Need info on how to upgrade my Microprocessor

G

I have a HP pavillion with a AMD k6 500mhz, id like to bump it up to a 866 intell 3. Im looking for someone to give me some info on which microprocessor would be best, Basic knowledge on whats involved on installing it, and if its possible for me to do this with the type of mainboard i have. Thanks.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Interesting username, considering you're asking about upgrading to a Pentium.

You'll need a new motherboard to upgrade to basically anything else.

Are you looking at Intel or AMD? Either you're confused or I am, and it could easily be either :)

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you will need a new board and the processor. on this you still have choice since you can go either way, intel or AMD.

for a P3, I suggest you to go for the Asus TUSL2-C, which will allow you to upgrade the processor to newer Tualatin versions, maybe higher than the 1.2 GHz current highest.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

Thanks guys, Im interested in building my own computer anyways, i was wondering about the HP I have and if I was able to upgrade it or not. So the TUSL2-C is what I should look for? Im not looking to go higher then 1ghz, id like to stay below that or go with something that is paralell to a P3, id like to try and stay as cost effecient as possible im sure the 1ghz +'s are probobly expensive and more then what I need at the time. Thanks again for the help.

No you arent confused, I personally like AMD better, just didnt know what AMD made for compitition versus the P3. Im a newb so anyhelp from you guys here is appreciated.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
1ghz thunderbird costs about 68 bucks.
1ghz p3 costs ::consults pricewatch:: 139$

The thunderbird is faster than the p3, even though they have the same mhz rating.

If you wanted best value, I would reccomend the athlonxp 1500, it runs 112, and it is CONSIDERABLY faster than the p3 1ghz which again costs more. A good motherboard runs you about 120, but some can be found for cheaper, a good one is the ecs k7s5a which costs 69 bucks and is very fast. 256 megs ddr ram is a cool 40, and a case with a good psu will run you 50. There is the start of a powerful replacement system.

The days of intel charging 600+ for processors are over thanks to amd. Now you can have equal or as you can see here, better performance for far less.

Others can help you choose specific parts, but this is a good start I believe.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~