QueryPerformanceCounter bug?

Aeon

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Hi. Well maybe this belongs in 3 categories at once, or on a different site, but I thought I'd try my luck here.

I have a friend who is having trouble running a game. The problem is the game is running VERY fast. No, it's not an old dos game, it's a current online game. We've narrowed it down to his QueryPerformanceCounter/QueryPerformanceFrequency calls. It seems the counter is jumping ahead. I'm waiting for him to get back from work in order to do further testing.

In the meantime though, does anybody know anything about this? Do you know what might cause this call to give erraneous results, or what could be done about it?

I need to get more specific info about his computer I know, but what I have is that the system is:
Original system was:
IBM, Win98, 400mhz AMD K6-2 (maybe 450, been a long time so not sure), 64MB, 8GB Quantum Bigfoot HD, TNT2 8MB Onboard AGP vid chip, onboard basic sound, and all the other basic stuff....

Upgrades were in this order over the last 2.5 years or so:
Added 2nd HD, Maxtor 20GB (5400 I think, again long time, so not sure)
Added NIC card for Cable Modem
Upgraded to Win2K Pro
533mhz processor (MB will only config up to 500, so it's not using some of that)
2 new 128MB mem chips so up to 256 now
Recently added a GeForce2, 32MB vid card (PCI since I don't have an AGP slot)

It's important to note that the system used to work with the very same game. The only change was that the hard drive died and he had to reinstall. He has tried it with a bare bones system, without any extras, and no luck.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on these timer calls.

aeon

ps, wth is up with having 5 lines in the edit window? I feel like I'm in a tank here.

stryker115

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
I don't think I know enough to help you... but this problem sounds like something I was reading about on the Asheron's Call board... are you that same guy? If you are, that sucks they kicked out like that... hope you get it worked out. If you aren't... maybe you should ask him what he has found out =) Good luck