Sign in with
Your question

Pentium4 questions: raystonn? anybody?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2001 12:02:10 AM

Three questions:

1. why precisely does the Pentium4 require pore 'juice' in the form of 2 additional leads from the psu? (long 4-5 pin one and the square 4 pin one)
2. Is it just for rdram boards, or all p4's?

3. what are the standard specifications for the P4 HSF? bigger than 60mm x 60mm im figuring by pics ive seen.

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

More about : pentium4 questions raystonn

November 2, 2001 4:25:08 AM

the P4 needs a lot of power, especially at a low voltage of 1.7/1.75V, P=VxI makes the current larger for larger power. Typically, a 2 GHz P4 takes 42A@1.75V to consume about 65W of power. 42A is, plus most of the other components also need more power, especially modern graphics chips. The older ATX2.01 spec does not specify current ratings this high. That is why they revised the spec to 2.03 and added a extra connector to support this higher current requirement. Actually, lightly loaded P4 systems might work fine with older ATX PSUs, but why take risk? They might turn into unstable systems or burn the PSU/motherboard out.

This huge power consumption of P4 results in larger heat generated. larger heatsinks are required to take this heat off the chip. i dont have the link off hand, but you can find a separate doc on P4 thermal design on P4 appnotes page.

girish

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
November 2, 2001 11:47:43 PM

cool neat.
thanx...
that fits in with the high wattage outputs i just posted here on toms...
lucky the p4 has that big heatspreader then...
suppose thats the only think keeping the chip from becomming a mini sun lol

actually... just yesterday i saw a new mobo review for the p4. and in addition to the atx connector and the two special 12v p4 connectors it also had a 4pin molex connector on the mobo!
so if your psu didnt have the extra connectors (ie. a cheap and nasty psu) you could connect up a molex connector for the extra 12v juice.

i see corners being cut here...

Related resources
November 2, 2001 11:56:24 PM

"why precisely does the Pentium4 require pore 'juice' in the form of 2 additional leads from the psu?"

This processor core is designed to ramp up to 10GHz. The extra power lines are added so the motherboard does not have to route power as far to get it to the processor. Routing a great deal of power through a motherboard can cause that motherboard to heat up and will decrease its life expectancy. We all want our hardware to last as long as possible.

"Is it just for rdram boards, or all p4's?"

It is for all Pentium 4 processors.

"what are the standard specifications for the P4 HSF? bigger than 60mm x 60mm im figuring by pics ive seen."

I can look this up if you really want to know. What I can tell you offhand is the default fan runs at about 3000rpm. Additionally, the 'heat spreader' can actually be removed to expose the core. The substance used between the core and heat spreader is not as good as something like Artic Silver. So if you want to push your processor and heat is still a problem, try replacing the heat spreader with Artic Silver and a good HSF or waterblock.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
November 3, 2001 2:09:45 AM

interesting. thanx ray...
now, do u know of anyone who has actually done that? to see if it goes better WITHOUT the spreader???
(though i bet if u do that u expose yourself to the 'cracked core' issues same as the athie.

Related resources
!