CPU at 80 C??? What's wrong?

stryker115

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
I just built myself a new computer with an Athlon XP 1700... when I boot it up and check out the BIOS... it says my system temp is 30 C... and CPU is 80 C!! And that's without me doing anything! I installed the heatsink (as far as I can tell) correctly - however, when I opened the boxed processor there was no little tag to pull off the compound on the bottom of the heatsink - could something have happened to it? I know I can't run anything at temps this bad... and I have 3 system fans. I need help!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Is it an asus motherboard?

If it is the temp reading is likely way high, when you run it does it freeze up?

If it dosent freeze up I would say it was fine, and just continue on using it.

If you dont like being that high, remove the heatsink and clean off the paste glue stuff with alchohol and a damp cloth, let it totally dry and put some heatsink paste on there.(you can get generic stuff from radioshack, but arctic silver is the best, its like 5 bucks a tube online).
Place the heatsink paste on the heatsink and apply as directed, then reinstall the heatsink.

This should lower your temps somewhat, if they are still high it is most likely a misreading(especially if it does not lock up just runs hot.)

Make sure you arent overclocking your processor.

After all is done, run toast(see raystonns is your athlon stable thread) and if it does not freeze after an hour of toast you are completely stable.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

stryker115

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
It is a Gigabyte mobo... I'm also going to get the latest BIOS to see if that has anything to do with Athlon XP compatibility. I haven't tried running anything because I am afraid of damaging my processor... won't I damage it if I keep it like that? I tried lowering the FSB to 100 instead of 133... temp still is at 67 C though... I am not overclocking, at 133 it said 1447 MHz... isn't that what the Athlon XP 1700 runs at? Thanks for your help

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
That's the speed of the 1700+. As far as the heat goes, are you using the standard HS? Or did you buy a custom one? Also, do you have a case fan? If you don't, you should at least install one.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

stryker115

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Yep, I'm using the stock heat sink/fan that came with the boxed processor. I have 3 case fans.. it's a Lian Li Aluminum case... so my system temp is below 30 C but the CPU temp is still very high. Now, I tried taking the heat sink back off to try putting it back on in case I did something wrong... but it seems like i have to apply a lot of pressure to try and get it off and I don't want to damage it. Argggh!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's funny, I though I heard a lot of barking from some AMDpups about THG being wrong on the advice to spend at least $40 for a good hsf.

add $40 to the retail AXP1700+/-, the Alpha PAL8045 cha ching! bling bling!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Wusy, the stock fan is ABSOLUTLY perfect for the non overclocker, it is quiet and perfectly fine.

Dont feed the troll meltdown by making people think they have to spend extra for an athlon cpu.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Temperature migh be ok. Try using <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor 5.1</A>.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I know the stock hsf is not going to keep you in the 40's, I also know that unless you are overclocking that does not matter.

The retail hsf will keep the cpu in the mid 50's and as long as it does not lock up at stock speeds(which it does not even on a 1.4ghz tbird I can tell you from experience) then it is serving its purpose of effectivly cooling the cpu.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

stryker115

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Well guys, I decided there must be something wrong with the heat sink... so I tried a new one called the Orb from Thermal Solutions or some company like that (can't remember it off hand) and now my CPU runs at a comfy 47 C... I guess there was something wrong with the one that came with it... thanks for all your help!

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was thinking how in the world a Orb could have beaten a stock cooler at that high of a clock speed.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS