All,
I have a DELL Dimension V, basically a PII 450MHz with
originally 128MB of RAM. I've upgraded the RAM to 256MB,
the HDD to 30 GB but is there any ways to upgrade the CPU
to something a little bit faster??
Cheers
13 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. I know this is a longshot, but you might want to call Dell. For the 450 machines (450 was the split in time when Intel went from P2 to P3), some of the Dell mobos were made to support the newer P3 chips, while others were made to only handle P2s (i don't remember, was it the chipset?). You may have to update the BIOS, but that's the BCS. You may be looking at a new mobo *shrugs*

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games
  2. Thanks for your reply.
    So you think I may be able to put in a new PIII CPU, right?
    up to which speed? What does BCS stand for?
  3. You might. It's kind of a long shot. I only know 1 system shipped with that board. BCS is best case scenario (sorry, something i picked up from my g/f :)). Speedwise, probably up to 800 (estimate).

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games
  4. Like somebody mentioned, your motherboard may be able to support PIII's. If it has a BX chipset you would still be limmited to the 100MHz bus version. If it has an i810, i815, i820, or i840 chipset, you can use the faster 133MHz bus version.
    Even if it doesn't support the newer Coppermine PIII, it will still support the old "Katmai" core PIII, which was available up to 600MHz. The Katmia had 512k of half-speed off-die cache, the Coppermine has 256k of full speed on-die cache.

Back to you Tom...
  5. My old Dell P400 could be upgraded with a slot version of the P3 100Mhz FSB all the way up to 1Ghz. It was way too expensive to go about that upgrade though compared to buying all new components that are faster and better today. Nonetheless it only requires a bios upgrade.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
  6. I would agree, instead of buying a good ol' p3 with a 100mhz fsb, why not get a whole new mobo/cpu? ex: ecs k75sa w/ TBird 1ghz (faster then any p3 i believe) for $130, while a p3 chip at the same clock speed but not same performance cost $145, for the chip itself

(prices obtain through pricewatch)
  7. Cool man x is correct, there is no financial reason to choose a p3 upgrade over a tbird overhaul, ESPECIALLY, when you consider the fact he still would have almost a whole working system left to sell after the athlon upgrade.

~Matisaro~
    "The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    ~Tbird1.3@1.5~
  8. Show me then! I have yet to be corrected by the likes of you!

Back to you Tom...
  9. This should be good.

::watches::

~Matisaro~
    ~Tbird1.3@1.5~
  10. LOL, he's usually quicker to respond than this!

Back to you Tom...
  11. Either hes busy putting out all the volcano 6c fires he started, or hes desperatly searching for a review site which has a engineering sample of that chip heh.

~Matisaro~
    ~Tbird1.3@1.5~
  12. Confusion from Intel's product line has lead many astray. The 600 was available in FOUR flavors, 600, 600B, 600E, 600EB! Only one of those works on old motherboards!
    Then if you count the two different FORMS for the 600E and 600EB (slot one, socket 370), that brings you up to 6 flavors! FOR ONE SPEED! And STILL only ONE of the six works on many older motherboards!

Back to you Tom...
  13. Thanks a lot all for your comments and suggestions.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM Dimension Dell Hard Drives