Chkdsk ran 8 hrs, then black screen, then weird startup screen, then..

Kayron

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
.. after 15 minutes of hanging in that weird startup screen, considering whether to hard reboot or not, it went into start repair (still there now)...

To make a long story short, I suspected something wrong with my hard drive due to a software giving me an i/o error, after some research (I am not knowledgable when it comes to computers), I ran chkdsk, when I woke up it was still running as it should be (in the process of 'replacing bad clusters' for certain files... so there was something wrong alright) and was at 28%.

After leaving my computer for ten minutes, I found my computer had gone to a black screen and seeing as I was reluctant to do a hard reboot, I waited it out and it moved to a windows safe mode startup screen... but only the big cursor and standard background was present, nothing else
254092d1360227205-chkdsk-ran-8-hrs-then-black-screen-then-weird-startup-screen-then-2013-02-07-08.52.16.jpg

After ten minutes it went to startup repair, which has been running for the past half hour.

What has happened during the ten minutes I was away and chkdsk was still only at 28%, why did the subsequent events unfold as they did? What can I do now??

flank2

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
transfer any important files off the drive asap. then run the drive manufacturers diagnostic test on the drive to scan for any errors, if errors are found rma or replace the drive.