Confused

G

I give up. I must be on information overload. I am buying a new computer for home. Maybe someone out there can increase my confusion and knowledge. Why should I buy celeron or pentium? duron or athlon. I realize this is an old topic but I just want to make sure.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
buy a celron so that you could upgrade to a pentium-iii later. buy a duron so that you could upgrade to a Athlon later.

buy a good board so that these upgrades would be as painless as possible.

I would recommend Asus TUSL2-C with Celron 900 or Asus A7V266-E for Duron 800.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

sakattack

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2001
old Celerons & PIII are dead & buried as desktop CPUs (P3 will survive only in the mobile version).

Intel is promoting P4 but has already changed P4 socket once.
The "cheap" Intel alternative is the new Celeron , based on the new 370 m/bs.

Durons & Athlons (old & new cores) all use the same socket A m/bs.

You should keep in mind all that, if you are considering future upgradability.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
P4 is a loser. P3 still holds against the P4.

P3 has now a new incarnation Tualatin, with a improved clocking that indicated plans to increase the FSB, 166MHz or maybe 200 MHz! With that P3 might go upto 1.6 GHz or even more.

There is no viable platform for the P4 right now, RDRAM is costly, SDRAM is suicide. DDR is a long wait.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
You cannot go wrong with an AMD Athlon with DDR memory. If you can afford it go for an Athlon XP processor.

P.S Invest in a good graphics card i.e Geforce 2 or 3

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

sakattack

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2001
Actually all Intel CPUs are losers right now!

It's the Tualatin I'm talking about that is buried, since it is priced too high by Intel, to compete either with P4 or the Athlon. And I do not believe that it will be for sale much longer.

Take into account the uncertainty about the Intel CPU sockets with all those changes and you 've got 3 good reasons to stay away from Intel, at least for the time being.

1.price
2.performance
3.ability to upgrade