Athlon vs Intel

G

First it is stated that the Athlon 1800 is the "performance winner":

"We've got our performance winner in this extensive CPU test - the AMD Athlon XP 1800+ tops the Intel Pentium 4/2000 in most of the applications benchmarks we selected. The Athlon XP's strengths really lie with 3D games that use DirectX 7 or DirectX 8. "

Then stated later:
"Another factor is the stability and product quality of a system: while all Athlon processors suffered from occasional instability in our tests, the Pentium 4 platform ran without a glitch."

How can you say a processor is a "performance winner" if ALL (read the quote at top) Athlon processors suffered from instability?

I would think that a "performance winner" would need to "perform" in all circumstances, which apparently isn't true for the Athlon, but is true for the Intel chips, as stated in the above quote.

Interesting... :)

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Hmmm.....I wonder if anyone realizes this is most likely to fault of Tom....as Instability from a processor is usually only from excessive heat.....THEREFORE its probably a Motherboard/Chipset issue.....
VIA Makes fast chipsets i'll agree to that, but can anyone say Buggy ???

You know AmDMeltdoofuss's Signature ??
AMD/VIA, you aer STILL the weakest link...

well, it should be VIA, you are STILL the weakest link, as we all nkow its not the processors fault....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
If you ask me, instability has very little to do with hardware if you have a system that is set up properly.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I think the reviewers did not properly set up their systems, all of the athlons I have built have been solid as a rock.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
How come the p4 system was stable then? Why would they only set up the amd systems 'wrong'? Holy thermal diode batman! maybe it was the processors themselves that were less stable?! Or perhaps the motherboard on the amd rig?

AMD = Anger Management Disorder<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Intel_inside on 10/31/01 11:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
it run pretty damn stable with my AMD/VIA as well.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
do the new athlon xp's still ahve the same heat issues that regular athlons do? i know that if they do i don't want to touch them with a ten foot pole. i worked with those athlons all summer, they all sucked big fatty, you need a freaking oven mit to handle those suckers.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

G

Yo, guys, sit back and relax! Tom and his friends blurbs out a obligatory "Athlon processors suffered from occasional instability". Well I'm soo surprised...

Have you ever read any other benchmarks elsewhere where the Athlon behaved "instabile", any tests where they have to cut off the benchmarks because the Athlon caused any trouble??

Fact is that many comp sites today uses a AMD system to test Graphic cards and new games. I read a lot of reviews, and I have never seen any words about "instability"!

Don't you get it? IIt is just the way Tom's have to behave. Otherwise the Intel fanboys would have nothing to troll about.

I have run an old Athlon B 1.1G 200fsb at 1.3G 274fsb on a W2000 system for almost a year now. 100% stable. (VIA chipset).

All this instability talk is just utter bulls**t. Something you scare children (Intel lemmings) with when they don't do what their parents (Pa Intel) order them to...

***A-Man***

...is it?...NO, it's AnotherMan...

G

AMD chips are NOT (I repeat NOT!) unstable. I sell them day in day out. NO PROBLEMS if setup properly. Well, you can have problems on some of the really cheap boards out there, wherein they can't handle the highest clocked cpu's (but then I don't sell the crap boards, so I can't even confirm that).

Why would I hint that they didn't set it up right? Well they were too stupid to figure out how to unlock them right (note:I hope they're just lying and they know)? This was done over three weeks ago with MANY sites already all over this topic. Don't tell me they don't read ANYTHING on the web. They are trying to make you believe you CAN'T overclock them, or at the very least it's too tough for us genius guys at THG...so you'll never be able to do it! MORE TOTAL BS from THG.

Oh, why doesn't anybody else have problems running KT266A chipset? Everybody says ROCK SOLID, TOTALLY STABLE etc..

One more thing, why not mention the fact that if you buy an ATHLON MP you're free to overclock it to whatever you want. Simply purchase an MP. No bridges to patch, no nothing. All you need is a motherboard that does NOT use dipswitches to change multiplier and your a HAPPY CAMPER.

Shibumi

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I have to wonder what they did with drivers and such to make the AMD unstable. I've got a rig simmilar to what they put up (KT266A MB, Athlon XP), and it's been the most stable system I've had.

Granted, AMD has a reputation of being somewhat less reliable, perhaps due to some historical truth, and likely due to other CPU competators. However, History is one thing, and the current day Athlons are quite stable when you get everything loaded correctly.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

eden

Champion
True, true...
Sure Intel is known for best stable processors, however I do not want to beleive that the AthlonXP I'm getting will be a hot house. Geez if it has cooling, it's fine!! It also depends on what kind of work you're doing to make the PC unstable!

Teknoman

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001
i have 7 friends all with amd systems they built on their own between 800 and 1.3. all running either win2k pro or win xp. I HAVE YET TO SEE ANY CRASH DO TO THE PROCESSOR. people still think this is 1999 and need i say more about other websites who have tested amds.

not really... It is interesting in that what you say proves who ever wrote the article is a hypocrite but says nothing about itnel or AMD processors.

Fact is i have a Duron 750 and i have yet to have a problem. I keep my computer on for days... been on for about a month now and not a problem. I have win 2k and i do some pretty heavy [-peep-]. TV tuner to watch TV, games, appliscation programming etc... so both processors are great! Just you're paying a premium for the "Intel" name. Is it worth it? They both work the same?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

G

AMD ROCKS!!! thank you and goodnight!!!!

My signature really sucks.

Abitols

Distinguished
May 26, 2001
If I'm not wrong Anand site reported some small instabilities issues with this Epox KT266A MB.

Let's wait for an ASUS or ABIT with more mature KT266A bios and drivers to see what happens.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do not believe that AMD chips are unstable. I do not believe that Tom's page lies or is biased. The general tone of the article is pro AMD XP. The charts show the XP ahead in benchmarks and way ahead in price for performance. The article even suggests that AMD charge more for their stuff cause it is worth it. I am not seeing an Intel bias, you AMD guys are paranoid.

What could have happened is maybe they got a marginal MB for the AMD systems. We sell ASUS stuff all the time and it is generally perfect but every once in a while even ASUS stuff is not quite right. Maybe the EPOX was slightly unstable. I fix stuff for a living and I'm saying that the chances for 5 AMD processors to all be unstable is very slim. The chances for a single MB to be questionable is more likely (in my opinion) then bad CPUs or Frank Völkel and Bert Töpelt being liars. The whole article is totally pro XP but they are gonna lie and say AMD is unstable???

I just read the section of the article that contains comment about stability and even Tom's is saying that it could be the MB. I hadn't read that part before typing the first part of this post. What is the problem it telling the truth?? Lets say you are a reviewer of hardware. You got lots of work to do and a deadline so you can't redo any of your work. Now lets say you have some minor problems with a reviewed system. The problems are not serious enough to stop the testing. What are you gonna do? Not even mention it? It seems to me that the responsible thing to do is mention the problem along with the likely cause. Exactly what they did. Take a pill puppies!

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I dont say is AMD are crash 2 time/hour but a P4 with win 2k with good setting and driver never crash.In real time with all kind of useur and software.You that via suck and you know it well.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I dont say is AMD are crash 2 time/hour but a P4 with win 2k with good setting and driver never crash.In real time with all kind of useur and software.You know well that via dont offer the same stability that intel chipset.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
near 90% of the computer that runing right now have old driver/bios/os so if your cpu/chipset cant work with that forget it.

Anyway many reviewer say that via unstable.

And we get again to one of the most donwload file the great THE ONE THE KING VIA 4in1.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
AMD chips are NOT (I repeat NOT!) unstable. I sell them day in day out. NO PROBLEMS if setup properly

Sio explain me why half of the post are T-bird/pal who dont work crash reboot slow.

I just want a explain.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Your point ov via is correct, many people have issues - the majority of which are due to a lack of technical knowledge to install.

To say P4 Win2K is more stable than AMD Win2K is inaccurate though. How about P4 on Intel chipset Win2K is more stable than P3 on Via chipset Win2k?

The point is that once, Via was the only choice for AMD users, now it is not. There are equivalent speed chipsets that have the 'out of the box' stability that Intel does.

In general, Intel boards are better supported natively under Windows, but then nVidia and ATI video cards do not work properly without the correct drivers and settings, so why should a chipset?

There is added knowledge and extra steps required for 3rd party chipsets over Intel's, however when properly done, there need not be issues. Sure there are some bad Via chipsets - but Intel has a few as well.

With the competition Via now has, it does not have the luxury of using the customer to alpha/beta it's drivers and boards, it must come out with better stuff. They will learn in time, as long as nVidia, Ali and SiS keep snapping at their heels...

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
::juin translation::

His first post.

I am not saying that amd systems crash every 2 hours and intel systems runs for days and weeks....then I lost it.

his second post:

Then tell me why half of the posts on this forum are tbirds palominos with crashing, slow rebooting, and issues.

My reply to his second statement.

Because 90% of the users of this forum have athlon pcs, and MOST athlon pcs are home built, while most intel pcs are bought from a company with tech support, so when the athlon has a problem, they come to websites like this for help,. but when most intels compys have issues they call dell. Make sense to you juin?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Matisaro,

You are doing well as JUIN translator. It is now your official position.

You will not be held responsible for the content of any translations that you post.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>