G

OK here's my situation

1Ghz AMD TBird
DFI AMD760 Mobo
256 MB DDR memory
Leadtek Geforce2 GTS

Just bought everything minus the video card two weeks ago. I first had Windows XP loaded on the machine. I could run Dark Ago of Camelot fine. Also Age of Empires II ran fine. However, when I would play Madden 2002, Midtown Madness 2, or Motocross Madness 2 after about 10-15 of playing the machine would freeze, blue screen, then reboot. It was a stop error and the DLL involved was nv4_disp.dll. So I started playing with different driver version and I believe I've tried everyone back to 6.X. Yes I used the XP drivers built into XP. No luck. I thought it could be a problem with XP so I rebuild to windows 98SE. Different problem. It would either crash to the desktop or get an illegal operation.

At this point I started thinking heat. Everytime I would reboot with XP I checked the heat level. My CPU was consistently around 49-51 degrees celsius. This didn't seem too hot to me. However, I went ahead and made some modifications. I moved all my other cards to the bottom slots. I left the open slots open in the back. I installed a fan (kind of hanging there on the open slots) under the video card blowing out. I also installed another fan near the CPU blowing out the back. I began to check the temp and it seems to help quite a bit (dropped about 10 degrees when I checked). Now maybe I need a better tool to check temp, but I'm still crashing to the desktop in 98. It's very frustrating. Could it still be heat? When I get home I'm going to leave the left side of my case open just to test.

I've updated drivers for the motherboard and any patches for the AMD chipset, but still nothing.

Thanks
KOP

G

It's not the heat, I'm betting.

I'd say back up your important stuff and format.

9 times out of 10 that will fix stuff like this.

<font color=blue>Jesus saves...</font color=blue><font color=red>and takes half damage!</font color=red>