Sign in with
Your question

Cant remove "Read-only" Attribute!

Last response: in Windows 7
May 17, 2010 5:23:57 PM

I just installed Windows 7. I cant new drag files to iTunes, i think that is because the "Read-only" attribute off my User. I go to properties, untick "Read-only" and press ok, it loads up but it doesnt remove the attribute. Can anyone help me?

More about : remove read attribute

a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2010 7:12:03 PM

Unifried said:
I just installed Windows 7. I cant new drag files to iTunes, i think that is because the "Read-only" attribute off my User. I go to properties, untick "Read-only" and press ok, it loads up but it doesnt remove the attribute. Can anyone help me?

http://img704.imageshack.us/i/img1tx.png/
http://img17.imageshack.us/i/img3ul.png/
http://img156.imageshack.us/i/img2e.png/

Have you tried using the ATTRIB command in the Command Prompt? Hit the Windows key and R at the same time and type cmd /k attrib /? and the black form will give you all the options. From memory I think it's attrib -r +s C:\{foldername}\*.* but check that first.

m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
May 17, 2010 7:27:58 PM

Unifried said:
i think that is because the "Read-only" attribute off my User.

What do you mean by "Read-only attribute off my user"? Are you going to the properties of some file? If so, which file, and where is it located.

Note that you can't turn off the "read-only" attribute files on an optical disc because the disc itself is read-only and can't be modified.
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2010 3:00:24 PM

sminlal said:
What do you mean by "Read-only attribute off my user"? Are you going to the properties of some file? If so, which file, and where is it located.

Note that you can't turn off the "read-only" attribute files on an optical disc because the disc itself is read-only and can't be modified.

C:\Users\Username

Cant remove the read only attribute on that folder.

Btw, im not talking about the disc.

Note that you can't turn off the "read-only" attribute files on an optical disc because the disc itself is read-only and can't be modified.[/quotemsg]

Saga Lout said:
Have you tried using the ATTRIB command in the Command Prompt? Hit the Windows key and R at the same time and type cmd /k attrib /? and the black form will give you all the options. From memory I think it's attrib -r +s C:\{foldername}\*.* but check that first.

I dont think im doing it right

I typed in "C:\Users\Username\*-r*". I dont think that is right keeps Saying: 'What ever i typed' is not recognised as a internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2010 3:06:48 PM

You can't remove the Read-Only attribute... and you shouldn't need to. Obviously, you can still create new files and modify those files within that folder... so the Read Only attribute has no effect on that.
m
l
May 18, 2010 3:16:45 PM

So why cant i drag any files on iTunes? I could add music to it (via File>Add files to library) but cannot sync, it keeps saying that "Cannot find file" but i can still play it, this issue happened straight after installing Windows 7. Also, some installers keeps saying "Cant find harddrive" I just keep clicking ok, then it continues installing.
m
l
!