MN-100; firmware update, port forwarding and UPnP issues

I tried to update the firmware for MN-100 router manually
for a couple of times. It was unsuccessful every time.
Later, I realized the version that the MN-100 has is
actually newer than the file I downloaded. I quitted and
everything seems working. Now, the problem is that the
power light of MN-100 keeps flashing between yellow and
green. Manual says this indicates the MN-100 is updating
firmware. The light has been flashing for two days. How do
I fix this?

According www.portforward.com, To setup port forwarding on
this router you computer needs to have a static ip address.
Is this true?

The manual of MN-100 says that this router has UPnP
feature/specification. But I can not find a thing to enable
or disable this UPnP. Is MN-100 really UPnP? If it is, I
don't have to open ports for instant messenger, such as MSN
for audio/video conference and file transfer. Am I right?

Any suggestion is welcome!

Peng

You do not need to be using static ips to use port forwarding.

So long as your devices' mac address doesn't change, and you don't change
the dhcp port range (out of which the dhcp will assign ips), the ip address
assigned by the router won't change.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Peng Lei" <peng0lei@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I tried to update the firmware for MN-100 router manually
> for a couple of times. It was unsuccessful every time.
> Later, I realized the version that the MN-100 has is
> actually newer than the file I downloaded. I quitted and
> everything seems working. Now, the problem is that the
> power light of MN-100 keeps flashing between yellow and
> green. Manual says this indicates the MN-100 is updating
> firmware. The light has been flashing for two days. How do
> I fix this?
>
> According www.portforward.com, To setup port forwarding on
> this router you computer needs to have a static ip address.
> Is this true?
>
> The manual of MN-100 says that this router has UPnP
> feature/specification. But I can not find a thing to enable
> or disable this UPnP. Is MN-100 really UPnP? If it is, I
> don't have to open ports for instant messenger, such as MSN
> for audio/video conference and file transfer. Am I right?
>
> Any suggestion is welcome!
>
> Peng

Jason,

Thanks for your promt reply.

Is it possile for you to shed some light on the issues of
firmware updating and UPnP?

peng