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
*Help for Humans in Need*
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)

--Unable to load REALITY.SYS: Invalid parameter: /UTOPIA

"Uncle Vinnie" <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
> We have an XPS T450. Under 98, 98Se, and now under
> XP Home, this PC, and only this PC has been impossible to network to.
> We've swapped cards, no luck.
>
> It can be 'seen' on the network, but access is denied..along the lines of,
> you may not have permission, see administrator. All the obvious is done-
> files and folders are shared, etc. We use the wizard, still no luck.
> Changed cables, cards...
>
> Anyone aware of this unit having problems??? Thanks-
>
> --
> B'Regards,
>
> Vinnie

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 9:06:30 PM

try this..
http://annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-108
if that dosen't help then tell us more, specifically...
was this an upgrade or clean install of xp?
pro or home?
what are the other coputers on your lan running?
do you have file and printer sharing enabled?

"Uncle Vinnie" <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
> We have an XPS T450. Under 98, 98Se, and now under
> XP Home, this PC, and only this PC has been impossible to network to.
We've
> swapped cards, no luck.
>
> It can be 'seen' on the network, but access is denied..along the lines of,
> you may not have permission, see administrator. All the obvious is done-
> files and folders are shared, etc. We use the wizard, still no luck.
> Changed cables, cards...
>
> Anyone aware of this unit having problems??? Thanks-
>
> --
> B'Regards,
>
> Vinnie

September 25, 2004 12:35:36 AM

I'm off to annoyances, thank you.. in the meantime, we have 4 computers
running XP Home, 1 running XP Pro, and 1 running 98 SE. This, in addition
to the XPS, running XP Home. It was a clean install onto a new Hard drive.

Everything was done automatically (using XP wizards- Ctrl Panel, Internet
etc) all with file sharing.

This computer was also a problem when it ran 98Se, that's why I decided I
had to head here..

Thanks for your help...

> try this..
> http://annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-108
> if that dosen't help then tell us more, specifically...
> was this an upgrade or clean install of xp?
> pro or home?
> what are the other coputers on your lan running?
> do you have file and printer sharing enabled?
>

> "Uncle Vinnie" <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
>> We have an XPS T450. Under 98, 98Se, and now under
>> XP Home, this PC, and only this PC has been impossible to network to.
> We've
>> swapped cards, no luck.
>>
>> It can be 'seen' on the network, but access is denied..along the lines
>> of,
>> you may not have permission, see administrator. All the obvious is done-
>> files and folders are shared, etc. We use the wizard, still no luck.
>> Changed cables, cards...
>>
>> Anyone aware of this unit having problems??? Thanks-
>>
>> --
>> B'Regards,
>>
>> Vinnie

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 5:33:34 PM

Found it.. thank you... the common problem was NOT the Dell after all. It
was the VPN software, which we ran under 98 as well as under XP after
everything was upgraded.

When I removed 'Deterministic Network Enhancer' from the listing of
protocols, all worked fine.

And a quick Google confirmed it's a problem. Unfortunately, you have to go
through all the steps until you figure it out.. and shout for help along the
way as well!

Thanks, all! I now know where the problem lies and who to call to help fix
it!

> I'm off to annoyances, thank you.. in the meantime, we have 4 computers
> running XP Home, 1 running XP Pro, and 1 running 98 SE. This, in addition
> to the XPS, running XP Home. It was a clean install onto a new Hard
> drive.
>
> Everything was done automatically (using XP wizards- Ctrl Panel, Internet
> etc) all with file sharing.
>
> This computer was also a problem when it ran 98Se, that's why I decided I
> had to head here..
>
> Thanks for your help...
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> try this..
>> http://annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-108
>> if that dosen't help then tell us more, specifically...
>> was this an upgrade or clean install of xp?
>> pro or home?
>> what are the other coputers on your lan running?
>> do you have file and printer sharing enabled?
>>

>> "Uncle Vinnie" <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
>>> We have an XPS T450. Under 98, 98Se, and now under
>>> XP Home, this PC, and only this PC has been impossible to network to.
>> We've
>>> swapped cards, no luck.
>>>
>>> It can be 'seen' on the network, but access is denied..along the lines
>>> of,
>>> you may not have permission, see administrator. All the obvious is
>>> done-
>>> files and folders are shared, etc. We use the wizard, still no luck.
>>> Changed cables, cards...
>>>
>>> Anyone aware of this unit having problems??? Thanks-
>>>
>>> --
>>> B'Regards,
>>>
>>> Vinnie

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 8:12:46 PM

"Uncle Vinnie" <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote:

>Found it.. thank you... the common problem was NOT the Dell after all. It
>was the VPN software, which we ran under 98 as well as under XP after
>everything was upgraded.

Glad you've gotten your wok onto the net. A wok is a terrible
thing to waste.

["The Devil made me do it." - Geraldine, aka Flip Wilson]
--
OJ III