Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
First of all I'm being serious for a momment here.
I was wondering if anyone has ever had trouble with having their tower on a carpet. I was told that the static electricity could be very bad for most of the system components. I myself avoid having my tower on a carpet and I generally tell people not to take the chance, but is this caution warranted?

AMD = Anger Management Disorder

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i wouldn't put it directly on the carpet, chances might be slim but still, that would suck. if nothing else, throw a piece of cardboard or something under it.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My full tower has always been on the carpet (about 2 years) and I haven't had any problems. Hmm...now ya' got me wondering.

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, one of my primary systems is on a carpet and it runs without any problems. I use it often enough.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PC's are grounded through your electrical AC outlet so your case is perfectly safe resting on a carpet.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>

G

Yes what he said, but only if the third prong leads to an acceptable ground. Electricians can't be trusted. You might want to check it. I always check new ones before plugging in anything. Oh yeah, this only works if you leave the PC plugged in. Unplugged PC's, or PC's plugged into plugs with faulty grounds are floating and could build up a damaging static charge. That's why I leave mine plugged in while I work on it. No need for one of those grounded wrist bands.

FatBurger

Illustrious
lol
Do you ever briskly rub your computer back and forth on the carpet? That's the only way for static to build up.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
hehe, sorry, since he brought this topic up i can't get that older discovery commercial out of my head with the kid and the dog. man that cracked me up.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
cant see static being a trouble.
case is metal and god shielding/grounding.

unless u open it up, rub your feet quickly on the carpet and touch the ram...

course there may be dust/heat issues.

if your PC is sitting on thickcarpet... and the intake fan is close to the carpet or has an airflow that sucks from below the front case cover, then you may be getting more than your fair share of dust. nicely insulating everything.

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Static charges are created by a change in capacitance. You don't have to rub your feet on a carpet. Sitting still in a chair and raising your arm can produce a static charge over 10,000v. The problem is that we (humans) cannot detect/feel static charges that are under 50,000v. Without proper grounding, static charges under 50,000v can and do degrade silicon components. While these static charges may not destroy silicon components, they will certainly shorten the life of the components, and can lead to instability as the components degrade and operating characterics of the component change. So, unless properly done, it is possible that we are damaging components each time we handle them, yet we are not aware of the static charges that are occuring each time.

A wrist strap is the safest way to go. As indicated in a previous post, many electricians do not attach the ground line properly. Some simply ground to the conduit (or some other intermediate point), and some are not connected at all!

Since I wired my basement, I know the outlets are properly grounded. Two of my systems sit on the carpet in my basement, and I have never had a problem. However, my basement (like most) is damp, and that helps insulate against static.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Tom_Smart

Illustrious
evry thing you said makes sense, except having a carprt in a damp basement. that can't be good

Although it has a lot of good ideas, beer doesn't know anything about computers!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
but its better to be safe then sorry

I'm assuming you don't drive, for fear of hitting someone? Sorry, couldn't resist.

jlbigguy, I'm not talking about handling components, I'm talking about having your (closed) computer case sitting on carpet. That can cause no problems, for reasons others explained better than I can.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

cpl_tunnel

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Question about wrist straps...my friend is always giving me crap when I use mine (always have the machine unplugged when messing with the innards) saying that I'm not properly grounded and the wrist strap is doing nothing. Do I need to have the power supply plugged in, or does the wrist strap itself do the trick?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I actually think that your friend is right on that one, a wrist strap connects you to the pc case to ground you, but if the pc psu is not plugged in it is not grounded.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are no puddles on my basement floor. However, the humidity is higher then the rest of my home. I really should use a dehumidifier down there, but then, that will increase the likelyhood of static discharge. It's a dilemma!

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do not plug in the PS when you use a wrist strap. Connect the wrist strap to a metal post on the PS if possible, or to the frame of the case. But be sure the equipment is not plugged in!

The purpose of the wrist strap is not to ground you, but to place you at the same electrical potential as the component you are handling. As long as you are at the same potential (voltage) as the equipment, there can be no static discharge. Static discharge is a result of a difference of potential between 2 bodies.