  • Dell
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
September 24, 2004 8:44:08 PM

Hello,

I've got a Dell 4500 that I've had for almost 2 years and I've noticed in
the last few days that it can't seem to keep time. I"ve had to reset the
clock twice.

Could it be that the battery on my motherboard is starting to loose juice
and fail? This system really isnt' THAT old! But I've remember that it
did used to forget my drive settings from time to time. I used to have an
IDE and an SATA drive drive installed and they would switch drive positions
(master/slave - primary/secondary or something like that). I'd save the
settings all would work fine for a few days and then all of a sudden it
wouldn't boot! I'd have to go back into the system setup and change it
again. And then again and again and then again.......

Do I have a battery going lame on me?

Thanks,

Jeff

More about : dell 4500 time

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:47:37 PM

Replace the battery. If you are not only losing the date and time,
but the configuration settings the battery is the most likely culprit.
For a $3 investment it's not worth the time and trouble wondering if
the battery is failing prematurely. Any computer store or Radio Shack
will carry a replacement.

!