ASUS P3B-F + intel 1100Mhz PIII: won't boot

G

Hi there!
I put an Intel 1,1GHZ PentiumIII FSB100 1,75V coppermine-FC-PGA-CPU on my ASUS P3B-F motherboard, Rev1.04 and it doesn't boot: black screen.
The CPU was fixed on a MSI MS6905-MASTER REV:2 Slot1-Adapter (Slocket) and NOT on the original ASUS S370-Adapter.

ASUS says on their website, this CPU will run on this board-rev. . I tried all the jumpers on the slocket and also on the motherboard: no effect.

When I put my old i550Mhz-P3 (boxed ver.) back into the slot1 all works fine!

So my questions:
1. Has anyone an ASUS P3B-F AND a 1100MHz CPU running?
2. Has anyone the original ASUS S370-Slocket-card on this mainboard? Which CPU do you use?

Greetings
cumine

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what BIOS rev do you have?

checkout this <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw\products\techref\Cpu\Coppermine\index.html" target="_new">Asus support page</A> for Coppermine compatibility chart.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

it runs!

I got a tip to remove all cpus and then switch on the pc!
Sounds strange, but it worked! The pc gave short alarm beeps when running without a cpu.
Than I switched off the system, put the new 1100 mhz cpu into the slot-1 and switched on: Full support, all parts running.
Why doesn't ASUS give us a tip like this one on their websites?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes it could be, I once got a 700/100/slotket to work that way on a P2B-F that had a P-II 350 earlier.

Actually since nothing was showing up, I tried to see if the board was okay, so removed everything from the mobo and started, nothing happened. then i put back the processor and started it worked! I dint get that time it was the thing that was to be done.

Maybe the capacitors on the processor/cartridge/motherboard hold the pin status of the older processor for a while. reoving the CPU discharges them and you can then put in the new processor. upgrading a processor from the same core might not create his problem since the pins are the same.

maybe. one more tip to our troubleshooting site.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS