Undead Cities

Tristan wrote:
> Why would undead make a city? What would their basic needs be?

I don't know that they would 'make a city' and thier basic needs depend
on which type of undead you are talking about.

most likey reason for an undead city would be the city was cursed or
whatnot when they were alive, or they all fell to some foul magic, or
magical disease then got up and went about thier business as usual, or
as closely as possible.

- Justisaur

Tristan wrote:

> Why would undead make a city? What would their basic needs be?

Sustenance in many cases - vampires, for instance. Those undead capable of
civilised activity - liches, for example - would need supplies, confederates,
and so on. A lich pursuing magical researches needs reagents, apprentices,
libraries, experimental subjects . . . urban society can supply these more
readily than life in an isolated rural tower, and urban laws can be structured
to protect undead from those who might object to their way of life. Cities
controlled by the undead may not be inhabited solely by the undead.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Asatoma sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrityorma anritam gamaya.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:18:19 -0400, Tristan wrote:

> Why would undead make a city?

For the same reasons as the living, I'm tempted to say.

> What would their basic needs be?
Food, shelter, company, hanging out in bars, going to the cinema or
church...

LL

Tristan wrote:

> The scene is this... a great war has just ended. The war was started
by a
> necromancer who, during the course of executing the war, sacked the
capitol
> city of the empire he was attempting to conquer. He transformed
nearly
> everything that was living in the city to undead. When the
necromancer was
> killed, those undead became free-willed.
>
> The manner of their creation leaves them fully able to recall their
previous
> life. Even the skeletons and zombies retain their mental attributes,

> skills, memories, etc. They are all, by nature evil however there
are
> avenues available for them to redeem themselves and become nuetral or
good
> while remaining undead. Some will choose this course of action, most
will
> remain evil.

> So basically, what I am trying to get at is what types of things go
on in an
> undead city. What their motivations for staying in the city would be
(got
> lots of ideas from here and WoTC boards on this). And basically what
types
> of fundmental differences will be found in this undead necropolis.

It sounds to me like this city would turn to chaos. Many of these
people would go mad when faced with this horrible state of
half-existence, harboring an intense self-loathing and desire for
revenge against the living.

Many might fear to leave the city as the walls would be a somewhat safe
(and familiar) haven, and most of these denizens would probably shuffle
about in perpetual sorrow and apathy. Some few might actually try to
"live" as they once did, doing chores that are now meaningless,
basically becoming a parody of what they once were. Children might
gather, but feel no joy or desire to play, and their parents may either
stop caring about them entirely, or become obsessively overprotective,
clinging to their humanity. Lovers might stay together for a time, but
their trysts would be macabre mockeries bereft of feeling or meaning,
ending only in despair.

Others might cling to something they held dear in life, and become
obsessive about it to the point that it is the only thing that gives
their existence meaning. A watchman may stand his post in a burned-out
quarter for decades, while an undead artist paints with a crackling,
dried brush; his paint long since dried and useless, and the color
appearing only in his feverish mind.

Still others would turn to rage instead of sadness, and may venture out
to kill living beings at random, either alone or in packs.

Those undead possessed of hunger (ghouls, vampires, etc.) would be
ruled by their appetites, and would act accordingly. Ghouls might roam
in packs and attack other undead in the city for feeding purposes; an
attack that the victims might actually welcome. Vampires would venture
out for victims, and may learn to use the "lesser" undead as pawns in
their machinations to acquire living blood.

And then, you have the few that keep their wits about them and seek
redemption. I could see an undead cleric that tries to instill hope in
the pitiful citizens of this city, and this individual might turn it
around for a few of the hardier and stronger-minded ones. It would be
these few stalwarts that might actually care about the outside world,
the Empire, and the cares of the living.

In essence, the city would likely be a hellish, numbing place to
visitors; haunted more than inhabited, and little more than a shadow of
what it once was. Undeath isn't just a state of mind, it's a complete
removal of everything that makes life worth living, while withholding
the mercy of oblivion. That these people retain their intelligence and
memories makes it a thousand times worse for them, and much more
dangerous for the rest of the world.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

"Tristan" <miraumar@korinth.com> wrote in message
> Why would undead make a city? What would their basic needs be?

I see a number of possible reasons why Undead would make cities.

1) The stuck in Humanity theory: Undead and those that have recently
become undead might be
clinging to their old ways. They might consider creating a city the
right thing to do because it offers
them protection against outside influences, it offers them a sense of
community, or just because
they blindly remember the importance of cities to the living and seek
to return to their old
way of life.

2) Traps Theory: Some undead, mostly intelligent undead might hope to
create cities that would
bring their prey to them. They might allow non-undead to exist in
their cities to act as both
an encouragement for others to come, and a means of masking their
presence. Cities might be
giant breeding grounds for food. What is better growing your own food
or seeking it out in cities
that might be heavily guarded by people not supportive of your very
nature.

3) Dark Gods Theory: Some undead worship dark gods, those gods might
wish them to create cities
in their honor, or create cities capable of producing an effect that
would allow the Dark God greater
access to the Prime.

As for Basic Needs, I believe I have covered a lot of them but I'll
give a short list below.

1) Food, having an ample supply of food set up in a system where you
control nearly everything might
be an undead rulers driving force. Not all undead suffer the need to
feed but those that do
and intelligent undead that require feeding could possibly attempt to
do so with the least amount of
trouble involved.

2)Shelter An underground city for vampires would offer protection from
the elements that
can harm them on a regular basis. Some undead will seek shelter in
order to, once again mask
their presence.

3)Memory: As I mentioned above some undead might be drawn to creating
cities because of past
memories that haunt them. These forces drive them to attempt to
maintain a human (dwarven, elven)
life.

4)Secrecy: Undead might develop cities in hidden locations hoping that
this will protect them from
the forces seeking to kill them.

5) Grand plans: Liches or other undead that are driven to perform
certain tasks, such as the creation
of magical items, spells or even the completion of a master plan,
might create cities so that
they can have all the things they might need at their disposal.

I think that's about all I have on the subject, but will continue to
read the thread giving input as I see
something.

Decaying Atheist wrote:
> 2) Traps Theory: Some undead, mostly intelligent undead might hope to

> create cities that would
> bring their prey to them. They might allow non-undead to exist in
> their cities to act as both
> an encouragement for others to come, and a means of masking their
> presence. Cities might be
> giant breeding grounds for food. What is better growing your own food

> or seeking it out in cities
> that might be heavily guarded by people not supportive of your very
> nature.

I love this idea!! A large city, teeming with life, secretly
controlled by vampires and liches who have worked out a compact to not
fight each other, but instead use the mortals as their pawns/food.
They might even be extremely benevolent, kind rulers, just as long as a
few of the cities vagabonds or adventurers occasionally disappear.
Perhaps they pose as an enlightened magocracy...

Occasionally, they provoke some monster into attacking the city, only
to defeat the monster using their powers, thus earning the love and
admiration of the populace.

Every few years, one of the ruling council "dies", and is replaced by
another member who has been off the council for a hundred years or so
(and living a new life as someone else). One strange thing about the
city, a decided lack of elves and dwarves. Long lived races are
"encouraged" to seek their fortunes elsewhere, either through
commisions in the the armed services, being put in charge of external
enterprises, or just flat out being eaten!!

Tristan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Thanks everyone for the replies so far... I will explain the reasons for my
questions and what I am trying to get at a little more completely...

The scene is this... a great war has just ended. The war was started by a
necromancer who, during the course of executing the war, sacked the capitol
city of the empire he was attempting to conquer. He transformed nearly
everything that was living in the city to undead. When the necromancer was
killed, those undead became free-willed.

The manner of their creation leaves them fully able to recall their previous
life. Even the skeletons and zombies retain their mental attributes,
skills, memories, etc. They are all, by nature evil however there are
avenues available for them to redeem themselves and become nuetral or good
while remaining undead. Some will choose this course of action, most will
remain evil.

They will seek peace with the empire as the war was not their war. They now
desire what pretty much everything alive (and undead) does - to survive.
They know that they are in world hostile to them.

www.korinth.com

Tristan wrote:
> Why would undead make a city? What would their basic needs be?

Why, to keep the paladins & good clerics out, of course.

The walls would be filled with cauldrons
of unholy water instead of boiling oil (or anarchic water, or both),
they wouldn't need to stock
supplies to withstand a siege, total cover protects agains turning, you
could put Desecrate on
all the possible breach points, etc. etc.

Tristan wrote:
> Why would undead make a city?

They have to live somewhere.

> What would their basic needs be?

Vampires need blood and shade.
Ghouls need meat.
Some others need life energy.
So many undead cities require human populace also.

Intelligent undead may want industry as industry can produce
wealth which can produce comfort, luxury, and/or power.

Some undead cities would be teh remains of cursed non-undead cities,
or the building up of a formerly used necropolis, once no one is
adding new tombs.

Needs?
Food, shelter, and entertainment.
Possibly necro-medical care....

Tristan wrote:
> Why would undead make a city?

They have to live somewhere.

Tristan wrote:

> The manner of their creation leaves them fully able to recall their
> previous life. Even the skeletons and zombies retain their mental
> attributes, skills, memories, etc.

For what it's worth, you might want to use the bone creature and corpse creature
templates from the Book of Vile Darkness to this end. Being designed for the
purpose of skeleton- and zombie-like intelligent, skilled undead, it will better
balance these undead against the rest of the game than just using skeletons and
zombies and arbitrarily allowing them to retain their abilities.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
understand?
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigeclasslist.html
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatelist.html

Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Asatoma sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrityorma anritam gamaya.

Suddenly, decalod85, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
exclaimed:

> Occasionally, they provoke some monster into attacking the city, only
> to defeat the monster using their powers, thus earning the love and
> admiration of the populace.

If the city is in a particularly dangerous area, the population may even
know and accept the nature of their leaders. Ever read the "The Lottery"?

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
> Tristan wrote:
>> Why would undead make a city?
>
> They have to live somewhere.
>
>> What would their basic needs be?
>
> Vampires need blood and shade.
> Ghouls need meat.
> Some others need life energy.
> So many undead cities require human populace also.
>
> Intelligent undead may want industry as industry can produce
> wealth which can produce comfort, luxury, and/or power.
>
> Some undead cities would be teh remains of cursed non-undead cities,
> or the building up of a formerly used necropolis, once no one is
> adding new tombs.
>
> Needs?
> Food, shelter, and entertainment.
> Possibly necro-medical care....

Come visit Dr. Cadaver

Your zombies sluggish? Your skeletons chipped? Vampires got a batch of
bad blood? We even do Mummy wrapping
changes. Contact Dr. Cadaver's office by sending, and we can schedule
your appointment at a time that works for you.

Office Visits: A 15 gold fee is charged for any office visit. Out
patient services require additional fees, and in house service lasting
longer then two days requires proof of insurance or cash up front.
Clients will be charged for missed appointments.

Dr. Cadaver is part of the Unholy alliance health care plan but takes
nearly any form of government sponsored insurance.

Dr. Cadaver does not condone the use of outside services such as the
incompetent Dr. Bones or that Hack Dr. Acula.

Tristan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

> For what it's worth, you might want to use the bone creature and corpse
> creature templates from the Book of Vile Darkness to this end.

I did just that.

Tristan

Decaying Atheist wrote:
> "Tristan" <miraumar@korinth.com> wrote in message
>
>>Why would undead make a city? What would their basic needs be?
>

> I see a number of possible reasons why Undead would make cities.
>
> 1) The stuck in Humanity theory: Undead and those that have recently
> become undead might be
> clinging to their old ways. They might consider creating a city the
> right thing to do because it offers
> them protection against outside influences, it offers them a sense of
> community, or just because
> they blindly remember the importance of cities to the living and seek
> to return to their old
> way of life.

Cue "Dawn of the Dead" and the scene in the shopping mall...

"Some Guy" <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote in message
> Decaying Atheist wrote:
>> "Tristan" <miraumar@korinth.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Why would undead make a city? What would their basic needs be?
>>

>> I see a number of possible reasons why Undead would make cities.
>>
>> 1) The stuck in Humanity theory: Undead and those that have
>> recently become undead might be
>> clinging to their old ways. They might consider creating a city the
>> right thing to do because it offers
>> them protection against outside influences, it offers them a sense
>> of community, or just because
>> they blindly remember the importance of cities to the living and
>> seek to return to their old
>> way of life.
>>
> Cue "Dawn of the Dead" and the scene in the shopping mall...

Excellent movie, and even the remake was pretty good.

"Tristan" <miraumar@korinth.com> you up next, work it out now.

>So basically, what I am trying to get at is what types of things go on in an
>undead city. What their motivations for staying in the city would be (got
>lots of ideas from here and WoTC boards on this). And basically what types
>of fundmental differences will be found in this undead necropolis.

One difference would probably be that there would be a good chance
that little or no items of any real value in the city would exist.

Many of the people with access to valuables (legal access or
otherwise) would probably use them to be raised/resurrected (since
they remember their lives, while some would choose to remain undead,
many would want to "get back to normal").

Bill
--
By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually
get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. - Robert Frost

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Tristan wrote:

> Why would undead make a city? What would their basic needs be?

Just as an aside, if you want to read about and possibly use a good city
like this, I'd suggest the first Lords of the Night book, Vampires, by
Bottled Imp Games. Avystervan and its Black Council make both excellent
reading AND most excellent source material.

HTH

I'm thinking you'd end up with a lot of suicides. I mean, these people
are faced with horribly unnatural death... and being turned to evil
besides. You'd end up with a lot of people just going out and ending it
all (which would be harder, for the undead, unless you were a vampire).
Most of these newly undead people wouldn't last very long; so you'd
have an empty sort of city, unless they tried to recruit, anyway.

Christopher Adams wrote:
> Tristan wrote:
>>The manner of their creation leaves them fully able to recall their
>>previous life. Even the skeletons and zombies retain their mental
>>attributes, skills, memories, etc.
> For what it's worth, you might want to use the bone creature and corpse creature
> templates from the Book of Vile Darkness to this end. Being designed for the
> purpose of skeleton- and zombie-like intelligent, skilled undead, it will better
> balance these undead against the rest of the game than just using skeletons and
> zombies and arbitrarily allowing them to retain their abilities.

Libri Mortis is also very good, and not so much focused on Evil. :)
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

Tristan wrote:
> So basically, what I am trying to get at is what types of things go on in an
> undead city. What their motivations for staying in the city would be (got
> lots of ideas from here and WoTC boards on this). And basically what types
> of fundmental differences will be found in this undead necropolis.

Walls protect both the alive, dead, and undead from outside forces. But you can
also now fill rooms or doors with say poisons or deadly fungai or other stuff
that feed off of living beings. Like have iocane powder just laying around,
blowing in the air from the Unseen Servants.

No bars, no inns, very few if any ameneties. I'm imagining it would look a lot
like an Army base barrack in it's utility. Sewar systems would be as viable as
traffic zones, as they don't have to worry about disease, though they could
still get eaten by those underground alligators.

Nothing else comes to mind.
--

~consul wrote:
> Christopher Adams wrote:
>> Tristan wrote:
>
>>> The manner of their creation leaves them fully able to recall their
>>> previous life. Even the skeletons and zombies retain their mental
>>> attributes, skills, memories, etc.
>>
>> For what it's worth, you might want to use the bone creature and corpse
>> creature templates from the Book of Vile Darkness to this end. Being
>> designed for the purpose of skeleton- and zombie-like intelligent,
>> skilled undead, it will better balance these undead against the rest of
>> the game than just using skeletons and zombies and arbitrarily allowing
>> them to retain their abilities.
>
> Libri Mortis is also very good, and not so much focused on Evil. :)

It's a good book (except for the summon undead spells, which still haven't been
updated for the revision), but it doesn't have intelligent skeleton- and
zombie-like templates. ;)

--

"Iridia" <s1416348@cedarville.edu> typed:

>I'm thinking you'd end up with a lot of suicides. I mean, these people
>are faced with horribly unnatural death... and being turned to evil
>besides. You'd end up with a lot of people just going out and ending it
>all (which would be harder, for the undead, unless you were a vampire).

It's quite easy for undead to suicide, as they don't appear to suffer
morale or pain effects, and die when they hit zero hp. So there's no
worry about just getting knocked unconscious.

Though if you're immune to poison, I suppose it's harder to take an
overdose...

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

"decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Decaying Atheist wrote:
>> 2) Traps Theory: Some undead, mostly intelligent undead might hope
>
>> create cities that would
>> bring their prey to them. They might allow non-undead to exist in
>> their cities to act as both
>> an encouragement for others to come, and a means of masking their
>> presence. Cities might be
>> giant breeding grounds for food. What is better growing your own
>> food
>
>> or seeking it out in cities
>> that might be heavily guarded by people not supportive of your very
>> nature.
>
> I love this idea!! A large city, teeming with life, secretly
> controlled by vampires and liches who have worked out a compact to
> not
> fight each other, but instead use the mortals as their pawns/food.
> They might even be extremely benevolent, kind rulers, just as long
> as a
> few of the cities vagabonds or adventurers occasionally disappear.
> Perhaps they pose as an enlightened magocracy...

Yes, although I'm sure there would still be a lot of polictical
fighting
going on. Under handed attempts to eliminate the other
leaders.

> Occasionally, they provoke some monster into attacking the city,
> only
> to defeat the monster using their powers, thus earning the love and
> admiration of the populace.

Yes, we all know Baron Falsting is a great man. Many times he has
came upon the battlefield at night, riding like the wind with a small
group of his loyal Followers. The Baron and his men, often return
before the sun rises, but always victories against our cities enemies.

> Every few years, one of the ruling council "dies", and is replaced
> by
> another member who has been off the council for a hundred years or
> so
> (and living a new life as someone else). One strange thing about
> the
> city, a decided lack of elves and dwarves. Long lived races are
> "encouraged" to seek their fortunes elsewhere, either through
> commisions in the the armed services, being put in charge of
> external
> enterprises, or just flat out being eaten!!

Although the thought of an Elven Vampire as supreme ruler might
be interesting. I don't think anybody would question why the elven
leader doesn't seem to be getting older, or losing some of his
senses. Elves are a long lived race, and most races know this.