Dell 4500 can't seem to keep time!

Hello,

I've got a Dell 4500 that I've had for almost 2 years and I've noticed in
the last few days that it can't seem to keep time. I"ve had to reset the
clock twice.

Could it be that the battery on my motherboard is starting to loose juice
and fail? This system really isnt' THAT old! But I've remember that it
did used to forget my drive settings from time to time. I used to have an
IDE and an SATA drive drive installed and they would switch drive positions
(master/slave - primary/secondary or something like that). I'd save the
settings all would work fine for a few days and then all of a sudden it
wouldn't boot! I'd have to go back into the system setup and change it
again. And then again and again and then again.......

Do I have a battery going lame on me?

Thanks,

Jeff
1 answer Last reply
More about dell 4500 time

    Replace the battery. If you are not only losing the date and time,
    but the configuration settings the battery is the most likely culprit.
    For a $3 investment it's not worth the time and trouble wondering if
    the battery is failing prematurely. Any computer store or Radio Shack
    will carry a replacement.

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:44:08 -0700, "Jeff M. Ingram"
    <ingramje29@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I've got a Dell 4500 that I've had for almost 2 years and I've noticed in
    >the last few days that it can't seem to keep time. I"ve had to reset the
    >clock twice.
    >
    >Could it be that the battery on my motherboard is starting to loose juice
    >and fail? This system really isnt' THAT old! But I've remember that it
    >did used to forget my drive settings from time to time. I used to have an
    >IDE and an SATA drive drive installed and they would switch drive positions
    >(master/slave - primary/secondary or something like that). I'd save the
    >settings all would work fine for a few days and then all of a sudden it
    >wouldn't boot! I'd have to go back into the system setup and change it
    >again. And then again and again and then again.......
    >
    >Do I have a battery going lame on me?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jeff

Dell Computers