Sign in with
Your question

help with deciding on new computer to buy

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2001 8:39:47 PM

hey, im new here, and my computer is a sloshy (dont laugh) p1, 166mhz 32 megs of ram gateway. this christmas im hoping to get my own computer.

I want to be able to record music into my computer. not like cds and mp3s and stuff, but i want to be able to record my guitar playing and maybe later on some drums and vocals. and then burn the songs onto a cdr. where can i get a computer built for me that will be able to record tracks, mix them,burn and all that good stuff? it doesnt really need to be a powerhouse for games and stuff, and preferably should be a laptop so i can take it back and forth to my friends little mini studio at his place.

any help would be greatly appreciated

More about : deciding computer buy

November 3, 2001 9:17:57 PM

I don't know of many lap tops that have quality sound hardware to record like you would like. For a desk top system, you would want a computer that has either a Soundblaster Live Platinum, or Soundblaster Audigy Platinum (Ex optional). They have all the recording ports you could need in the front of the computer, and usualy some nice software too. The Audigy Platinum Ex has a few extra recording software utilities as well as the box that you can record stuff with is mobile.

Of course, you would want a CD-burner as well, probably a lot of memory (512 MB), and you probably don't need a top of the line CPU, so a 1 Ghz Athlon might sufice, or perhaps an Athlon XP 1500+. Geforce 2 MX400 should suit you quite nicely, as a good balance between performance and price. You'd want a large HD, but you would want it quiet and performance isn't as much of an issue, so perhaps a 100 GB 5400 RPM drive.

Another option to make things portable, is to get a Quick system hard drive of about 20 GB, and then install a removable HD rack in your comp so you can tote the one that has all your songs and such on it to your friends. He'd need to get one as well, and they aren't hot swappable (You'd have to shut it down to install), but they're a cheep way to tote large ammounts of data around, and you could put your 100 GB drive in there. You'd just have to be carefull when moving the HD around, as they are fragile.

If you realy want a lap top, I'd recomend IBM, Gateway, or Compaq. Check out their websites and see what they have, but the audio quality will probably not be as good with the built in sound cards they have.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2001 9:32:19 PM

thanks for the help. i will look into that soundblaster stuff soon
!