Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2001 4:14:38 PM

SERIOUS STABILITY PROBLEMS

My hardware config is:

Athlon 1.4GHz
512MB PC2100 (1dimm Micron/1dimm Crucial timing set to fast)
ABIT KG7
IBM 60GXP 60GB
ASUS V7100 Pro

The problem is that EXPLORER.EXE crashes (instruction ... referenced memory ...
memory cannot be read/written) almost only when I press the start button in w2k. It
happens randomly. I have reinstalled W2k and tried with SP2 but the problem persists.

Do you know anyone who has had a similar problem? I have done no O/C and I wonder if it

could be a hardware problem. But the computer is completely stable when running heavy duty

3D like wolfMP test, DroneXmark and 3Dmark2000-1.

PLEASEEE ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME!!!

More about : stability problems

November 2, 2001 5:03:32 PM

try setting your mem timings to normal.

did you monitor the temperature? i guess since its stable under load, the cooling is okay, just the RAM is run too fast.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
November 2, 2001 5:06:48 PM

This is normal operating procedure for AMD owners, nothing is wrong.

Enjoy your AMD.

Must be alot of fun to crash in the middle of stuff =)
Related resources
November 2, 2001 5:07:49 PM

it seems to be a memory problem, explorer.exe crashed on my pc a few times, and it is the only one file that crashes, maybe it has some instruction sequence that is sensitive to memory access.

try running memory at the slowest speed (CAS3/slow timings)

November 2, 2001 5:09:54 PM

it happened to a celeron!

November 2, 2001 5:13:46 PM

Quote:
it happened to a celeron!

It did?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
November 2, 2001 5:25:06 PM

IIRC, Crucial RAM is rated for CAS2.5. If it's just a single 512MB DIMM, I'm <b>99.9% certain</b> that it's not specced to run stable at CAS2--and having your memory timings set to "fast" sounds too much like you're running it at CAS2. Try what girish said--clock the memory back to "normal" or CAS2.5 and see what happens.

Also, what's your power supply rated at?

Oh, and FUGGER:
If AMD chips suck so badly, why does Intel use AMD chips on MSI Global boards? :lol: 

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."
November 2, 2001 5:26:42 PM

yup!

it was a Celron 400 on a 440EX board running a PC66 CAS3 memory. It was back in Oct'99! I tried to run the mem faster by setting all the timings to 2. it counted the memory, booted fine till the task bar was available. the moment I moved my mouse on the tray icon to remove it and crash! explorer.exe threw a GPF! dont know why since it should have been rundll.exe that should have caused the fault.

windows is weird!

I then reset CMOS and started the computer and it was fine again!

November 2, 2001 5:27:51 PM

AMD is getting very sloppy in the performance race, they better get their cooling under control soon or Im gonna get banned from this board with my undless supply of broken AMD's to bash at constantly.
November 2, 2001 5:34:21 PM

Hmmm, that must be why P4's are running at higher temps than my T-bird 1.33GHz. :tongue:

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."
November 2, 2001 5:36:50 PM

Oh, I thought you meant that Mulder's was a Celeron.

FUGGER, how does having the fastest CPU make you "sloppy" in the performance sector?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
November 2, 2001 5:37:48 PM

they are not out of performance race. they give a lot more performance/MHz than the peep4

I wonder could Fredi actually ban you for life, but we will miss aome real entertainment though!

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2001 5:40:53 PM

before explorer.exe crashes
the start menu gets corrupted:

one or two icons are altered and for example in My Documents in start menu

memory is set to "normal" CAS2.5
November 2, 2001 5:41:22 PM

"why does Intel use AMD chips on MSI Global boards? " - link please.
November 2, 2001 5:47:58 PM

fugger has been taken for a ride by intel that MHz is everything.

now soon he will learn that <font color=green>it is not necessary to improve performance by increasing MHz!</font color=green>

then next year, next class if he gets through, he will learn that <font color=red>it is also possible to actually <i>screw up</i> performance <i>even after</i> increasing performance!</font color=red>

Let the <font color=orange>Celeron4</font color=orange> + <font color=blue>i845G + SDRAM</font color=blue> + <font color=orange>intergrated graphics</font color=orange> arrive!!

girish

November 2, 2001 5:55:39 PM

how do they look? no icon (the default icon) or something strange? can you see the hex dump when windows notifies of the crash? i mean what module did explorer.exe caused the fault?

November 2, 2001 6:02:01 PM

Believe it or not, or simply go browse CT Marketplace somewhere. This is a bit I picked up from my past working with Intel/Dialogic hardware, and I'm not able to readily provide an image of an MSI Global board and all the 60-odd AMD logos on it.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2001 6:05:51 PM

no icon or simple lines highlighting a not to be seen icon,
once I get this corruption in Start menu I know that very soon explorer.exe will crash with the usual message. At least it doesnt freeze so I go to task manager close all programs and restart....
November 2, 2001 6:10:27 PM

you work with Intel/Dialogic cards?

I needed one V4/PCI, but wasnt able to get a decent price, it went all over from $700 to $1200, but the budget wasnt this high. it translates into Rs.35,000~60,000 in India, thats huge!

then I finally settled for a simple D-Link internal modem, not the best solution, but worked although I had to drop a number of features in the product.

Yes I have seen intel branded products carrying AMD chips - one more vote fugger!

November 2, 2001 6:16:36 PM

How long does it take for this to happen?

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:
November 2, 2001 6:16:53 PM

try booting into safe mode and working for a while. it will rule out any third party drivers or dlls peeking in.

if it doesnt work, try lowering the RAM timings still lower, like slow settings and CAS3. its sure memory timing problem.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2001 6:20:04 PM

once this happens after I load a couple of programs from start menu EXPLORER.EXE goes awry...
November 2, 2001 6:28:35 PM

I Can also prove this theory...not only this......here....i know its not Processor wise but NetScout Networking Probes use AMD Flash and Core Logic chips to Run the Intel 486 and/or Pentium MMX Chips that are used to Control there Networking Probes...... and on the box there are big Intel Inside stickers (whcih is controleld by an AMD Chip) heh heh

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
November 2, 2001 6:56:12 PM

Could be a virus. Try running a virus scanner on the system.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2001 7:21:47 PM

I actually found a worm (I-worm.Magistr) yesterday in Outlook (which by the way uses EXPLORER.EXE to hide), I uninstalled Outlook, I scanned again and found nothing.
But it keeps crashing.

I will try with another virus scanner...
November 2, 2001 7:49:12 PM

I read that the worm infects not just outlook...since it's memory resident, it probably got into your registry and win.ini, autorunning itself every time you restart the computer...
November 2, 2001 8:56:24 PM

Did your PC have any of these problems before your PC got infected by the worm? I would back-up all of your important data and do a reformat.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>
!