Dell Inspiron 2500

After installing service pack 2 for Windows XP, I can not see my desktop
unless I start the system in safe mode.
Is this because of the current video drivers? My system has the Intel 82815
Graphics controller, driver version 6.13.01.3198. Dell's website only has
version 6.13.01.2872.
Or could it be from that the BIOS is needing upgraded? I currently have
version A10, Dell offers version A14.

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance,
Darrel
4 answers Last reply
More about dell inspiron 2500

    Dell recommends that you upgrade your BIOS and drivers before you install
    SP2.

    "Darrel Dobbs" <bdobbs@highland.net> wrote in message
    > After installing service pack 2 for Windows XP, I can not see my desktop
    > unless I start the system in safe mode.
    > Is this because of the current video drivers? My system has the Intel
    > 82815 Graphics controller, driver version 6.13.01.3198. Dell's website
    > only has version 6.13.01.2872.
    > Or could it be from that the BIOS is needing upgraded? I currently have
    > version A10, Dell offers version A14.
    >
    > Any idea's?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Darrel

    are you saying that the system continiously reboots unless you interupt it
    to start in safe mode?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;878474
    i recently found this behaviour on a 815 chipset pc after installing windows
    xp sp2 and culprit was netzero software installed on the system... please
    let us know what you determine to be the source of the problem in your case.

    "Darrel Dobbs" <bdobbs@highland.net> wrote in message
    > After installing service pack 2 for Windows XP, I can not see my desktop
    > unless I start the system in safe mode.
    > Is this because of the current video drivers? My system has the Intel
    82815
    > Graphics controller, driver version 6.13.01.3198. Dell's website only has
    > version 6.13.01.2872.
    > Or could it be from that the BIOS is needing upgraded? I currently have
    > version A10, Dell offers version A14.
    >
    > Any idea's?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Darrel

    The source of the problem was the Bios. After I upgraded to version A15 the
    problem was solved.

    > are you saying that the system continiously reboots unless you interupt it
    > to start in safe mode?
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;878474
    > i recently found this behaviour on a 815 chipset pc after installing
    > windows
    > xp sp2 and culprit was netzero software installed on the system... please
    > let us know what you determine to be the source of the problem in your
    > case.
    >
    > "Darrel Dobbs" <bdobbs@highland.net> wrote in message
    >> After installing service pack 2 for Windows XP, I can not see my desktop
    >> unless I start the system in safe mode.
    >> Is this because of the current video drivers? My system has the Intel
    > 82815
    >> Graphics controller, driver version 6.13.01.3198. Dell's website only
    >> has
    >> version 6.13.01.2872.
    >> Or could it be from that the BIOS is needing upgraded? I currently have
    >> version A10, Dell offers version A14.
    >>
    >> Any idea's?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Darrel

  4. Hi! These problem is solved in Dell Homepage :
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=E943A1ABAEF684F6E030030ABD620F2A&journalid=62A1DD39C2719349E040AE0AB5E164AA&Query=SW5zcGlyb24lZTIlODQlYTIrMjUwMCtIYXMrYStCbGFuaytTY3JlZW4rQWZ0ZXIrV2luZG93cyVjMiVhZStYUCtTUDIrSW5zdGFsbGF0aW9u&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_P3CG_2500&ServiceTag=&contenttype=-1&os=-1&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false#2

    Basically:

    Dell™ Inspiron™ 2500 Has a Blank Screen After Windows® XP SP2 Installation

    Journal ID: 0904209CW4
    Article ID: 275159
    Date Published: 1/14/2008
    Last Revised: 5/2/2008

    Table of Contents
    Problem
    Solution
    » Problem

    Windows XP loads, but when it loads the video card driver software, the screen turns blank. This occurs just after installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a Dell Inspiron 2500 because the video driver attempts to load a display mode that is not recognized by Windows.

    Back to Top

    » Solution

    Note:

    Administrative rights are required to perform these steps. Using an external monitor is helpful, if available.

    To resolve this issue, the box labeled Hide modes that this monitor cannot display will need to be unchecked. Once removed, if Service Pack 2 is not currently installed, you can proceed normally. If Service Pack 2 was installed and you are encountering a blank LCD screen, restart the system and boot into Safe Mode by pressing <F8> at the Dell splash screen. Choose Enable VGA Mode and press the Enter key.

    1.

    Click Start, then click Control Panel.
    2.

    Double-click Appearance and Themes.
    3.

    Double-click Display.
    4.

    Click the Settings tab.
    5.

    Click Advanced.
    6.

    Click the Monitor tab.
    7.

    Locate the Refresh Frequency field.
    8.

    Click the check to remove it from Hide modes that this monitor cannot display (Figure 1).

    Figure 1: The Monitor tab
    9.

    Click Apply.
    10.