XP's Thermal Diode DOES WORK!!

G

(Sorry for my english, I'm Italian.... ;-)

...please download this movie, and post your opinions...
(you have to rename the file with the .avi extension to watch it)

http://www.nonsolohardware.it/XpTest.av

download and watch it!

i've made the same test maked by amdzone, and the result is the same, too!

i've used in the test a normal motherboard like the ecs k7s5a, not a siemens! the ecs one does not provide the fully official support to the xp's thermal diode, but if the cpu cooling fails, the thermal protection does work anyway!!

cool?

please follow also this thread in the "hardware upgrade" forum:

http://forum.hwupgrade.it/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151016

bye!

FatBurger

Illustrious
We've seen AMD's marketing video, but thanks for letting us know anyway :)

Spam spam spam spam
Spam spam spam spam
Spam spam spam spam
Spam spam spam spam
SSSSSSPPPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<font color=red>SPAM!</font color=red>

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
good luck in finding a mainboard that will complete AMD's half-assed thermal solution, afaik there's two that support it and one failed(fujitsu-semen) one passed(AMD ref mb).

<i>i've used in the test a normal motherboard like the ecs k7s5a, not a siemens! the ecs one does not provide the fully official support to the xp's thermal diode, but if the cpu cooling fails, the thermal protection does work anyway!!</i>

make a video, dude I wanna see this LOL!

all XP owners must upgrade to a newer mobo, what a shame! ROTFLMAO!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMeltdown on 10/30/01 12:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
fat is that your new sig?

THG mods, do I have any option to disable the sig spam???

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Kyle:
Many of you are sending in linkage to a video, that is very misleading, of an AMD CPU not burning up when the heatsink is removed. First off, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME as you will end up with a dead CPU if you own an Athlon or Duron. Currently, all of the retail boards sold here in the United States do not support the AthlonXP or Morgan Core Duron's internal temperature monitoring diode. So while yes, in theory, it certainly can work and will work with a multitude of boards one day, do not let these people pushing these videos lead you astray. You can and will burn up your AMD CPU if you try it at home. We will certainly be updating you as to what retail boards will be supporting the on-die temperature monitoring when they are announced.

Excuse the length of this, but here is a mail from the gentleman that the video originated with that we saw first here about a week ago, but we decided to NOT draw attention to it because of its misleading nature.

Regarding about the video showing AMD's CPU did not burned up in a simulated HSF-failure tests. I'm responsible for getting that video, from a reliable source, and posted on the net. First with HardOCP's forum and then Anandtech's Forum...

It is simple as this... both CPU and motherboard (AMD platforms) reference design has internal thermal diode. Chipsets/BIOS on the motherboard has to correctly detect what kind of CPUs it is (let it be Duron, Thunderbird, MP, XP... etc.), so it can correctly calibrate and use the full functions of thermal diode.

Tom's tests most likely did not had the right motherboard to support the CPUs and therefore, CPU burned up as in his tests. Which I'm not surprised... (and no... I'm not working for AMD and I'm not a spokesperson for anyone on this issue)

People been questioning the authenticity of the video, honestly... I can't tell you much more than this... I did get this video from a reliable source and it is *made* by AMD. If Mr. Tom Pabst wasn't so famous, I probably can say something about his video (not that it isn't authentic) too... such as asking "Is he bought out by Intel? Just to to discredit AMD's technology?!"

I'm not here to prove Tom is wrong, just he could've be more thoroughly on his tests. Knowing the fact that Intel's R&D department is much much more bigger and better than AMD's, plus Intel's standardization among computer hardware is incredible. Also noting that he uses a motherboard, which it claims, to support the thermal diode of the Palominos (Chipsets not developed by AMD and board isn't made of AMD's reference design).

Again, you people have my word that the video did came from AMD... and you can believe whatever you want to believe. This is costing too much confusion and it certainly isn't necessary. A simple fact that I've point out and I hope you guys can get it as it is... Like HardOCP said... "DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!" Have a nice day!

(Only reason I removed the main download link is because Apache, most likely, had a bug that crashed my OpenBSD server. For it not to happen again, I removed the link. =)

Hardocp has this on their news page, toms test was done on hardware which was NOT xp diode ready, just an interesting side note to the whole crap. Toms new article makes it seem like he brought the heat issue to the attention of everyone, LOL, if your cpu had a feature only newer mobos supported and it was tested on a non compliant mobo, would you be blamed if it failed?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
all XP owners must upgrade to a newer mobo, what a shame! ROTFLMAO!

Only if you are so stupid than you plan to remove your heatsink during a quake 3 game......which means you will have to buy a new motherboard Meltdown.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crap!!!

They used the K7S5A???

Do they know what a diode is??? It just senses the temperature, and changes the voltage accross it inversely proportional to the its temperature. This voltage has to be measured by <i>some</i> circuit and calibrated by the system. There is no such circuit on the K7S5A.

The Athlon does not have any onchip thermal control circuits. It just provides the means to measure the die temp, it does not itself control it.

In the test, the Athlon seems even better than the P4, it doesnt even drop a frame when the fan is switched off. P4 crawled!

Some perverse guys trying to spread the dead cpu virus all over. new kind of warfare maybe. do not fall prey to it.

girish

P.S. THE ATHLON XP DOES NOT HAVE ANY THERMAL PROTECTION CIRCUIT. IT NEEDS MOTHERBOARD SUPPORT.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
matisaro, LOL! the mainboard tom used came from the Company you work for(fooljitsu-seimens D1289 mainboard) which is supposedly to have thermal diode support for the Palomino.

also that Video from AMD showing a badly configured P4 is very questionable considering where it came from, don't be fooled by AMD's monkey see monkey do marketing ppl.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
fat is that your new sig?

THG mods, do I have any option to disable the sig spam???

Of course not, I was merely commenting on the post.

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We all know that the XP's thermal diode works. The thermal protection will only work as good as the design of the external thermal controller.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude make it <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">click link</A>

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
you know what's weird? i see the same people respond in this category as well as the graphics card category. these same people seem to put down ati for it immature r8500 driver and when amd comes out with a "immature" thermal diode for its palamino chip, they defend it almost to the point of me laughing. im not bias towards amd or ati, i just think its really sad.

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thermal diode immature????

i wont call it as immature, Palomino has it, Morgan has it and even the P3 has it. It is a facility, not a intelligent self monitoring circuit.

those bords are immature that do not take advantage of this facility.

girish

G

I've not been following the video thread; however, the thermal diode protection thing is something I dont care about at all (even as an Athlon user). The chances of this negatively impacting my computer experience are about as big as winning the lottery. Ever since I have a Swiftech cooler, I'd even say they are absolutely ZERO (have look at the swiftech website... they dropped a computer from 2 floors high on concrete, several times, and the heatsink was still attached properly).

Now, having a Radeon with poor drivers is something entirely different. Depending on how bad they are, they will impact my gaming experience (in fact, they have, when I bought a Radeon VE and it gave me huge headaches under win2K).

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*sings*

Spam spam spam spam... everybody loves spam... spaspaspamspam spam spam spam everybody loves spam...

joke:
Q. what happens when u overclock spam?
A. u get a nice dinner

Q. why did the spam cross the road?
A. how the hell should i know??? do i look like a spam expert to u? (dont answer that!)

Q. why do my jokes suck?
A. cauz im better at technical troubleshooting

Q. Does a 'bandwidth hog' consume all the virtual spam???

think ill shut up now :)

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

G

Oh my god!
I`m very suprised about how YOU are defending Intel`s position in this thread.
As german hardware FrEaK I would compare THG to the german boulevard press "BILD Zeitung" *wuhahaha*
One thing is clear: THG burned AMD CPU´s while knowing that the mainboard they used (SIEMENS) support the XP/MP Athlon but not the termal secure function of it.
Then they called their "test" a significant error of AMD Athlon XP and MP CPU`s and said that AMD had never changed anything on this prob without this video...
Oh [-peep-] --> that `s quite funny because a lot of time before THG released the video AMD had a whitepaper about how to design a mainboard with termal protection. Is it their fault that the

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Meltdown, the motherboard does NOT support the thermal diode according to AMD's specification, If a p4 motherboard maker did not follow Intels guidelines and the mobo fried the p4 chips, would you blame intel, NO.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
let me finish his post.

Is is amd's fault the motherboard manufacturer did not follow their specifications and claimed the board was fully thermal protected, NO it is fujitsu siemens fault.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
good...then you have one less thing to worry about.

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Yes, I am. I couldn't resist, and I make no apologies. I'm not offended by the "jerk" comment though--in fact, I laughed harder than I've laughed in a long time. :smile: I'm still not sure why I found it so funny...

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://htttp://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."