Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need Guidance! Want Re-installation Of Windows 7 Pro.

Last response: in Windows 7
February 7, 2013 11:39:02 AM

Hello all,

I'm looking for some help here, I wish to re-install Windows 7 Pro on my Dell Latitude E5400. Here's the scenario: I was given a used Dell Latitude E5400 laptop. After examining the laptop itself I noticed the laptop has a Windows 7 Pro COA sticker on it under the battery. I booted the laptop up to the Welcome Screen but the OS that loaded was Windows XP. First, after finding a "solution" to log into the password protected adminstrator account (all accounts were password protected, even the safe mode adminstrator account and no the password was not password or blank), I logged in to check everything out. The OS is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 32-Bit. The product key/id seems to be OEM which is confusing since the laptop has a Windows 7 Pro COA sticker. Before I really cared what the OS was, I tuned up the computer by uninstalling certain programs, editing msconfig startup tab, using ccleaner, editing performance options, using disk cleanup & defragmenter, and lastly changing the registered owner in regedit. Now I would like to have the Windows 7 OS as this would be my first time owning a pc with 7 installed on it (I've only had Windows XP or earlier). I was told by a friend that if I wanted the Windows 7 OS I could contact DELL to get a re-installation disc but I don't know if that will fly; on the Windows 7 re-installation cd request form you need the purchaser's full name and original address. Another thing is, and I guess this would because the OS is not Windows 7, the laptop does not have Dell DataSafe on it. So is there a way for me to put Windows 7 Pro on this laptop using the product key that is on the COA sticker and if so how can I find out if it's a 32 or 64 Bit version?
February 7, 2013 11:56:33 AM

Copy off any documents/media that you want to keep to an external source, then use a Win7 Installation disc - license keys aren't linked to individual architecture, you would select the OS based on your needs and what the processor will support. The E5400 might be a bit of a crap shoot for x64 support - there were a lot of different generations of processors you could spec that with over the time that model was in deployment from Dell. Regardless, the most ram you can install in the laptop is 4GB so you're not getting that much benefit from the 2 different versions in terms of memory usage.

Make sure to download drivers for that laptop from support.dell.com - Windows 7 is pretty marvelous and may grab most of them for you but if your NIC isn't among the drivers on the install disc then you'll have to do them all manually. Chipset, Audio, Video, NIC & wireless NIC are the most important ones.

If you have a functioning version of Office on that laptop, you might want to run a belarc scan to try to obtain the license key - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Related resources
February 8, 2013 2:22:49 AM

rgd1101 said:
if they didn't remove the recovery partition, backup your data, do a factory system restore.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/late5400/...

Under administrative tools>computer managment>storage>disk management

The hard drive shows that two partitions are on the drive:
The OS partition and a partition by the name of EISA configuration.

Under My computer there is just the hard drive, I'm not seeing a recovery partition. I'm assuming that I do not have one.

game junky said:
Copy off any documents/media that you want to keep to an external source, then use a Win7 Installation disc - license keys aren't linked to individual architecture, you would select the OS based on your needs and what the processor will support. The E5400 might be a bit of a crap shoot for x64 support - there were a lot of different generations of processors you could spec that with over the time that model was in deployment from Dell. Regardless, the most ram you can install in the laptop is 4GB so you're not getting that much benefit from the 2 different versions in terms of memory usage.

Make sure to download drivers for that laptop from support.dell.com - Windows 7 is pretty marvelous and may grab most of them for you but if your NIC isn't among the drivers on the install disc then you'll have to do them all manually. Chipset, Audio, Video, NIC & wireless NIC are the most important ones.

If you have a functioning version of Office on that laptop, you might want to run a belarc scan to try to obtain the license key - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

How can I get my hands on an Win7 installation disc? I'm don't think I can request one due to the reason I stated earlier...
February 8, 2013 10:53:53 AM

Ok, will look into buying a disc. The sticker does say DELL but that's about it. However I'm not sure if the laptop is 64-bit capable but I may just get the 32 because of game junky's reasoning unless anybody knows if my laptop is 64 bit capable.
The other thing I am unsure about is if the laptop ever even had Windows 7 Pro on it. I did some research on the laptop and I found out the laptop came with a few options:
1. One website stated you can get the laptop with Windows Vista or Windows XP Pro downgrade.
2. The most recent website I came across stated OS provided is Windows 7 Professional / XP Professional downgrade.

My question is, is it possible DELL could have put a Win 7 coa sticker on the laptop (with 7 installed) then downgraded it and sold it with XP Pro? I wish I had more evidence that the laptop did in fact at one point had 7 pro on it.

Best solution

February 8, 2013 12:28:22 PM

Yes, it's possible that it was factory downgraded or that someone manually installed XP on that machine.

In your shoes, I would download Win7Pro x86 and create a bootable USB drive with that iso. Here's a link with a download source.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-imag...
a b D Laptop
a c 371 $ Windows 7
February 8, 2013 12:54:56 PM

You can use the above download of windows 7 32 bit,but when you activate you'll have to use phone option to validate.
February 9, 2013 12:23:14 PM

Sounds good to me, I will give this method a try. Thanks!
February 10, 2013 4:26:59 PM

game junky said:
Yes, it's possible that it was factory downgraded or that someone manually installed XP on that machine.

In your shoes, I would download Win7Pro x86 and create a bootable USB drive with that iso. Here's a link with a download source.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-imag...

Ok so I have yet to try to install Windows 7. I did however discover that my XP Pro OS is OEM so it is 99.9% a downgrade. I just have three questions;
1. If I install Windows 7 Pro x86 and for some reason it doesn't work out can I go back to Pro easily? Will the install be a clean install or upgrade?
2. How can I still keep my Microsoft Office 2007 Standard Edition if I install Windows 7? Do I copy all the files to an external source or something? (I do have both the product id and cd key from using magical jellybean keyfinder).
3. Can I just download the .iso, format a 8GB usb stick, extract the .iso files onto the usb stick, then boot/install Windows 7 from there once I set the computer to boot from the usb stick first? I tried to use Win 7 USB/DVD tool to the .iso on my memory stick but when I selected the downloaded .iso it said it was an invalid .iso so...

***UPDATE****

I have successfully installed Windows 7 Pro x86 on my laptop. The .iso I downloaded from the site link given, during the installation, however gave me the dreaded "no device drivers were found" message. I went and downloaded another .iso from a different site and that .iso worked but I had to install it while being signed in to an administrator account and not through boot up. It's nice that I didn't have to phone in to activate, it did so online. Also I was able to reinstall Microsoft Office 2007 just fine with Microsoft's Office 2007 backup media download; just need your product key and a microsoft account. Thanks everyone for the help!
February 14, 2013 11:07:55 AM

Best answer selected by thegraves29.
a c 248 D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2013 7:33:38 PM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
!